Anesthesiologist Assistant Bill in Penn. hearing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptionOffense

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
A buddy of mine who practices in Pittsburgh sent me this. It is a hearing for the AA profession that they are introducing professional licensure for. I think they need to polish their
presentation and the politicians are soooo confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't think they did too bad. It's really hard to articulate how the anesthesia world works to people who have probably never set foot inside an operating room, let alone have any basic understanding of medical professions. Politician questions in these sorts of hearings are always so bad... and these are the people responsible for regulating everyone's careers.

Reactions: 1 users
It's easy to forget that most legislators know very little about medicine and medical personnel, the differences between professions, and why things are the way they are and why these stupid political fights even exist. Is there any real reason not to allow CAA practice in every state? No. I mean I get it if you're against non-physicians doing anesthesia - but other than that, there's only one reason we're not in every state and that's CRNA opposition. And most of them have to be "educated/indoctrinated" by their own association about what a CAA is before they can even speak against us. It's pathetic.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The reasoning that the CRNAs use to keep AAs out is ridiculous. CRNAs are independent!! No they are not. THey may be independent from Anesthesiologist in Pennsylvania ONLY if a surgeon/dentist/podiatrist signs off on taking responsibility for any mishaps. How is that a benefit to having CRNAs as the only mid levels in Pennsylvania. I would think that would be a BAD thing having surgeons/podiatrists/dentists who have absolutely ZERO training in anesthesia responsible for the anesthetic. That is another thing the AAs did not point out, which is a very important point. It is scary and it should scare the committee.

The reasoning that the CRNAs use to keep AAs out is ridiculous. CRNAs are independent!! No they are not. THey may be independent from Anesthesiologist in Pennsylvania ONLY if a surgeon/dentist/podiatrist signs off on taking responsibility for any mishaps. How is that a benefit to having CRNAs as the only mid levels in Pennsylvania. I would think that would be a BAD thing having surgeons/podiatrists/dentists who have absolutely ZERO training in anesthesia responsible for the anesthetic. That is another thing the AAs did not point out, which is a very important point. It is scary and it should scare the committee.

I don't think a legislative hearing for AA licensure should become a discussion about CRNA practice. That's what they want, and that's what they try to do every single time: make it about them.

I don't think a legislative hearing for AA licensure should become a discussion about CRNA practice. That's what they want, and that's what they try to do every single time: make it about them.
Exactly. It’s the same ole crap non sequitur arguments that the crnas make. Has nothing to do with anything.

When things go bad, they’ll just get a slap on the wrist.

You have to look at it from the eyes of the licensure committee? If you have CRNAs, why have AAs? Seriously, you must be able to articulate easily digestible and valid, legitimate points for the comittee. They have no clue. THere is a pacu nurse on the committee and she is clueless.

There are typically multiple committee hearings on proposed legislation and multiple chances to testify. And, the groundwork (and unfortunately the opposition) for legislation is usually laid long before the legislative session ever starts. For most of these legislators, it will not be the first time they've heard the words "Anesthesiologist Assistant".