This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone basic TEE certified.....I am getting confused about the time line. When can/should you sit for the written part? some people say it is really difficult to obtain a basic certificated because you have to do 25 cases in the year in which you are officially being board certified which is only after passing the oral boards....is this true? help would be appreciated.
Take the test whenever. As for the number of echoes, you can count back up to for years prior to submitting your packet, but you must have at least 25 exams in each year you count. So, you cannot do one hundred the first year, ten each the next two, then thirty the year you submit your packet. If you're submitting after residency, so long as you do at least 25 in the year after completing residency, and are able to get the 150 total, you will probably meet this requirement just fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you even really need TEE certifications for CCM? Isn’t TTE enough?

How much do ITE scores matter? I want to go to a good program in the north east. I’m a year out from applying and go to a small university program. Worried I won’t gave the same resources to get a good fellowship in my desired location since CCM isn’t really big a thing my program

Members don't see this ad :)
How much do ITE scores matter? I want to go to a good program in the north east. I’m a year out from applying and go to a small university program. Worried I won’t gave the same resources to get a good fellowship in my desired location since CCM isn’t really big a thing my program
Look at the vacancies list on the SF site. There are plenty of open spots in the Northeast. If you have a pulse, aren't an dingus, and have an interest in CCM, you will get a spot somewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Look at the vacancies list on the SF site. There are plenty of open spots in the Northeast. If you have a pulse, aren't an dingus, and have an interest in CCM, you will get a spot somewhere.

Good to know. Just don’t want to have to feel the pressure of putting an Uber competitive app together

Can anyone comment on the critical care program at Columbia or Johns Hopkin. What is the call schedule like? Any fellows currently in the program able to comment on their experience? Is it EM friendly?

Anyone applying to UPMC in Pittsburgh? What do you think about the program?

I’ll see if I can get the guy I know that graduated Pitt CCM to chime in. Long time, no post.

I was a Pitt Anesthesiology resident. To avoid being long-winded, my impression (as a resident) was that Pitt CCM fellows were like senior-senior residents. Other programs have fellows that are junior-junior attendings (like Michigan *wink*).

All that said, if truth be told, I was asked “Why would anyone leave Pitt to do CCM?” on every fellowship interview I went on. So the reputation is robust.

I’ll see if I can get the guy I know that graduated Pitt CCM to chime in. Long time, no post.

I was a Pitt Anesthesiology resident. To avoid being long-winded, my impression (as a resident) was that Pitt CCM fellows were like senior-senior residents. Other programs have fellows that are junior-junior attendings (like Michigan *wink*).

All that said, if truth be told, I was asked “Why would anyone leave Pitt to do CCM?” on every fellowship interview I went on. So the reputation is robust.

Thanks for the input ... the program is very solid but yes It seems as though fellows work much like a resident .. in terms of hrs, calls, work, etc. .. much more demanding than most CCM programs

Got 47th percentile on ITE for CA-1. On ITE alone I’m Gucci to match a solid program?

Not that there needs to be another covid thread but is this making current resident more interested in pursuing CCM? Or less?

Reactions: 1 user
Palpable radial pulse: good program

Palpable femoral pulse: maybe set sights a bit lower

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got 47th percentile on ITE for CA-1. On ITE alone I’m Gucci to match a solid program?
The fact that you used this terminology means that you shouldn't match at ANY program.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Question for the group: How many interviews are you guys going on? Crit care attendings at my institution have said that 5-6 is reasonable but that doesn't leave much room for reach, middle, and safety tiers the way we did for residency interviews...

Question for the group: How many interviews are you guys going on? Crit care attendings at my institution have said that 5-6 is reasonable but that doesn't leave much room for reach, middle, and safety tiers the way we did for residency interviews...
I did 4. One was a destination location (interview/vacation), one was my home program. CCM has had a slew of open spots after the match the past few years. You can trip backwards into an opening at a good program these days.

Don’t underestimate how worn out you will be doing these interviews and working a normal schedule. I did two, then cancelled half a dozen.

IMO, someone recommending 5-6 interviews for CCM right now is out of touch with how the match has been for applicants the past few years.

I did 4. One was a destination location (interview/vacation), one was my home program. CCM has had a slew of open spots after the match the past few years. You can trip backwards into an opening at a good program these days.

Don’t underestimate how worn out you will be doing these interviews and working a normal schedule. I did two, then cancelled half a dozen.

IMO, someone recommending 5-6 interviews for CCM right now is out of touch with how the match has been for applicants the past few years.

Where would you find info/stats on programs that didn't fill? ACCM may not be an overall competitive specialty, but I would think that top tier places would still be tough to get into.

Any of the EM applicants get any invites? I didn't get much, either I'm not a good candidate or they aren't in any hurry or perhaps covid...

