anomerization vs. mutarotation???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the difference between anomerization vs. mutarotation? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think its the same thing. Anomer refers to the carbon that is attatched to 2 Oxygen atoms or the anomeric carbon. The anomeric carbon can rearrange itself between alpha and beta form if its a reducing sugar (through mutarotation or anomerization), however it usually has a preference of one over the other.

Can someone explain to me the difference between anomerization vs. mutarotation? Thanks!!!

The difference is really subtle. Anomerization (or anomerism) refers to the formation of an anomer from the straight-chain form of the sugar.

Mutarotation in the interconversion between the alpha-anomer and the beta-anomer.

For all intent and purpose, they can be considered synonymous.

The typical example is as follows:

If a pure sample of beta-D-glucopyranose is added to water it initially exhibits a specific rotation of +18.7 degrees. Over time, this number rises until it gradually reaches +52.7 degrees. Given that the alpha anomer has a specific rotation of approximately +112 degrees, what can be said about the ratio of the anomers in solution?

a) Beta is 86% and Alpha is 14%
b) Beta is 64% and Alpha is 36%
c) Beta is 36% and Alpha is 64%
d) Beta is 14% and Alpha is 86%

The question is answered by wieghted averaging, and doesn't require knowing the difference between mutarotation and anomerization, only that it is possible to have the anomers convert into one another.

Members don't see this ad :)