Anki Central

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, in reference to my question about what tagging is, it basically helps you organize the cards for later studying? Wouldn't this only be helpful if your coursework explicitly overlaps? I feel like I haven't taken any courses where it would have made sense to go back to material from an older class to help me; everything I need is presented in the current course. Also, for the MCAT, how helpful would it actually be to go back to cards made for classes? Don't you really just need the material from MCAT review sources?
I use my Anki deck as a reference in general.
I often change my decks around, or make Custom Study decks. Say you put all of the material for one class in a class-specific deck, but your final exam is only on specific material...you can easily pull it out.
It's INCREDIBLY useful to use cards from classes for MCAT study. MCAT review books contain the bare bones of the concepts, so if you make good cards for a class, you should make what you need for MCAT as well as additional information. It's nice to tag the MCAT-relevant class information as you're going along so that when you get to MCAT studying, you can review that info without wading through the 'additional details' you got in the class. Why make the same cards twice, once for class and once for MCAT review, when it's the same info? That's just a wasted effort.

Finally, you're never 'going back' to Anki cards. They should never stop, that's the whole point!

PS - tagging is also good for sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a way to edit image occlusion cards once they've already been made? For example, what if I wanted to change a card (which are now multiple cards) from "add notes with overlapping occlusions" to "add notes with non overlapping occlusions"? Or do I have to start from scratch?
You can't really edit them in this way, because the overlays are formed as completely new images...none of the individual image occlusion cards has any 'memory' of which other occlusions were also formed from the same card.

Reactions: 1 user
@mehc012

I noticed that you studied for the MCAT while working full time. I am doing the same thing, starting in a couple weeks and taking in August. I was wondering in this situation, where I will only have 3-4 hours per day to study, do you still recommend the settings you put down as your "current deck" settings in your initial anki central post? I feel like 50 new cards + 100 review cards at 1 120min steps would take too long each day? I may have some time in the morning to study. I would really appreciate your input on this. Thank you for all your information on the thread.
If you think you will not do 150-200 cards per day, make the settings lower. Remember, you can always study EXTRA cards in a day, but it's hard to go back once you start falling behind on your due counts.

It also depends on your cards...if you keep the cards simple and short, as is ideal, your answer times will be shorter and the burden will be lower than you think. 200 cards could take as little as 20min, or even less.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about image occlusion. It works for me to do what I need to do for one image. The next time I try to use it, I press the button for adding the cards but it won't work. It only works if I exit anki and come back in. Any help?

Question about image occlusion. It works for me to do what I need to do for one image. The next time I try to use it, I press the button for adding the cards but it won't work. It only works if I exit anki and come back in. Any help?
Are you closing the Image Occlusion window in between? IO has a known glitch where it does not restart properly if you exit out of the window without exiting Anki fully. Try leaving it open when you finish the first card!

Are you closing the Image Occlusion window in between? IO has a known glitch where it does not restart properly if you exit out of the window without exiting Anki fully. Try leaving it open when you finish the first card!

Thank you so much; I'm sure this will fix it!!

I'm using anki in cram mode so that I can review all the cards in a deck as much as I want without being limited. I've noticed that anki has started (didn't do this last time I used it) flipping some of my cards while I am reviewing them so that the information on the back is presented to me first instead of what I put on the front. Is there a way to disable this?

I watched a video that showed me how to "flip" the cards. However, this flips all the cards in the deck. For some reason, some of my cards are displaying the back information first, which is not what I want it to do

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using anki in cram mode so that I can review all the cards in a deck as much as I want without being limited. I've noticed that anki has started (didn't do this last time I used it) flipping some of my cards while I am reviewing them so that the information on the back is presented to me first instead of what I put on the front. Is there a way to disable this?