I'm a DO applying next year. CA-0 ITE was 27th percentile and CA-1 ITE was 47th percentile. 4 pubs (1 in ICU), hoping to get a 5th non-icu one. I looked at the CCM application. Honestly, kinda feel underqualified lol. I know everyone says not to worry

You are overqualified! Graduate residency and you can secure your spot without any issues.

Ya but am I going to be able to secure a spot at a good program? Going to be interesting to see how COVID might change the landscape of this fellowship

Ya but am I going to be able to secure a spot at a good program? Going to be interesting to see how COVID might change the landscape of this fellowship

My understanding is that CCM is not competitive, so you should be fine as other posters suggested. If you are so concerned, do well on your CA-2 ITE.

Looking at the SOCCA match exemptions, there are a number of places who have almost completely filled. Is this typical? Or is this a weird COVID thing (programs more incentivized to fill since a lot of interviews were tele-interviews?)

programs that fill w a number of dual applicants - is it ccm then ct? or ct then ccm? I guess im trying to figure out if spots are filled at a lot of places a cycle ahead of time with dual applicants.

Looking at the SOCCA match exemptions, there are a number of places who have almost completely filled. Is this typical? Or is this a weird COVID thing (programs more incentivized to fill since a lot of interviews were tele-interviews?)

programs that fill w a number of dual applicants - is it ccm then ct? or ct then ccm? I guess im trying to figure out if spots are filled at a lot of places a cycle ahead of time with dual applicants.

Dual fellows almost always do CCM first before doing cardiac from what I understand, so it affects CT applicants, but not CCM applicants.

Dual fellows almost always do CCM first before doing cardiac from what I understand, so it affects CT applicants, but not CCM applicants.
So does that mean that the exceptions listed online start this year, July 2020?

One will want to do CT last, so that one is not rusty in the OR as a new attending.

The latter is a big issue with pure CCM fellowships, unless one moonlights.

So does that mean that the exceptions listed online start this year, July 2020?

Last time I looked at it (a few months ago), I knew a person whose name was on the list, and he/she is doing CCM July 2020, and CT July 2021. I don't see his/her name anymore, so I assume this is an updated list for July 2021 CCM. I guess that makes sense since offers were sent out starting April 1st for 2021 positions.

Last edited:
Wow, 38 dual fellows for CCM 2021, and CT 2022. I assume this list will only get bigger. That's 38 fewer spots for CT-only applicants for next year. CT-only is getting more competitive every year. I wonder if all these applicants are truly passionate about CCM or if they are doing it for the sake of improving their chance of matching into a better CT program.

Reactions: 1 users
thx for replying...I have read the guidelines on echo-boards however it is still not entirely clear to me. I am not sure yet whether or not I will do a CT fellowship but I think it is a great skill to have either way. I also think that your TEE experienced in your residency program would be enhanced if you are aiming for a certain goal..... Advanced testamur is definitely a good thought. Am I allowed to take it during residency?

You can take it during residency, it'll be july ca-3 year.

Wow, 38 dual fellows for CCM 2021, and CT 2022. I assume this list will only get bigger. That's 38 fewer spots for CT-only applicants for next year. CT-only is getting more competitive every year. I wonder if all these applicants are truly passionate about CCM or if they are doing it for the sake of improving their chance of matching into a better CT program.

I kinda think they see through that. I interviewed at one dual program simply because of the name sake. I felt it was better for both parties that I didn't get a dual spot. I think they saw through my lack of passion for CCM.

I kinda think they see through that. I interviewed at one dual program simply because of the name sake. I felt it was better for both parties that I didn't get a dual spot. I think they saw through my lack of passion for CCM.

I don't know. Unless you hate CCM, I feel like you can fake your interest for a day... I agree that doing the dual fellowship for the sake of the name is a terrible idea for both parties, but if that makes a difference between not matching CT and matching at a great CT program, maybe it is worth it to some people. I don't see the merit, but to each his own.

Reactions: 1 users
It is definitely a way for folks with somewhat of a more marginal application to get into CT (via CCM), in theory. In practice what I saw in fellowship was that dual applicants were often exceptional and passionate for both specialties. Stomaching another year of training for something you don’t really want to do is a lot to ask, especially at a fellow salary (and many CCM years are TOUGH).

A larger factor is to consider the programs themselves. CT is very popular but CCM remains very difficult to fill - offering dual spots helps programs fill those positions with “good” anesthesiology grads rather than (honestly here) marginal EM grads. Not to say all EM is marginal at all but what I saw in residency was... less than ideal. Lots of factors there, though. At the very least an anesthesiology fellow is 1 year versus 2 for EM so the “pain” of a bad fellow is much more temporary with the former.

Reactions: 1 user