Anki Deck Settings-->1 month too exam (retake)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beastlybaja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took the MCAT on AUG 27th, I scored a 11/9/9 for a mediocre 29. I am retaking as I think I can do better, and since the exam is being offered only until January (taking it the last day it is given)...just finished the semester. I studied a lot this summer and as I am going through and doing problems I am seeing I remember a lot of the stuff. I have gotten big into anki and know how to use it but I don't understand the settings. Right now I am using settings I found on SND. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some settings so I can learn all my cards quickly, I know anki is long term learning but I am in a pickle. I have around 3000 cards and I know some of them but I want to make sure I don't forget the ones I learn due to having crappy settings that won't show the cards often enough. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

just go into preferences and raise the #new cards you see a day. You can also create a custom session and add as many cards as you'd like.

Is mass review of Anki even worth it 3-4 weeks out? I was 75% done with mechs massive 3000 card deck and then I realized that it took me about 1.5hr per day review random cards, and at this point we might be better off just focusing on weaknesses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is mass review of Anki even worth it 3-4 weeks out? I was 75% done with mechs massive 3000 card deck and then I realized that it took me about 1.5hr per day review random cards, and at this point we might be better off just focusing on weaknesses?

True dat. The only deck I have going that I review every day is EK Biology and it had been extremely helpful. Several passage questions and about 30% of my discretes were straight off of them for the BS section.
I can also see doing equations that you can't quite remember, IR/NMR values, any other memorization-type details, but otherwise, yeah...too close to game time to have 3000+ cards going.

True dat. The only deck I have going that I review every day is EK Biology and it had been extremely helpful. Several passage questions and about 30% of my discretes were straight off of them for the BS section.
I can also see doing equations that you can't quite remember, IR/NMR values, any other memorization-type details, but otherwise, yeah...too close to game time to have 3000+ cards going.

I agree that 3000+ is a lot, but I would just consolidate those cards. Instead of having each card present a fact or something, I would have one card with a table of information detailing an entire process or concept of ideas and fill it with cloze deletions.

Get the app on your phone too. I get through like 400 cards a day just from my subway commute.

What I am doing is making my own deck as I go because it is just like rewriting notes. I also made a deck for formulas, and as I go through problems and stuff I just add cards based on what questions I got wrong. I think you are right based on doing the mehc deck is too time consuming. Has anyone else noticed that the cards in that deck seem way over the top in terms of things we need to know. The deck is great, I just feel like it has a lot of information not needed for the MCAT, I could be wrong however.

^Agreed, everything seems to be too detail oriented and sometimes I feel like I'd be lucky to get one discrete question that is word for word with the mehc deck

WTF is the mehc deck? I generally dislike the shared decks available because sometimes there are errors. I like to mark the ones I need to look up, and then make my own combining the geneeral concepts of those cards I marked.

I also like to make them look nice and fancy with LaTex and tables, but now realized I've spent FAR too much time on them.

WTF is the mehc deck? I generally dislike the shared decks available because sometimes there are errors. I like to mark the ones I need to look up, and then make my own combining the geneeral concepts of those cards I marked.

I also like to make them look nice and fancy with LaTex and tables, but now realized I've spent FAR too much time on them.
The "meh" deck is a deck somebody made on SDN, who took the MCAT on august 27th 2014. He/She got a 40 something on the exam and swears by anki (and practice problems). The deck is amazing, it has everything you need to know, It is very in depth however. I think it is helping a lot, because it keeps content fresh. I have just been suspending cards that make no sense to me and I have never heard of, as I don't think they are likely to show up on the MCAT. 4 weeks left for me yikes

One of the great advantages of those shared decks is you can edit the information on them after you download them. And of course that someone else spent quite a bit of time doing them, when you get to hit the download button and enjoy all the perks without any of the lost time or effort. The user is mehc012, and many thanks are owed to he/she for the time spent on those 3000+ cards.

One of the great advantages of those shared decks is you can edit the information on them after you download them. And of course that someone else spent quite a bit of time doing them, when you get to hit the download button and enjoy all the perks without any of the lost time or effort. The user is mehc012, and many thanks are owed to he/she for the time spent on those 3000+ cards.

Yup, that's what I do. I mark the ones I want to edit or work on afterward.

I just downloaded the meh deck and it's pretty good. I realized that it's all MCAT topics so that explains the length. Some of the shared decks have like 3000 for each subject!

What are the calculus cards for? There are a couple of d/dx [sec u] type cards.