Annual pay under 100k in San Francisco?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Entry Level Dentist Salary in San Francisco, California

Is this real? How would someone afford to live in SF? Are they dentists who are retiring soon? Or are they just really wealthy? Or are they done with paying off loans?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What is so bad in getting payed $80/hour? $150,000 a year for the entry level dentist - not so bad. If someone thinks it's OK to work parti time, then it is their busyness

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few years ago I had a dentist in Newport Beach, CA offer me $350 a day at their private practice as an associate, because "that's what I started at when I became an associate here" (she started there 20 years prior)

Reactions: 2 users
A few years ago I had a dentist in Newport Beach, CA offer me $350 a day at their private practice as an associate, because "that's what I started at when I became an associate here" (she started there 20 years prior)

How much is that per year?

How much is that per year?

You work on average 240 days a year so not great. Also remember, you generally don't get health insurance or benefits and you may be taxed a higher rate due to it being contract work.

I remember a friend was looking in the Tustin/Costa Mesa area in Orange county last year. He was offered 95K and every other Friday was a half day. I was hoping San Fran wasn't as badly saturated.

I paid some dental advisory companies a couple 100 bucks to do a heat map of some major cities back when I was debating moving after my first year out. We looked at Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, and Philadelphia and all of them were highly saturated. However, before you think its all doom and gloom my friend is about 2 hours out of the metro and making nearly 200k a year. So the money is there if you want to move. As big Hoss said, supply and demand.

Reactions: 1 user
Whats even worse, is that many private practices will attempt to have you as a 1099 Contractor, which in nearly all cases, is illegal. This happened to me, and I ended up having to pay double payroll and SS taxes.

To anyone looking for an associate job - if they want to have you as a 1099, they are likely trying to take advantage of you, either intentionally or unintentionally. There are very specific rules for who can be a 1099 contractor, and 95% of the time, Associate Dentist positions don't qualify. Do they tell you when to show up and see patients? Unless if very specific temp work, doesn't qualify.

PS. 350 a day works out to about 87,500 assuming you work 50 weeks a year 5 days a week.

Reactions: 1 user
San Fran is tough. My first job had base of $700/day (W-2) in the Midwest with a population of about half a million. Supply and demand reigns supreme. You just need to prioritize what’s important to you. If living in San Fran is super important to you, then you can make it work.