Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Anencephaly baby in Nepal(warning distrubing image)

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by SRK85, 04.18.06.

1. SRK85

SRK85 MedTech Student

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone see this article this baby has Anencephaly which makes babies deformed. Pretty crazy warning if you are squeemish to birth defects do not look.

http://www.kantipuronline.com/kolnews.php?&nid=69722
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly
  2. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wow....that's pretty interesting stuff. Kind of makes me want to go into perinatology now.
  3. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Previously ayznshorti Bronze Donor

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    That's just.. whoa.
  4. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is that a reliable news source? The baby looks fake! And it's kind of crazy that the parents allowed their deceased child to be toted around in the streets for people to gawk at.
  5. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Removed

Medical Student
  6. SRK85

SRK85 MedTech Student

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Im not sure if thats most relaible news source but its a real medical problem, theres sites about it look under the wikipedia for links.
  7. Trookie

Trookie Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes, I know it's a real condition. :)
  8. docB

docB Chronically painful Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN Published Author SDN 10+ Year Member
    What topic in healthcare does this bring up? Was this posted just to be a side show attraction? Anencephaly is a well known, well documented birth defect.
  9. SRK85

SRK85 MedTech Student

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know I thought health care was the best area to put it. This is the 1st time I was brought to the attention of Anencephaly, and I thought it was interesting.
  10. jonathon

jonathon Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Since I have an interest in birth defects, training to be a scientist who does research with birth defects, I spent some time analyzing the picture in great detail. Since the best I can do is look at this picture online right now, I will say that the chances are that the baby is real.

I'm assuming that the mother did not have an ultrasound done. If she would have, the birth defect would have been identified.

The baby living for a few minutes after birth occurs in ~ 30% of the time for anencephaly patients.

This lady lacked folic acid in her diet.

If you think that image is bad, check this one out.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=anencephaly&start=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

check this image out as well:

http://isc.temple.edu/neuroanatomy/lab/embryo_new/nt/4/spbf.html
  11. shorrin

shorrin the ninth doctor

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yes, anencephaly is a documented condition. In fact there was a famous case called 'baby k' in the early 90's which tested the emtala (emergency medicine treatment and active labor act). Emtala requires by law physicians to treat anyone who comes through the ER requesting treatment.

The hospital in the case requested to not treat the childs recurring life-threatening bouts of apnea that the mother demanded.

It's a really interesting case and a good one for those interested in ER medicine.

http://www.ascensionhealth.org/ethics/public/cases/cases_AF.asp#BabyK
  12. Shredder

Shredder User

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Not a big deal, all of these babies should just be aborted anyway
  13. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy Moderator Emeritus

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Shredder ... please. Tolerance? The way you responded is a little out of line, while I respect your opinion, you KNOW that a flame war would ensue. Knowing that, you could have responded a little more tactfully.
  14. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 10+ Year Member
    I don't know that he was being intolerant so much as ignorant about the acessibility of prenatal care and abortion resources. Some people feel that abortion is preferable to a major birth defect. It sounds to me like he is just voicing that sentiment. This is a good case from which to advocate better access to prenatal care. To some, abortion is included in that care package.
  15. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy Moderator Emeritus

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Those are good points but I suppose with certain posters and their posting history you just "hear" the same things out of their mouths ... ignorance mostly.

I suppose your description of the situtation is more accurate.
  16. Shredder

Shredder User

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes you're right, it was brusque. I was sincere though. I think it's a shame for mutilated/deformed/diseased babies to be born instead of nipping the problem in the bud early on. Yeah, what banana said.
  17. 71263

71263 Guest

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Somebody didnt have enough folate in their diet when they were pregnant! (Sorry, I just had to nerd it up with the genetics I learned.)
  18. 71263

71263 Guest

SDN 7+ Year Member
    On a completely unrelated note...

OMG NARUSEGAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :love:

LOVE THE ICON BRO!
  19. 71263

71263 Guest

SDN 7+ Year Member
    AND you have the same birthday as me!
  20. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Removed

21. mdpdgirl

mdpdgirl Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician PhD SDN 7+ Year Member
    Apparently our government has the opposite view. Here's a case where the military refused to pay for an abortion for a woman with an anencephalic fetus. And then they changed their mind and payed for the abortion and now they are suing her to pay them back.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/217156_janedoe23.html
  22. docjolly

docjolly On Cloud Nine, Once Again

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    we've been learning about this for almost all of our freshman year of medical school. anencephaly, and other neural tube defects, are always interesting to see. Our embryology book has images that might be deemed much, much more disturbing..

btw, does anyone know why they're carrying that fetus around the streets like that? Perhaps it's a cultural issue, but as a mother, I would be completely opposed to allow people to parade my dead baby throughout the streets..
  23. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Previously ayznshorti Bronze Donor

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I thought the same thing myself! I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing though.
  24. kweiche

kweiche

Non-Student
    I am not a student doctor or anything of the sort but I really would like to comment on this topic.
    I just found out a week ago that my baby was a boy, and then 20 minutes later found out that it has Anencephaly.
    I've researched it a million times over on the internet and just bought a book related to the topic.
    The mother of a child like this should have the choice to do whatever it is she wants to do with it.
    I am only 18 and I've had so many people tell me how my child didn't deserve life, and now this happens.
    I was ready to put everything behind me and love this child and give it everything I have.
    If you know anything you know this baby can not feel pain.
    So why should I stop this birth, why can't I give this child the chance to live before it's tragic death?
    I want to show my child every single drop of love that I have for it in those few spare moments of it's life. Whether they say it wouldn't be able to tell that anyways, it's still important to me. He's my first child, my son, and he was my hope.
    I don't appreciate the people who love to respond to what I have to say with "God can heal your baby." Because that is absolutely ridiculous. I know there is no chance for him to live, but I want him to live before dying, I want to give him the proper burial he deserves because he did deserve life.
    He is still a human being to me, and still my baby.

Coming from a young, but concerned mother.
  25. brianmartin

brianmartin

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yea what's up with the "baby in a pot" parade? Are they going to cook and eat it or something? lol :eek:

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal