anesthesia salary rockies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedrock

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please comment on a fair (not amazing, not terrible) salary would be for an MD anesthesiologist in rural Rocky mountains (2.2hrs from Denver) would be?

If anyone has recent MGMA numbers, that would also be very helpful.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Can you please comment on a fair (not amazing, not terrible) salary would be for an MD anesthesiologist in rural Rocky mountains (2.2hrs from Denver) would be?

Thank you
2.2 hrs in which direction? That matters...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The mgma numbers like i mention do not even matter in a rapidly changing market.

Regardless where you work. 400k is the bare minimum 40 hour job EXCLUDING NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS hospital based job plus 8 weeks paid vacation as w2. That’s bare min no calls/weekends/paid vacation.

You start from there and go up. Regular call rotation adds a 25% premium on that of that. And that’s assuming your total hours worked at between 40 hours a week. Anything above those 40 hours (including calls) means another 10% per 5 hours weekly worked

For example 400k bare min/8 weeks

20% premium for regular calls (assuming 40-45 hours) brings it to 500k )/8 weeks

They want u to work 45 hours that’s 550k
50 hours 600k

Start with those numbers and it’s everywhere

Remember locums are making 600k-650k working 45 hours a week no calls. With 8 weeks off

So 600k makes you look cheap if you taking regular calls/weekends.

Reactions: 7 users
The mgma numbers like i mention do not even matter in a rapidly changing market.

Regardless where you work. 400k is the bare minimum 40 hour job EXCLUDING NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS hospital based job plus 8 weeks paid vacation as w2. That’s bare min no calls/weekends/paid vacation.

You start from there and go up. Regular call rotation adds a 25% premium on that of that. And that’s assuming your total hours worked at between 40 hours a week. Anything above those 40 hours (including calls) means another 10% per 5 hours weekly worked

20% premium for regular calls (assuming 40-45 hours) brings it to 500k )/8 weeks

50 hours 600k

Remember locums are making 600k-650k working 45 hours a week no calls. With 8 weeks off

But locums are without all benefits other than lodge, transportation and malpractice? Should W2 job be the same 600-650k with benefits?

But locums are without all benefits other than lodge, transportation and malpractice? Should W2 job be the same 600-650k with benefits?
Locums is 1099. Works best if u are (1) single guy/gal. Or if u have family with spouse with healthcare access

Healthcare for singles is still relatively cheap around $500/month

Healthcare for family is roughly $1500 or more a month in subsidized

So if u have family with a non working spouse. Healthcare with cost u roughy 20k a year

Factor that in equation

Locums PAYS HOUSING STIPEND. We have 1099 docs with local homes that they commute and they just pocket the $4k extra each month UNTAXED in housing stipends. So locums company/hospital basically pays their mortgage for them with housing stipend.

That 1099 tax benefits favor a singles person around 220k salary (w2). That’s when the 35% tax bracket kicks in. U pay urself a 150k w2 “salary” as 1099 to keep ur tax bracket lower. I’m the master of taxes. Expenses everything through the llc/s corp.

You get killed as singles person w2 affer 220k salary

You get killed as w2 family man after 460k (35% tax bracket kicks in)

Places cover ur malpractice. I would be worried about that.

Reactions: 5 users

50 hours 600k

5 hours more a week gets you 150k more a year ?

Is 500k minimum including benefits or just salary?
I just met up with an old buddy in Europe on vacay.. We were rookie attendings back in the day. He’s got a 45 hour job same crazy 40 plus Or plus 6 cardiac OR with 18 hearts a day/transplants trauma 1 place we started at.

He gets 500k/42 hours a week. No calls. No weekends. Plus generous hospital benefits and matching. Top 1-10 major metro area like in the heart of the city.

This is the standard w2 pay these days. I’m telling u guys.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That is a hard question to answer @bedrock .

So many variables to consider.

If the job is easy (meaning most patients are bmi 35 or less, and cases are easy - and you have good equipment and set up - you would find someone to do it for much less.

I think $225/hr in that area is a great starting point. San Diego market is historically much lower than the average, and that is about what Kaiser pays their per diem anesthesiologists ($250/hr). Cool mountain towns in the Rockies also can get away with paying much less - you will find someone who really wants to be there. No one WANTS to be in Iowa (for example..), so they have to pay a lot - so people will quote $350/hr.

If the job is easy (meaning most patients are bmi 35 or less, and cases are easy - and you have good equipment and set up - you would find someone to do it for much less.

I think $225/hr in that area is a great starting point. San Diego market is historically much lower than the average, and that is about what Kaiser pays their per diem anesthesiologists ($250/hr). Cool mountain towns in the Rockies also can get away with paying much less - you will find someone who really wants to be there. No one WANTS to be in Iowa (for example..), so they have to pay a lot - so people will quote $350/hr.
Slim,

Coastal Florida and Coastal Georgia are routinely paying locums $350 per hour if not more. These days the easiest gigs, I mean super easy, are paying $300 per hour. "Hard gigs" are $400 per hour and up. That's for just the General Guys/Gals. Cardiac is $450-$500 per hour. The world is your oyster but some of you need to learn how to swim because you are getting soaked by your current employers.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

That being said, all the coastal SoCal practices are having a hard time staffing now. So they’re not paying enough either.

Reactions: 2 users
Slim,

Coastal Florida and Coastal Georgia are routinely paying locums $350 per hour if not more. These days the easiest gigs, I mean super easy, are paying $300 per hour. "Hard gigs" are $400 per hour and up. That's for just the General Guys/Gals. Cardiac is $450-$500 per hour. The world is your oyster but some of you need to learn how to swim because you are getting soaked by your current employers.
He isn’t asking about Georgia or Florida. He is asking about the Rockies.

Have you met people that love the mountains? Actually, have you hiked in the Tetons? People will practically work for free to live in those parts.

It isn’t the same equation Blade.

To get a job in Jackson, WY would be nearly impossible. No one leaves those jobs, no matter the pay.

He isn’t asking about Georgia or Florida. He is asking about the Rockies.

Have you met people that love the mountains? Actually, have you hiked in the Tetons? People will practically work for free to live in those parts.

It isn’t the same equation Blade.

To get a job in Jackson, WY would be nearly impossible. No one leaves those jobs, no matter the pay.
The amount of people who want to work in the Rockies/mountains is far less
Than the people who want to work in coastal areas with no state income taxes. To each their own.

Yes. We just had a new guy start last year from Colorado Rockies. His wife wanted to be on the water after living out there for 10 years.

Fortunately for all of us, everybody has different tastes and desires. Not everybody wants to live and work in the same place. Right now everybody can get exactly what they want or something pretty darn close.

Reactions: 4 users

Thank you
....MD anesthesiologist.... how about just anesthesiologist

Reactions: 11 users
The amount of people who want to work in the Rockies/mountains is far less
Than the people who want to work in coastal areas with no state income taxes. To each their own.

Yes. We just had a new guy start last year from Colorado Rockies. His wife wanted to be on the water after living out there for 10 years.

Speak for yourself. Idaho and Colorado are two of the fastest growing states in the country, other than Texas.

Warm coastal areas with no state income tax are just two US states, Texas and Florida.

Most coastal states have high income taxes and over regulation, after being run into the ground by democrats.

Speak for yourself. Idaho and Colorado are two of the fastest growing states in the country, other than Texas.

Warm coastal areas with no state income tax are just two US states, Texas and Florida.

Most coastal states have high income taxes and over regulation, after being run into the ground by democrats.
Well we can all play the percentages growth game vs the raw numbers growth game. But USA OFFICIAL GOVT DATA says Florida is the “fastest growing state”. I’m assuming official govt data uses raw population numbers.

And it’s only 1.9% growth. Because those smaller state percentages wise can growth more. All about how you interpret the numbers game

To each their own. If you want to enjoy the mountain weather. Year round. Enjoy it.

Everyone has their own tastes. I can live anywhere and I have lived in many parts of the country. If it were up to me. I’d be in Southern California cause the weather there is better year round. As long as I were living with tax exempt muni bonds as my main source of income. I’d consider California again.

Floridia wont be run into the ground by Republicans though because soon there wont be any ground there remaining.

Floridia wont be run into the ground by Republicans though because soon there wont be any ground there remaining.

Can you define “soon” I feel like I’ve been hearing about it for 20 years at this point…

Insurance companies are pulling out presently.
Ok I may have misinterpreted your post of a clip from ...Waterworld... as implying that rising sea levels were going to put the state of Florida underwater. If you were not then I apologize. If you were, though, I'd like to know what your timeline of "soon" is for that, like are we talking 10 years, 50 years or 150 years?

I absolutely agree hurricanes make Florida a difficult place to insure homes just as wildfires do in California but I'm not sure what that has to do with the movie Waterworld which I have not seen in decades but I do not recall having anything to do with hurricanes.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I may have misinterpreted your post of a clip from ...Waterworld... as implying that rising sea levels were going to put the state of Florida underwater. If you were not then I apologize. If you were, though, I'd like to know what your timeline of "soon" is for that, like are we talking 10 years, 50 years or 150 years?

I absolutely agree hurricanes make Florida a difficult place to insure homes just as wildfires do in California but I'm not sure what that has to do with the movie Waterworld which I have not seen in decades but I do not recall having anything to do with hurricanes.

climate change (you mor0n). lol

I thought he was implying the same, essentially that rising ocean levels were causing the insurance companies to leave.

The issue with insurance companies in Florida pulling out is because fraud is rampant.

Many people in my neighborhood get 50-70k (cash rate) new tile roofs (of course the insurance companies get charged 100k just like how commercial medical insurance companies pay doctors more than the cash rate they would charge)

Many of these roofs can be repaired for $3000-4000 but these contractor/ (and lawyers) eco system convince the homeowner that it only cost them $500-1000 deductible to get a brand new 100k roof. Happens all the time.

My current home is 20 years old and the tile roof was replaced 6.5 years ago by previous homeowner. It’s a 75k roof on the permit issued in 2016. (Probably 100k roof in 2023 money). No way a 13-14 year old home should be getting a completely new tile roof that should last a min 25 years. And it’s not because of hurricanes either. There is usually a 2% hurricane deductibles in most insurance clauses. Home 750k-1mil equals 15k deductibles for new roofs due to hurricanes. No
Homeowner would pay 15k-2 deductible for new roof. But they surely will push for new roof if it’s due to normal wind mitigation $500-1000 deductible

The newer scams are “water damage” people getting brand new kitchens /flooring etc. contractors will
Jack up the insurance payouts. What is normally a 20k repair/replacement job. Contractors will say it’s 50k to insurance and give u new kitchen. You may just pay them 10k extra to do other stuff totally non related to the actual damage caused by water damage. All
Scams.

Now any roof old than 20 years old insurers are jacking up rates. Any water heater more than 15 years old insurance won’t insure. We had to get new water heater cause ours was more than 15 years old. A perfectly working water heater needed to be replaced. Luckily for me. I know so many contractors and middle men guys. I got new one installed for $300 cash. Got 70% off a $2400 high and me hybrid 80 gallon slightly dented water heater floor model my sales guys know.

Maybe insurance should all go away.

I wonder how the market would look without insurance. Would home prices be way less? Or would we all be renting and income inequality be much greater because only the very rich could take on the risk of ownership? I bet no one knows the answer to that. But I also bet people would argue either point as if they think they know the answer.

Maybe insurance should all go away.

I wonder how the market would look without insurance. Would home prices be way less? Or would we all be renting and income inequality be much greater because only the very rich could take on the risk of ownership? I bet no one knows the answer to that. But I also bet people would argue either point as if they think they know the answer.
I imagine in a world without insurance the government would act as the insurance company and take money via taxes (see, national FEMA flood insurance for example).

I imagine in a world without insurance the government would act as the insurance company and take money via taxes (see, national FEMA flood insurance for example).
Exactly it won’t be cheap anyway you look at it. In Florida the state government homeowners insurance equivalent of “Medicare for
Homeowners” who can’t insure their homes is citizens

This is just a snapshot what happens in Florida with non profit homeowners insurance program

Some companies stopped writing policies in high-claim South Florida, refused to renew where roof age exceeded 10 years or the home was built prior to Hurricane Andrew, before Hurricane-proof buildingcodes were adopted. Since April 2021, four insurers were closed as insolvent. One of those, Avatar Property & Casualty, had 37,000 former customers looking for an insurer. Unfortunately for 2,000 of them, they had pending claims against Avatar, and most companies have underwriting guidelines that prohibit writing a new policy for a property with an open claim.[28] Lexington Insurance Company announced that they will discontinue home insurance, sending another 8,000 property owners to search for a new insurer. Lexington specialized in homes worth $1+ million and Citizens will only insure property values less than $700,000, so Citizens was not an option.[28]

Citizen's Policies numbered 807,910 on March 25, 2022.[28] When the regular Florida legislative session ended in March 2022, the Florida Senate had passed a bill to limit “free roof” claims and similar lawsuits, but the Florida House did not. Demotech is the company that issues financial stability ratings for 50 Florida-based insurers. On March 23, 2022 the top five executives from Demotech sent a letter to Florida's Governor plus the Senator and House leadership entreating them to pass reforms before the start of Atlantic hurricane season June 1. Failure to do so would cause Demotech to downgrade the financial stability ratings for "a number" of Florida insurers”

I keep reading this thread title as "anesthesia salary rockets" as in "skyrockets." Then I become sad when it does not.

• Haha
I keep reading this thread title as "anesthesia salary rockets" as in "skyrockets." Then I become sad when it does not.
Lol. It has certainly ventured quite a distance from my original post question.

I appreciate the first answer though it was nonspecific. I’d really love a few a more answers to my original question.

Again, my original question-

Rocky Mountain town of 40K in mountains, but not vail or aspen, at altitude so you have to deal with a real winter, but also have great outdoor recreation.
2.2 hrs to Denver
Mostly orthopedic cases, so quite a few blocks
Full time mon-Friday, 40hrs per week, no call. 8 weeks vacation.
solo cases, no CRNAs

What is a fair anesthesiology salary for this situation?

Last edited:

I appreciate the first answer though it was nonspecific. I’d really love a few a more answers to my original question.

Rocky Mountain town of 40K in mountains, but not vail or aspen, at altitude so you have to deal with a real winter, but also have great outdoor recreation.
2.2 hrs to Denver
Mostly orthopedic cases.
Full time mon-Friday, 40hrs per week, no call.

I'd say 450-500k. Depends on vacation time too I suppose. USAP advertising on gaswork in Pueblo: 500k, 12wks vacation, ad doesn't say anything about call though.

Reactions: 1 users

2.2 hrs to Denver
Mostly orthopedic cases.
Full time mon-Friday, 40hrs per week, no call.

$10k/week worked with no call. If you get compensated for blocks in a ortho heavy practice, that may add another 10-20%. Our ortho days are some of our lowest stress but most productive days.

Last edited:
I'd say 450-500k. Depends on vacation time too I suppose. USAP advertising on gaswork in Pueblo: 500k, 12wks vacation, ad doesn't say anything about call though.
Thank you. Very helpful.

I’m sorry I left vacation out of my last post.

8 weeks.

Also updated my last post.

Last edited:
People are moving to Florida in droves but keep listening to Gavin Newsome bud

Huh??

@TexBlazer2106 asked for a source. I posted a link to a recent article from a newspaper in Florida.

If you read the link, you’ll see that insurers are dropping out of other states too. Going forward, the home insurance crisis will hit many parts of the USA due to climate change and continued building in vulnerable areas.

Florida isn’t the only state affected. Some insurance policy providers have also hiked prices or dropped out of states like California, Colorado and Louisiana due to rising risk of insuring homes in flooding or wildfire-prone areas.”

Last edited:
Best part about the job
MD only is desirable only if ONE OR TWO things

1. No calls/set hours no weekends or very sparse extra compensation weekends.

2. Production base (more work hours, more money)

Outside of those two situations. It’s NOT DESIRABLE.

If you are salary with extra little $200/hr-250/hr extra pay for w2 Md only with unpredictable hours. It’s not worth it.

Not worth it if w2 MD no extra incentive pay for night calls solo either.

MD only is desirable only if ONE OR TWO things

1. No calls/set hours no weekends or very sparse extra compensation weekends.

2. Production base (more work hours, more money)

Outside of those two situations. It’s NOT DESIRABLE.

If you are salary with extra little $200/hr-250/hr extra pay for w2 Md only with unpredictable hours. It’s not worth it.

Not worth it if w2 MD no extra incentive pay for night calls solo either.
Can you elaborate on why an hourly rate after hours would be undesirable? It seems if you’re doing production or that it would more or less be the same setup.