Anatomy Resources - Detailed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FacialNerveFan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm super interested in anatomy - taken multiple cadaver courses, TA'd, tutored, etc.
I'm looking for a detailed resource (preferable textbook) to use to study cranial nerves. Currently, I'm using Moore's Clinical Anatomy, and I also have BRS, Netters atlas, and Thieme atlas.
There have been similar threads before, but everything is "concise" or a "good summary" and I'm looking for the opposite. I'm trying to get down in the nitty gritty and what I currently use isn't cutting it. There's also a lot of contradicting information. Is there a more detailed book available? Not sure if there's maybe surgical books and references that can help.
I'm looking for less identification, but more of individual nerves, where they're coming from, and where they go/what they supply.

price is irrelevant.

for more info: I'm specifically looking at the facial nerve and its branches, so something that has this detailed out would be great

Members don't see this ad.

Kenhub.

It's a free resource overall, but the image quizzes require a subscription. The articles and videos are good, but the image quizzes are the only part of kenhub I use. It just asked me to ID the chorda tympani, greater petrosal nerve, and otic ganglion on the basic identification version of the facial nerve quiz, so I think it probably gets specific enough for you.

They are highly repetitive but in a good way. For the basic ID quizzes, first, it gives you a term and makes you pick between two images. After a few of these, it gives you the term and makes you pick between four. Then, it gives you the pic and makes you pick between four terms, and once you've gone through those for a set, it gives you new terms/pictures.

The images are all illustrations, no cadaver pictures, and some of them (spinal cord slices, I'm looking at you) kind of have weird art, but if you're visually minded, it's invaluable IMO. I got a lifetime membership back in M1 and I've used it every year at least a little since then.

Reactions: 1 user
Kenhub.

It's a free resource overall, but the image quizzes require a subscription. The articles and videos are good, but the image quizzes are the only part of kenhub I use. It just asked me to ID the chorda tympani, greater petrosal nerve, and otic ganglion on the basic identification version of the facial nerve quiz, so I think it probably gets specific enough for you.

They are highly repetitive but in a good way. For the basic ID quizzes, first, it gives you a term and makes you pick between two images. After a few of these, it gives you the term and makes you pick between four. Then, it gives you the pic and makes you pick between four terms, and once you've gone through those for a set, it gives you new terms/pictures.

The images are all illustrations, no cadaver pictures, and some of them (spinal cord slices, I'm looking at you) kind of have weird art, but if you're visually minded, it's invaluable IMO. I got a lifetime membership back in M1 and I've used it every year at least a little since then.
I feel decent on identification. I'm more interested in clinical/technical details, like from a textbook aspect.
specifically, I'm looking at cranial nerves and their pathways + functions

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases sounds like what you're looking for. Lots of detail, great images, and cases at the end of each chapter. You can find a .pdf of the 2nd edition floating around on the internet

Reactions: 1 user
Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases sounds like what you're looking for. Lots of detail, great images, and cases at the end of each chapter. You can find a .pdf of the 2nd edition floating around on the internet
I actually have a copy of it but I haven't looked at the cranial nerve stuff. I'll check that out!!