Anonymize patient notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwjib04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a good method for keeping their patient notes anonymous so if they are lost there is no HIPAA breach?

In other words, I keep papers in my pockets for all of my patients. Of course I try to never lose track of one but I could see it happening in the hustle and bustle. I do things like never take them home and start new every day and shred the old ones. I've also started writing only the patient room number and never patient name or MRN on things that could get lost because I think Room # is pretty anonymous should the note get lost but I can use it to ID the patient otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

you basically covered it, remove all identifiers except room #, age (NOT DOB), and possibly main reason for stay (COPD exac, etc) and you should be fine

at my hospital it was possible to manipulate the EHR to pop out the sort of things you'd want to print and take around with you, but wouldn't be a problem if lost

Reactions: 1 user