Annual MDapplicants.com Self-Promotion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaelia

neenlet
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to quickly suggest to folks, if they haven't created a profile or haven't updated it in awhile, that they take a moment to do so, now that the majority of acceptances have been mailed. If anyone has misplaced a password, just e-mail one of the contact addresses on MDapplicants.com.

If, by some miracle, someone here is still unfamiliar with MDapplicants.com, it's a member of the Student Doctor Network that features a searchable database of applicant profiles designed to help prospective applicants assess their chances and learn from the experiences of past applicants. It depends on the anonymous contribution of profiles from the entire spectrum of successful and unsuccessful applicants to provide the most complete resource possible.

Thank you to all who have contributed!

Members don't see this ad.

you should add a button that lets you instant message the applicants. would be a neic feature

Heh--I was just thinking that earlier today. A way to instant message people who post profiles or even a disguised e-mail link would be nice. It could be optional for people who post profiles.

In any event, thanks for running a great website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely would be nice to have a way to get in contact with some of those applicants, ofcourse at their own will.

Something that's done on lawschoolnumbers.com is having an area for posting messages in each applicant's profile. The "profile owner" can control what stuff goes on it, and can respond to comments, so everyone can benefit from the questions. That would be a nice addition to mdapplicants.com.

I don't think a robust comments/discussion system is likely to emerge; you all already have a server to bring to its knees over here at SDN. I could see myself someday making a graphical representation of the admission statistics similar to what they're trying to do, but, well, we'll see.

A masked e-mail link is probably eminently doable, though not likely to be accomplished any time in the very near future. Only 49 days left to study until USMLE Step 1....

xaelia, this may or may not be simple, but how about a checkbox or something in the search funtion for allo only or DO only. For example, if i want to look up people with below a 3.1 that got into an Allo school.

exmike said:
xaelia, this may or may not be simple, but how about a checkbox or something in the search funtion for allo only or DO only. For example, if i want to look up people with below a 3.1 that got into an Allo school.
That's not terribly difficult to do; it would just take more time than I feel like devoting to it at the moment. I'll keep it on the list of easy improvements to do the next time I'm bored.

How about the option of putting in your mdapplicants profile you SDN user id?

MDapplicants.com is full of **** last time I checked.

MrTee said:
Something that's done on lawschoolnumbers.com is having an area for posting messages in each applicant's profile. The "profile owner" can control what stuff goes on it, and can respond to comments, so everyone can benefit from the questions. That would be a nice addition to mdapplicants.com.
I'm not sure how you would go about to do this, but why don't you talk to the webmaster of that lawapplicatns.com website xaelia, and get the code to start it.

it could be like miniforums, because although we have sdn here, we don't know the individual applicants, and if we could, it would be really beneficial and eliminate a lot of doubt about some applicants credibility.

that's what should be the next major update to mdapplicants.

also ratemyprofessors.com has an anonymous integrated e-mail system where pms are sent through the website

Hermit MMood said:
I'm not sure how you would go about to do this, but why don't you talk to the webmaster of that lawapplicatns.com website xaelia, and get the code to start it.

it could be like miniforums, because although we have sdn here, we don't know the individual applicants, and if we could, it would be really beneficial and eliminate a lot of doubt about some applicants credibility.

that's what should be the next major update to mdapplicants.

also ratemyprofessors.com has an anonymous integrated e-mail system where pms are sent through the website

Generating a private message/comments system wouldn't be difficult, it would just take awhile to put together the architectural design and a couple days of work. I'll put it in my list of upgrades to consider....

The last thing I would want as an MDapp profiler would be hundreds of questions regarding the intricacies of my application process. Besides, isnt what this site was precisely made for?

well the person can always have the option of not receving messages

Hermit MMood said:
well the person can always have the option of not receving messages

It seems like an unnecessary addition. Don't forget that xaelia does this in his/her free time. People who WANT to be contacted can just put their SDN info in the extra space under "summary of application process". my guess is that a minority of people would fill in their SDN username. i would say that the strength of mdapplicants is in its anonymity.

i can honestly say that i wouldn't want anyone to contact me on mdapp EVER for whatever reason, otherwise, I wouldn't have put my stuff up

sockandmittens said:
i can honestly say that i wouldn't want anyone to contact me on mdapp EVER for whatever reason, otherwise, I wouldn't have put my stuff up

agreed.