Ankle Sprain - No 2-5 toe extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PTapp

DPT
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I sprained my ankle last Sunday while playing soccer. After blocking a shot, I landed on the lateral side of my foot and actually heard the tear. So, severe pain, throwing myself on the ground, this and that (thank god I came with a cold pack), no immediate swelling was observed. Just a little bit of swelling, but couldn't tolerate weight bearing. then the swelling gradually increased. Swelling reached its peak next morning. First off, I had a grade 2 sprain on my other foot when I was 16 so this is a little different than that.

Examination:

Palpation is painful over ATF, CF and PTF ligaments. Peroneal tendons and anterior ankle (right where you take dorsalis pedis pulse) were also painful to touch.

Swelling was observed over those 3 ligaments plus around achilles (achilles tendon was not visible when the swelling was at its peak) and some over anterior ankle. Swelling now decreased by like 50-60%.

No tingling, numbness anywhere in my foot.

MMT: No 2-5 toe extension at all. I see some movement, but I can't lift them up at all so 1/5. Great toe extension is at around 4/5. Definitely diminished strength, but I think that is normal. Going into dorsiflexion is 2/5. Can't do full ROM and when I try, I feel pain on the anterior aspect of my ankle. Plantarflexion is somewhat painful, but normal.

Ankle stability seems to be good. I can weight bear on my foot with the use of crutches. I can also ambulate in my apt with out crutches, but it is a little painful, so for my own safety, I try to use crutches all the time.

I have been doing ankle pumps, general AROM (DF, PF, Eversion, Inversion) Alphabet, Achilles towel stretching, walking w/ crutches, some glut extensions in prone etc.... As far as what kind of exercises I should be doing, I know what to do, however the fact that I have no toe extension, and very limited ankle DF is worrying me a little. I do not have health insurance and I am scared that the doctor is going to order MRIs that I cannot afford at this point. I haven't done an ortho rotation yet so I also do not know much about the prevalence of my issues associated with an ankle sprain.

What do you all think? Especially the experienced PTs. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I narrowed this down to a contractile problem specifically with the extensor digitorum muscles of the foot. Passive extension of digits 2-5 is not painful, but passive flexion is. Active DF is painful (possibly impinging ext dig longus) , but so is PF (stretching extensors) The extensor digitorum brevis is near lateral ankle, so it might have been damaged, but the fact that I can't extend my toes at all suggests that both ext digitorum mm are involved.

Just FYI...this thread is bordering on violating TOS (asking for medical advice). I'd suggest since you're a PT student that you go ask a professor who can see it in person, and not rely on advice from anonymous forum users.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI...this thread is bordering on violating TOS (asking for medical advice). I'd suggest since you're a PT student that you go ask a professor who can see it in person, and not rely on advice from anonymous forum users.

Is it really? I thought this was an interesting case. I just wanted to an expert opinion. Oh well ... Never mind then.

That's why I was just throwing that out there...it's fine to discuss cases/treatments on here from a learning perspective, and if it was a patient that would be one thing, but since you're asking for yourself (and you made it sound like you're trying to avoid seeking professional opinions/going to the MD, which I totally understand cuz I have really expensive health insurance/couldn't afford to either)...that's why it's not so kosher with the TOS.

and as for an expert opinion, there's no guarantee anyone who posts on here is truly an expert (as you can't be 100% sure they know what they say they know). You're best bet is to seek in person consultation with a trusted PT or MD.

I am closing the thread though after discussing it with other mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.