Anesthesia Residencies in Semi-Rural Areas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorbate3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really interested in an anesthesia residency; however, my Step 1 score is only a 204 with a pass on the first try. I took Step 1 late due to some family issues and due to the fact that I was told it was better to take Step 1 and pass on the first try with a lower score than to sit out a whole year.

I'm interested in anesthesia with possibly doing a fellowship in pain management. I was wondering if anyone knew a great website that had lower tier programs in more rural areas that I'd have a better chance to get into so I can start reading up on them. Obviously I know that residencies are going to be in teaching hospitals, which means a bigger city...but I'm from a small town and am hoping to find something that serves a more rural population since that's where I'd like to practice eventually. So far, I can only find posts and websites listing the most prestigious/top tier programs, which I'm not all the concerned with.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

gator -

Hi. I'm Daniel, an anesthesiology resident in Pittsburgh. I realize we might not have the small-town feel you're looking for, but I think you have a bunch of options.

First, a 204 is a pass, so you have cleared that hurdle. Second, if you have not taken Step 2CK yet, you have a huge opportunity to improve your chances at any program with a good score on that test. As much as a random internet post can help you, I'd strongly consider taking some devoted time off during early 4th year to study solely for Step 2 (maybe two weeks, intensive study), and rock that test.

Regarding programs, you may be able to find what you're looking for by simply looking at all the accredited programs (Google "ACGME Accredited Programs", and work your way to the anesthesiology list), and seeing what is where. Many programs, as you said, will be in a big city, but you may be able to find the "small-town flavor" within a very short drive. For example, in upstate NY, the University of Rochester has an excellent program, and you can live less than 20 minutes away an be in a VERY rural area. Same said about SUNY Upstate in Syracuse, and probably University of Albany. Do a little digging, and I think you'll find something that may fit for you.

Good luck with your progress; anesthesiology, to me, is still an excellent career choice. Don't forget that if you want pain management at the end, there are other ways into the fellowships (PM&R and Psychiatry) that do not involve anesthesiology training, and may have somewhat less competitive matches, statistically speaking.