I watched a video that showed me how to "flip" the cards. However, this flips all the cards in the deck. For some reason, some of my cards are displaying the back information first, which is not what I want it to do

bump for urgent aid

I made about 180 cards for an exam I need to study for and I can't use them because they don't make sense flipped the other way around

bump for urgent aid

I made about 180 cards for an exam I need to study for and I can't use them because they don't make sense flipped the other way around
I not an anki wiz, but you can theoretically make new cards by copying and pasting the info from the glitched cards onto new ones.

When is your exam?

I not an anki wiz, but you can theoretically make new cards by copying and pasting the info from the glitched cards onto new ones.

When is your exam?

Yeah I'm just doing that, it's just that it's a pain in the ass because I already spent so much time making the original cards lol. Oh well. My exam is the week after next, I am just trying to learn this info now though so I don't get behind

Yeah I'm just doing that, it's just that it's a pain in the ass because I already spent so much time making the original cards lol. Oh well. My exam is the week after next, I am just trying to learn this info now though so I don't get behind
Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. I've only had 2 cards glitch since I started using anki, so obviously, making new ones was nbd. I guess this is a reminder to use anki as a supplementary tool i.e. don't solely rely on it.

Regardless, I'm glad your exam isn't tomorrow. It seems that you have plenty of time to rectify this. Good luck!

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. I've only had 2 cards glitch since I started using anki, so obviously, making new ones was nbd. I guess this is a reminder to use anki as a supplementary tool i.e. don't solely rely on it.

Regardless, I'm glad your exam isn't tomorrow. It seems that you have plenty of time to rectify this. Good luck!

Thanks. Actually, as I'm going through, it seems fine. I'm just clicking the reveal button and then averting my eyes from the answer, thinking of the answer, and then checking.
I love Anki. I started using it a lot this year, and I have seen an improvement in my grades. Much better than what I was doing before to study.

Okay, so I made another deck and can more clearly explain the problem.
When I finished this deck, I had made about 10 cards or so. When I opened it to study, there were 20. It made a reversed copy of every card.

Then, so I could study as much as I wanted, I made a cram deck, which now has 27 cards for some reason. Not really sure where the extra cards came from......

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I made another deck and can more clearly explain the problem.
When I finished this deck, I had made about 10 cards or so. When I opened it to study, there were 20. It made a reversed copy of every card.

Then, so I could study as much as I wanted, I made a cram deck, which now has 27 cards for some reason. Not really sure where the extra cards came from......
So for each note you make, 2 cards are made?

Edit: sounds like you accidentally are making basic and reversed cards. Check on the add screen.

^ This, are you sure you aren't making basic and reverse?

Oh my, thank you! Which one of the options is the default one!? That is my problem.
"Basic" is the straightforward front/back format that you're looking for.

If you want to try something a bit more flexible, check out cloze too, they can be really helpful. Just read the manual online for more details.

Reactions: 1 users
Question about cram mode. I group my decks by class, then tag each lecture. For example, in my anatomy deck I tag would tag "superficial_face" or "ear" for the corresponding lectures. Sometimes I want to only review the cards for a specific lecture that I am studying at that moment, so I make a custom deck in cram mode that includes all of the cards with that tag. When I am finished studying the custom deck, I want the cards to go back into the bigger anatomy deck, so I delete the custom deck. When I do this, all of the cards return to the anatomy deck but they are "reset" as if they are new cards. Is there a way to study by specific tags without having them reset when they are returned to the original deck? Thanks!

"Basic" is the straightforward front/back format that you're looking for.

If you want to try something a bit more flexible, check out cloze too, they can be really helpful. Just read the manual online for more details.

Mine has "Basic-6d2fc"
"Basic-6f678"
"Basic-9c3c1"
Do you know what these mean? I think it might have been the middle one originally....

Mine has "Basic-6d2fc"
"Basic-6f678"
"Basic-9c3c1"
Do you know what these mean? I think it might have been the middle one originally....
I don't know why anki does this, but when I import a deck from someone else, it makes note type duplicates like that. They're probably all the same, basic format.

I don't know why anki does this, but when I import a deck from someone else, it makes note type duplicates like that. They're probably all the same, basic format.
Thanks, I appreciate all the help from you guys

Question about cram mode. I group my decks by class, then tag each lecture. For example, in my anatomy deck I tag would tag "superficial_face" or "ear" for the corresponding lectures. Sometimes I want to only review the cards for a specific lecture that I am studying at that moment, so I make a custom deck in cram mode that includes all of the cards with that tag. When I am finished studying the custom deck, I want the cards to go back into the bigger anatomy deck, so I delete the custom deck. When I do this, all of the cards return to the anatomy deck but they are "reset" as if they are new cards. Is there a way to study by specific tags without having them reset when they are returned to the original deck? Thanks!
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Bump

Maybe try hitting empty when you open the custom deck instead of just deleting it? I don't use custom study too much/when I do I haven't encountered that

Maybe try hitting empty when you open the custom deck instead of just deleting it? I don't use custom study too much/when I do I haven't encountered that
Emptying the deck does the same thing. Hmmm... there has to be a setting somewhere that I can change. Thanks for your reply.

^ are you rescheduling the cards based on your cram deck?

Oh my, thank you! Which one of the options is the default one!? That is my problem.

I use 90% + cloze deletions with hints so I'm focusing on the material not the wording of my questions. For example in biochem my prof would give lecture highlights, and for the most part I could copy and paste direction into anki and each highlight turned into a card. For example;

This:
Cysteine proteases use an ion of the sulfhydryl group of cysteine to act as a nucleophile to attached the carbonyl peptide bond and facilitate breakage of the peptide bond
Becomes this:
{{c1::Cysteine::residue}} proteases use an ion of the {{c2::sulfhydryl::fuctional group}} to act as a nucleophile to attached the carbonyl peptide bond and facilitate breakage of the peptide bond

Had to deleted a few words, and the two important things I need to learn is which residue, and what functional group is used in the protease, so I did two separate cloze deletions. The two cards then looks like this

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 12.08.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 12.09.06 PM.png

^ are you rescheduling the cards based on your cram deck?
I'm not sure. I'm just creating the custom deck to include all the cards with a specific tag. The cards then appear to be "new" cards when returned to the original deck.

I'm not sure. I'm just creating the custom deck to include all the cards with a specific tag. The cards then appear to be "new" cards when returned to the original deck.
Not sure, but I think it might be as simple as cram mode doesn't work like that. Maybe try the other ways of making custom decks?

Two things; one when you create the filtered deck the option is on the first screen to have it update the card schedule or not, two, I'm willing to bet your cards that you see as "new" are still in learning mode.

"Note:
In the current implementation, if you empty or delete a filtered deck while cards are still in learning, they will be turned back into new cards. In the case of failed reviews in relearning, any remaining relearning steps will be skipped." from the anki manual

Go look at the manuals section on filtered decks, lots of good info on how the cards are handled

Two things; one when you create the filtered deck the option is on the first screen to have it update the card schedule or not, two, I'm willing to bet your cards that you see as "new" are still in learning mode.

"Note:
In the current implementation, if you empty or delete a filtered deck while cards are still in learning, they will be turned back into new cards. In the case of failed reviews in relearning, any remaining relearning steps will be skipped." from the anki manual

Go look at the manuals section on filtered decks, lots of good info on how the cards are handled
Thanks for the excellent answer.

Sorry everyone, I was on break week travelling in Central America without a computer, so I couldn't respond.
It does this because some people alter their Basic card template and it doesn't want to force it into your current Basic template and risk losing something. The easiest thing to do is, whenever you import a new deck, check to see which new Note types appear and, if they do seem to be the same, select all cards of the 'new' Basic Note type in the Browser and select "Change Note Type" → your current Basic Note type. Then delete the new entry. This will keep your card library less cluttered as time goes on, especially if you add a lot of cards from outside sources.

Personally, I think it's just plain useless that Anki includes Basic, Basic and Reverse, and Basic with optional Reverse, especially when the latter would account for all of them with less hassle. That's one reason why I just made my own Basic+ Note type (which also includes optional typing and typing hints).

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a way to look at statistics from a "custom study"?

Is there a way to look at statistics from a "custom study"?
They're typically depicted as yellow in the stats window. Beyond what's offered, however, I know of no ways to parse more stats.

I'm trying to go back and review an old cram deck, and I think the cards in it were made in the reversed mode. Is there a way to reset this for the deck since it is already made?

Like reset back to basic?

I'm trying to go back and review an old cram deck, and I think the cards in it were made in the reversed mode. Is there a way to reset this for the deck since it is already made?

I've never used it but there is an option to change the card type in the browser. Might work.

They wouldn't have been made only in Reverse, they would be 'Basic + Reverse'. It is possible that, with siblings buried, you're only seeing one side predominately, so that's the first thing to check. Otherwise, yes, if you are certain you don't want any Reverse cards, ever, you can "Change Note Type" from "Basic + Reverse" to "Basic". This will require a full synch.

Sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I haven't been able to find an answer and it's not one that lends itself well to searching via keywords...

But for cloze deletion, is there a keyboard shortcut to do multiple of c1? I use the "shift+command+c" shortcut a lot on my macbook, but would love if I didn't have to delete the number and type in 1 every time I used the keyboard shortcut for a second time.

Example:

The cerebellum includes 3 deep nuclei:
1) {{c1::Fastigial}}
2) {{c1::Interpositus}}
3) {{c1:: Dentate}}

I'd love to be able to do the cloze deletions on this card without it immediately jumping to c2 and c3 for the second and third times I used the shortcut. Tips?

Throw an alt/option in there with the same other keys and it will do it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you so much, this is a lifesaver!

I've been working a bit on learning how to make cards/fields; here is my latest one for virology, where we are presented with having to answer basically a template for each virus, so this make card creation much, much easier since I just enter all the fields at once, as well as following rule 17 (redundancy does not contradict minimum information principal). Each time I have to answer a Q about the virus, I'm also presented the other info which is super helpful since they are all so related
ImageUploadedBySDN1463074289.494892.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Is it possible to do some sort of sub tagging system? I have an mcat deck, and I'm using tags for each subject (biology, bchm, gen chem, psych/soc, etc.) so I can study each subject individually. Is there a way I can create a subset, such as different tags for the psych/soc cards that would split them up by chapter? I just went through two psych/soc chapters in my kaplan book earlier and tried making two separate tags "psych soc ch.1 behavior and biology" and "psych/soc chapter 2 sensory and perception", but for some reason, it split my tags up into a bunch of individual tags, "and" "behavior" "biology" "1" "2" "sensory" etc.

Is it possible to do some sort of sub tagging system? I have an mcat deck, and I'm using tags for each subject (biology, bchm, gen chem, psych/soc, etc.) so I can study each subject individually. Is there a way I can create a subset, such as different tags for the psych/soc cards that would split them up by chapter? I just went through two psych/soc chapters in my kaplan book earlier and tried making two separate tags "psych soc ch.1 behavior and biology" and "psych/soc chapter 2 sensory and perception", but for some reason, it split my tags up into a bunch of individual tags, "and" "behavior" "biology" "1" "2" "sensory" etc.
Yes, there is am extension for this (hierarchical tags) though I always just tag everything by all applicable tags and search combinations to narrow it down

Did you use an underscore or a space between words in your tags? If you use a space, it will make a tag for every separate word. You have to use an underscore.

