Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newtonian21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am still on this path. I am planning classes for fall semester. Don't get me wrong I know Biochem is the ultimate class anyone need to take. I will take it prior to my mcat in Jan 2018. However, this school I am doing my post-bac at has an Anatomy (Cadaver) class that everyone is dreadful according to those who've taken it because you actually get to deal with cadavers as in med school. My question is, should I take this class because I took A&P before in my prenursing days thats way back in 2011 where we use pig hearts and kidneys and stuff. We never get to use any cadavers like this one. For any med student out there, or anyone who've taken a class like this. Is this a good class to take esp for MCAT and med school looking ahead? Thanks! Goodluck to y'all studying.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I am still on this path. I am planning classes for fall semester. Don't get me wrong I know Biochem is the ultimate class anyone need to take. I will take it prior to my mcat in Jan 2018. However, this school I am doing my post-bac at has an Anatomy (Cadaver) class that everyone is dreadful according to those who've taken it because you actually get to deal with cadavers as in med school. My question is, should I take this class because I took A&P before in my prenursing days thats way back in 2011 where we use pig hearts and kidneys and stuff. We never get to use any cadavers like this one. For any med student out there, or anyone who've taken a class like this. Is this a good class to take esp for MCAT and med school looking ahead? Thanks! Goodluck to y'all studying.
Dude, come on now, we are not in high-school right, what difference it makes cadaver or not? It's not going to eat you or come alive. Focus on what you will learn from this course. IMHO it has nothing to offer for MCAT, but for med.school it will put you a bit ahead of some of your fellow classmates who will encounter dissection techniques for the first time and it may refresh your anatomy a bit (but that will greatly depend how in-depth is that specific course). Don't take it for MCAT, but if you need extra credits - then take it for yourself.

P.S. LOL, I never took Biochem and yet got accepted and passed MCAT successfully, so I don't know what ultimate class are you talking about? :)

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing I can think of that would be worse than taking gross anatomy once would be taking it twice. Seriously. You'll get more than enough of that stuff in med school, and because it's a memorization-intensive course, you'll have to relearn it all again in med school anyway. I'd suggest taking more conceptual types of courses, like physio or path. You will have better retention of the material, and those two subjects in particular are also higher yield for what you need to know for Step 1 and as a practicing physician. A good immunology or embryo course wouldn't be amiss either. Other good choices would be biochem as you mentioned, genetics, and maybe micro or pharm if you can find a class that focuses more on principles.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing I can think of that would be worse than taking gross anatomy once would be taking it twice. Seriously. You'll get more than enough of that stuff in med school, and because it's a memorization-intensive course, you'll have to relearn it all again in med school anyway. I'd suggest taking more conceptual types of courses, like physio or path. You will have better retention of the material, and those two subjects in particular are also higher yield for what you need to know for Step 1 and as a practicing physician. A good immunology or embryo course wouldn't be amiss either. Other good choices would be biochem as you mentioned, genetics, and maybe micro or pharm if you can find a class that focuses more on principles.
Yea I was just thinking I shouldn't take anatomy again cadaver or not. Thanks alot. They do have developmental biology though. Would this be a good class to take. I have a friend developmental biology does cover embryology and might be good for med school..

Dude, come on now, we are not in high-school right, what difference it makes cadaver or not? It's not going to eat you or come alive. Focus on what you will learn from this course. IMHO it has nothing to offer for MCAT, but for med.school it will put you a bit ahead of some of your fellow classmates who will encounter dissection techniques for the first time and it may refresh your anatomy a bit (but that will greatly depend how in-depth is that specific course). Don't take it for MCAT, but if you need extra credits - then take it for yourself.

P.S. LOL, I never took Biochem and yet got accepted and passed MCAT successfully, so I don't know what ultimate class are you talking about? :)
I said ultimate because almost all practice test I've done on AAMC is mostly on biochemistry.