Anesthesia after IM vs GI/cardiology/heme onc fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current PGY2 IM resident. My goal is to make as much money as possible and retire, I am willing to work harder than a resident to do so for 10 years post training, and I am willing to move to much less desired parts of the USA.

Is Anesthesia a better avenue to do this or is GI?

I look at some of the locums offers for anesthesia and it seems like working for $350/hr could easily get you over 1M/year, $350/hr * 12hr/day * 6 days/week * 50 weeks a year = 1.2M. I don't see any offers close to this for GI. It seems like working 100hrs/week is difficult in heme onc because you are limited by your office staff, whereas the hours are always available for anesthesia. I am not sure about being able to work 100hrs/week in GI or cardiology.

Should I try to jump ship and switch to anesthesia after PGY2 IM?

Or should I just stay on course and apply to GI/cardiology/heme onc?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Current PGY2 IM resident. My goal is to make as much money as possible and retire, I am willing to work harder than a resident to do so for 10 years post training, and I am willing to move to much less desired parts of the USA.

I look at some of the locums offers for anesthesia and it seems like working for $350/hr could easily get you over 1M/year, $350/hr * 12hr/day * 6 days/week * 50 weeks a year = 1.2M. I don't see any offers close to this for GI. It seems like working 100hrs/week is difficult in heme onc because you are limited by your office staff, whereas the hours are always available for anesthesia. I am not sure about being able to work 100hrs/week in GI or cardiology.

popcorn.gif

Reactions: 5 users

You should change your username into sallyhasabadidea.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Hearing someone who is only 1.5 years into a (proposed) 6 year training path that confidently says they’re planning on working 100hrs per week for 10 years straight in a specialty they don’t have any experience in screams lack of self awareness. I’d start looking for hospitalist jobs.

I say that only sort-of tongue in cheek. There’s a massive opportunity cost built into more training. If money/early retirement is your goal, your best bet is probably to find a 26 on 26 off hospitalist job in Arkansas or the Dakotas and do locums in your off week.

Reactions: 12 users
Agreed your best bet is probably get a hospitalist job and work like crazy. Probably come out ahead rather than doing another 4 years of anesthesia training. Not to mention you might not even like anesthesiology..

Reactions: 3 users
Current PGY2 IM resident.

Are you? You were also a 4th year medical student a month ago and nearly a year ago...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-183115.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202-183115.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20221202-183153.png
    Screenshot_20221202-183153.png
    255.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Hearing someone who is only 1.5 years into a (proposed) 6 year training path that confidently says they’re planning on working 100hrs per week for 10 years straight in a specialty they don’t have any experience in screams lack of self awareness. I’d start looking for hospitalist jobs.

I say that only sort-of tongue in cheek. There’s a massive opportunity cost built into more training. If money/early retirement is your goal, your best bet is probably to find a 26 on 26 off hospitalist job in Arkansas or the Dakotas and do locums in your off week.
This is literally the best advice here.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude... you are not going to be able to work such hours in anesthesia. You'll burn out for sure real fast. Keep in mind most anesthesia gigs will require you to take call/overnight.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s another member finished IM then did anesthesia.

Do it only because you want it, just like everything else. I would tack on your opportunity cost for extra 3 years of training. Even with a mediocre Hospitalist job, you forgot about 1 mil, right off the bat.

Like everyone else said, 12 hr 5 day week is brutal…. Especially at a busy place. There isn’t much “fluff” in anesthesia, especially at places who are welling to pay you $350/hr. You’re either doing your own cases, even more likely supervising multiple rooms for them to pay you at that price.

If you’re a md/phd student, why not just stay in academia or go into one of those more lucrative IM fields? You get to yell at anesthesia and making more money than 350/hr.

All that being said, if you’re just some jerkoff wants to stir the pot, get the f away.

Reactions: 1 users
You should change your username into sallyhasabadidea.
I guess you’ve never read their other threads… it should be SallyHasBadIdeas.

I’m just waiting for “hey guys which of these fields would be the least likely to get caught committing rampant medicare fraud over a short 5-10 year period?”

Reactions: 4 users
Just do what you said you’d like to do in your MD,PhD and PSTP personal statements. Stick to the plan ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I did IM, worked for a year as a hospitalist, knew I wouldn't be happy doing it for 20 years. Only subspecialty in IM I wanted to do was cardiology and didn't match and I knew it would take at least 2-3 years research to maybe match. Now doing cardiothoracic anesthesia after 3 years anesthesia residency and a year of fellowship. Now I don't mind working a lot because I truly enjoy my job.

I'd echo the statements above. Comes down to the time value of money, OP should start working as soon as possible as a hospitalist if retiring early is main goal and maximize working during weeks off.

Reactions: 6 users

This is the dumbest stuff I heard in a while. If your desire is to make money I would suggest Venture Capitalism. You need to love anesthesia or at least like it to do it... this is not a joke just to switch over... its not "medicine" medicine it is a very technical and very high risk profession which you will learn to hate (even if you love it). You clearly went into medicine for the wrong reason. That being said based on your statements you should def. do GI.... those dingus will do anything to look at more dinguses.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
If you only worked for 10 years, you’d probably have a pretty bad qol both before and after retirement unless making like 1 million+

Even then with taxes and what not, it would probably still be pretty bad