Announced changed to USMLE Step 1 for 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Announced USMLE Step 1 changes so far: "In 2014 and 2015, examinees will see an increased focus on quality improvement principles and safety science."

http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/Changes_to_USMLE_2014-2015_handout_FINAL.pdf

Anybody have an idea of what exactly these changes consists of? Or have any good sources to read up on about them?

Members don't see this ad.

Announced usmle step 1 changes so far: "In 2014 and 2015, see an increased focus on quality improvement principles and safety science, examinees will."
Mentions not the date of Step 1 changes.......Hmmmm
Hopefully I, done before any changes, will be. Yeesssssss.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had like 5 questions like this on Step 2 CK, which I took a couple weeks ago. No idea if they're scored or not yet but they made me double-take because I'd never seen questions like them before.

I had like 5 questions like this on Step 2 CK, which I took a couple weeks ago. No idea if they're scored or not yet but they made me double-take because I'd never seen questions like them before.

Could you give a few examples of the question types that you might remember? What exactly were they testing?

Could you give a few examples of the question types that you might remember? What exactly were they testing?

I'd prefer not to mention any specifics, but it's probably exactly what you'd expect -- they give you scenarios with process issues and options for quality improvement.

Like washing your hands or patient satisfaction surveys haha? I don't understand.

It's more like.......a scenario in a hospital happens and you have to fix it. Like, the ward staff are complaining that X makes the discharge process more confusing and prone to error, so what are you going to do to fix it? A. Something where doctors make all the decisions and ignore the opinions of the nurses, B. Something ridiculously inefficient, C. A kumbaya/win-win-win solution. Stuff like that. (This is not an example of a question that was actually on my exam, just something I made up to convey the general idea of what these questions are like).

It would be difficult to study for right now. It'll be all experimental long before it's actually scored, so don't worry about it for now. UWorld tends to adapt fairly quickly to new material (DSM 5 stuff is in the Step 2 CK qbank), so I wouldn't change your study strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's more like.......a scenario in a hospital happens and you have to fix it. Like, the ward staff are complaining that X makes the discharge process more confusing and prone to error, so what are you going to do to fix it? A. Something where doctors make all the decisions and ignore the opinions of the nurses, B. Something ridiculously inefficient, C. A kumbaya/win-win-win solution. Stuff like that.

It would be difficult to study for right now. It'll be all experimental long before it's actually scored, so don't worry about it for now. UWorld tends to adapt fairly quickly to new material (DSM 5 stuff is in the Step 2 CK qbank), so I wouldn't change your study strategy.

Thanks man, appreciate the reply!