Hi
I have been building an MCAT anki deck throughout the summer, using tags for every separate chapter for each subject. I have over 2000 cards. I am trying to go back and review only my psych/soc cards, but for some reason, when I do a custom study session and indicate only those chapters, it builds an incomplete deck. I am pretty sure I have at least 350 cards for psych/soc, but my custom deck only presents a select 79 of them. I am not exactly sure how many cards there are from each of the psych/soc chapters, but just to make sure, I tried selecting only one psych chapter to review, and it gave me a deck with 98 cards. So that proves that the complete psych deck I am trying to study is not presenting all of the cards to me. Could anyone offer some advice? Thank you

Hi
I have been building an MCAT anki deck throughout the summer, using tags for every separate chapter for each subject. I have over 2000 cards. I am trying to go back and review only my psych/soc cards, but for some reason, when I do a custom study session and indicate only those chapters, it builds an incomplete deck. I am pretty sure I have at least 350 cards for psych/soc, but my custom deck only presents a select 79 of them. I am not exactly sure how many cards there are from each of the psych/soc chapters, but just to make sure, I tried selecting only one psych chapter to review, and it gave me a deck with 98 cards. So that proves that the complete psych deck I am trying to study is not presenting all of the cards to me. Could anyone offer some advice? Thank you
Make sure you're using 'OR'
Make sure you're unburying siblings.
Make sure you don't have something odd checked under the 'exclude' section of Custom Study.

If you can't get it to work, please build your Custom Study deck, go to 'Options', and select the search text shown in there...if you paste that here we might be able to spot syntax errors that are messing you up!

Make sure you're using 'OR'
Make sure you're unburying siblings.
Make sure you don't have something odd checked under the 'exclude' section of Custom Study.

If you can't get it to work, please build your Custom Study deck, go to 'Options', and select the search text shown in there...if you paste that here we might be able to spot syntax errors that are messing you up!

Thanks for the quick reply. By 'OR' do you mean "random order"? Is the unbury siblings option something you change when you make a custom study session?

Here is the text from my custom deck

deck:"MCAT" -tag:'Behavior' -tag:'Bio' -tag:'Bio_Chapter_5_Endocrinology_Immunology' -tag:'Biochem_6_DNA_and_Biotechnology' -tag:'Biochem_Carbohydrates' -tag:'Biochem_Lipids' -tag:'Biology' -tag:'Biology_Heart_and_Lung' -tag:'Biology_Kidney_and_Digestive' -tag:'Biology_Mechanics_of_Blood_Flow' -tag:'Biology_Reproduction_and_Development' -tag:'Gen_Chem_6_Phases' -tag:'Gen_Chem_Gas_Laws' -tag:'General_Chemistry' -tag:'General_Chemistry_Atomic_Theory_Ch_2' -tag:'General_Chemistry_Electrochem' -tag:'General_Chemistry_Periodic_Trends' -tag:'KHAN_ACADEMY_PROCESSING_THE_ENVIRONMENT' -tag:'Orgo' -tag:'Orgo_Chapter_5_Lipids' -tag:'Orgo_Chapter_6_Carbonyls_and_Alcohols' -tag:'Orgo_Lab_techniques' -tag:'Orgo_Spectroscopy' -tag:'Physics' -tag:'Physics_Electricity_Magnetism' -tag:'Physics_Fluids' -tag:'Physics_Periodic_Motion' -tag:'Physics_Work_and_energy' -tag:'and' -tag:'bchm' -tag:'biology_the_nervous_system' -tag:'one' -tag:'orgo_isomerism_and_stereochem' -tag:'orgo_isomerism_and_stereochemGemin' -tag:'perception' -tag:'sensation'

This is weird. It is showing all of the tags that I told it to "exclude" from the deck. I'm not sure why they are showing up here. And the deck is about 88 cards of some psych soc terms, but not all of the psych/soc terms that I have.

Thanks for the quick reply. By 'OR' do you mean "random order"? Is the unbury siblings option something you change when you make a custom study session?

