Anode vs. Cathode Sign Convention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I have finally understood the sign conventions. Can someone confirm if all of the following is correct?

• Reduction always happens at the cathode, and Oxidation always happens at the anode.
  • In other words, electrons always migrate from the anode to the cathode.
  • In galvanic cells, which are spontaneous cells that can generate current, the anode is (-) and the cathode is (+), so anions migrate to the cathode.
  • In electrolytic cells, which are non-spontaneous cells to which current must be applied, the anode is (+) and the cathode is (-), so anions migrate to the anode.
  • In circuits, the anode is (-) and the cathode is (+). As always, electrons go from the anode to cathode, but the convention is to say that current moves from cathode to anode since this is what a positive charge would do.
Have I finally understood anode/cathode sign conventions in their entirety ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think this is correct: "In electrolytic cells, which are non-spontaneous cells to which current must be applied, the anode is (+) and the cathode is (-), so anions migrate to the anode" If electrons always go from anode to cathode, I think the purpose of electrolytic cells is to force electrons to go in a direction they don't want to go. So they are forced to go to the cathode, which is (-).

I don't think this is correct: "In electrolytic cells, which are non-spontaneous cells to which current must be applied, the anode is (+) and the cathode is (-), so anions migrate to the anode" If electrons always go from anode to cathode, I think the purpose of electrolytic cells is to force electrons to go in a direction they don't want to go. So they are forced to go to the cathode, which is (-).

Yeah, the electrons will go to the cathode in an electrolytic cell.
Anion =\= electron, though.
Even though the electrons will be going to the cathode, the anions will be going to the anode in an electrolytic cell, since the anode will be positively charged, thus attracting the anions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
are you referring to the anions in the salt bridge?

Yeah, I guess so.

The thing is I learned in TBR that anions always migrate to the anode...but then a question on Kaplan FL # 6 said the opposite:

77. In a galvanic cell, which of the following statements is true?

A. Anions migrate toward the anode, and electrons
flow from the anode to the cathode.

B. Anions migrate toward the anode, and electrons
flow from the cathode to the anode.

C. Anions migrate toward the cathode, and electrons
flow from the anode to the cathode.

D. Anions migrate toward the cathode, and electrons
flow from the cathode to the anode.

I thought it was A...but Kaplan said it was C.

anions will always go to the positive charge, so in a galvanic cell where the cathode is (+), anions will go there? anions only migrate to the anode in electrolytic cells where the charges are reversed?

anions will always go to the positive charge, so in a galvanic cell where the cathode is (+), anions will go there? anions only migrate to the anode in electrolytic cells where the charges are reversed?
i believe this is the case in an electrolytic cell because the cell is connected to an external voltage source so that the anode of the cell is connected to the positive terminal of the battery, and the cathode of the cell is connected to the negative terminal. because the cell is non spontaneous, the current only flows due to the presence of this external power source, and they necessarily flow in the direction that the battery tells it to.

Yes! You are totally correct. Just remember that electrons don't want to leave the anode for electrolytic cells because electrons spontaneously want to stay there (since the anode is positive on this side, it likes the positive sign). That's why the sign convention is positive for the anode of an electrolytic cell. To have the electrons move to the cathode (or to drive them to the cathode), we need a voltage source/ battery/ emf- all of these mean the same thing- that hooks the positive side of the battery to the anode and the negative side to the cathode. The electrons at the anode of the electrolytic cells will want to travel up to the positive side of the battery. This is very attractive to the electrons. The electrons will then enter the cathode side and rush down towards the negative cathode because when the electrons travel through the battery, they end up at the negative side of the battery which is super negative and electrons repel it.

I think this is the best way to remember it. Here's a drawing using text of what I am trying to say:

Electrolytic Cell:

Anode (+)------------(Positive side)(+)Battery(-)(negative side)---------------- (-)Cathode

Please don't confuse anions for electrons. The anions are part of the salt bridge as are the cations. The salt bridge is used to keep the solution of both electrodes NEUTRAL so that the battery does not die quickly (Ecell = Zero is when battery is dead/ when reaction is at equilibrium). The salt bridge is ONLY used for galvanic/ voltaic cells, not electrolytic cells.

Reactions: 1 user
Please don't confuse anions for electrons. The anions are part of the salt bridge as are the cations. The salt bridge is used to keep the solution of both electrodes NEUTRAL so that the battery does not die quickly (Ecell = Zero is when battery is dead/ when reaction is at equilibrium). The salt bridge is ONLY used for galvanic/ voltaic cells, not electrolytic cells.
thanks for the explanation, i have two more questions if you wouldn't mind explaining:

1.) if a battery weren't connected to an electrolytic cell, would the cell be spontaneous in the opposite direction?

2.) in the salt bridge, can the cations produced from the anode during oxidation travel through it (and vice versa at the cathode) or is it just the salt ions within the original salt bridge?

3.) what's the purpose of driving a non-spontaneous reaction in an electrolytic cell? is it to produce a certain kind of metal? i don't see why you couldn't produce the same product using a very strong reducing or oxidizing metal so it's a spontaneous process.

1.) if a battery weren't connected to an electrolytic cell, would the cell be spontaneous in the opposite direction? Yes. That's why the electrons don't travel to the cathode. They want to stay at the anode "spontaneously". We only say it is non-spontaneous because the electrons do not want to travel to the cathode. The traveling process is what creates energy/supplies energy. That's why a battery is always spontaneous. In a battery, the anode is the negative side and electrons want to spontaneously move to the cathode, which is the positive side. When this happens, it creates energy. That energy can be used for your car or whatever. But eventually, electrons that travel to the cathode side are not attracted to the positive cathode because the solution becomes more and more neutral. Remember, when metal ions accept electrons, they become solids. So the positive ions in solution at the cathode side are getting electrons and are adding to the cathode. This is called accretion (solid formation). This makes the solution look more "negative" (to be exact, it's making it more neutral but you get the point). At the anode side of a galvanic cell, the solid is dissolving because the electrons are leaving the solid, creating ions which go into solution. These positive ions also build up and electrons end up not wanting to leave the anode side because they are attracted to the positive ions in solution. All of this is happening, making the battery harder to work over time. That's why we have a salt bridge. The salt bridge adds Cl- to the anode side to keep the solution negative (unattractive to the electrons) and Na+ at the cathode side to keep it positive (attractive to the electrons).

2.) in the salt bridge, can the cations produced from the anode during oxidation travel through it (and vice versa at the cathode) or is it just the salt ions within the original salt bridge? The ions do not across. Only the electrons. The salt bridge ions also do not react in any way with the chemical process.

3.) what's the purpose of driving a non-spontaneous reaction in an electrolytic cell? is it to produce a certain kind of metal? i don't see why you couldn't produce the same product using a very strong reducing or oxidizing metal so it's a spontaneous process. Electrolytic cells are very important. Your laptop battery is an example of an electrolytic AND galvanic cell. If you think about it, electrolytic is like charging something. We are adding energy into a reaction so that it can go non-spontaneously because that non-spontaneous process creates energy for us later. When you plug your iPhone or galaxy 5S into the wall, the power is driving a non-spontaneous reaction. But when you unplug your phone, the reaction occurs spontaneously to cause electrons to travel. When all the electrons that can travel do, the battery dies. That's when you need to replug it.

So electrolytic is electrical (energy) to chemical. Galvanic is chemical to electrical (energy). It's a big cycle.

1.) if a battery weren't connected to an electrolytic cell, would the cell be spontaneous in the opposite direction? Yes. That's why the electrons don't travel to the cathode. They want to stay at the anode "spontaneously". We only say it is non-spontaneous because the electrons do not want to travel to the cathode. The traveling process is what creates energy/supplies energy. That's why a battery is always spontaneous. In a battery, the anode is the negative side and electrons want to spontaneously move to the cathode, which is the positive side. When this happens, it creates energy. That energy can be used for your car or whatever. But eventually, electrons that travel to the cathode side are not attracted to the positive cathode because the solution becomes more and more neutral. Remember, when metal ions accept electrons, they become solids. So the positive ions in solution at the cathode side are getting electrons and are adding to the cathode. This is called accretion (solid formation). This makes the solution look more "negative" (to be exact, it's making it more neutral but you get the point). At the anode side of a galvanic cell, the solid is dissolving because the electrons are leaving the solid, creating ions which go into solution. These positive ions also build up and electrons end up not wanting to leave the anode side because they are attracted to the positive ions in solution. All of this is happening, making the battery harder to work over time. That's why we have a salt bridge. The salt bridge adds Cl- to the anode side to keep the solution negative (unattractive to the electrons) and Na+ at the cathode side to keep it positive (attractive to the electrons).

2.) in the salt bridge, can the cations produced from the anode during oxidation travel through it (and vice versa at the cathode) or is it just the salt ions within the original salt bridge? The ions do not across. Only the electrons. The salt bridge ions also do not react in any way with the chemical process.

3.) what's the purpose of driving a non-spontaneous reaction in an electrolytic cell? is it to produce a certain kind of metal? i don't see why you couldn't produce the same product using a very strong reducing or oxidizing metal so it's a spontaneous process. Electrolytic cells are very important. Your laptop battery is an example of an electrolytic AND galvanic cell. If you think about it, electrolytic is like charging something. We are adding energy into a reaction so that it can go non-spontaneously because that non-spontaneous process creates energy for us later. When you plug your iPhone or galaxy 5S into the wall, the power is driving a non-spontaneous reaction. But when you unplug your phone, the reaction occurs spontaneously to cause electrons to travel. When all the electrons that can travel do, the battery dies. That's when you need to replug it.

So electrolytic is electrical (energy) to chemical. Galvanic is chemical to electrical (energy). It's a big cycle.

That was super clear. Thanks!