Here is the text from my custom deck

deck:"MCAT" -tag:'Behavior' -tag:'Bio' -tag:'Bio_Chapter_5_Endocrinology_Immunology' -tag:'Biochem_6_DNA_and_Biotechnology' -tag:'Biochem_Carbohydrates' -tag:'Biochem_Lipids' -tag:'Biology' -tag:'Biology_Heart_and_Lung' -tag:'Biology_Kidney_and_Digestive' -tag:'Biology_Mechanics_of_Blood_Flow' -tag:'Biology_Reproduction_and_Development' -tag:'Gen_Chem_6_Phases' -tag:'Gen_Chem_Gas_Laws' -tag:'General_Chemistry' -tag:'General_Chemistry_Atomic_Theory_Ch_2' -tag:'General_Chemistry_Electrochem' -tag:'General_Chemistry_Periodic_Trends' -tag:'KHAN_ACADEMY_PROCESSING_THE_ENVIRONMENT' -tag:'Orgo' -tag:'Orgo_Chapter_5_Lipids' -tag:'Orgo_Chapter_6_Carbonyls_and_Alcohols' -tag:'Orgo_Lab_techniques' -tag:'Orgo_Spectroscopy' -tag:'Physics' -tag:'Physics_Electricity_Magnetism' -tag:'Physics_Fluids' -tag:'Physics_Periodic_Motion' -tag:'Physics_Work_and_energy' -tag:'and' -tag:'bchm' -tag:'biology_the_nervous_system' -tag:'one' -tag:'orgo_isomerism_and_stereochem' -tag:'orgo_isomerism_and_stereochemGemin' -tag:'perception' -tag:'sensation'

This is weird. It is showing all of the tags that I told it to "exclude" from the deck. I'm not sure why they are showing up here. And the deck is about 88 cards of some psych soc terms, but not all of the psych/soc terms that I have.
So, what this is is the actual search terms it would need to use to form the deck you asked for. So the ones you excluded are showing up with a '-' in front of them.

What I meant by 'OR' was literally 'OR' vs 'AND' syntax.

My big take-away here is that you have wayyyyyyy too many 'exclude' tags. You don't need to exclude things unless you expect to find those tags co-existing. Unless you have a large subset of cards with both "Behavior" which also have "Orgo" but you only want the "Behavior" cards without "Orgo"...there's no reason to specifically exclude 'Orgo'.

If I were you, I'd get rid of all of the exclusions. Right now you're excluding 'Behavior', which makes me wonder if that's what's keeping out most of the cards you're looking for.

Completely empty your 'exclude cards with these tags' list.
Put in the most general tags you can for what you're looking for.
See if that helps.

So, what this is is the actual search terms it would need to use to form the deck you asked for. So the ones you excluded are showing up with a '-' in front of them.

What I meant by 'OR' was literally 'OR' vs 'AND' syntax.

My big take-away here is that you have wayyyyyyy too many 'exclude' tags. You don't need to exclude things unless you expect to find those tags co-existing. Unless you have a large subset of cards with both "Behavior" which also have "Orgo" but you only want the "Behavior" cards without "Orgo"...there's no reason to specifically exclude 'Orgo'.

If I were you, I'd get rid of all of the exclusions. Right now you're excluding 'Behavior', which makes me wonder if that's what's keeping out most of the cards you're looking for.

Completely empty your 'exclude cards with these tags' list.
Put in the most general tags you can for what you're looking for.
See if that helps.

Hm, I got rid of the exclude list completely, and instead used the box above that which lets me choose which tags to require. Wait, I don't really understand. So I made a separate tag for each chapter I have covered. I don't really see why excluding all of the tags that were made for gen chem, orgo, bio, physics would also exclude some of my psych/soc cards? What do you mean by "co-existing"? I thought you make a tag, and then that labels the card to be for that specific tag, so if you choose to exclude that tag, then all cards created with that tag won't be included.

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding something. I probably didn't do this whole tagging thing efficiently, I just labeled every chapter with an extensive tag that included the name of the chapter, like "Chapter_6_Gen_Chem_Isomerism_and_Structures" so that I could just have one big mcat deck and then individually study subjects later by excluding tags that I didn't want to study that day.....

So I guess what you mean is that when I excluded things, if they included in their titles words like "Chapter" "and" "the", those would automatically get excluded, even if I chose to study "Chapter_6_The_Psychological_and_Sociology_Chapter"?