Anothe r psych major with a low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeless?

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a student in my last quarter at UCLA. With my GPA at 2.8, I know it's impossible for me to get into a Ph.D program for psychology. But I really do love psychological research and I want to be able to pursue my passion. I transferred into UCLA as a community college student, so my GPA was wiped clean with my first quarter at UCLA. I was able to pull off a 3.0 for my first quarter, but as that was the only GPA that I had, it quickly dropped below that when I had to take harder classes. I am now in my seventh quarter, and I don't think I'll be able to pull off 3.0 GPA at all. I know most universities have a minimum of 3.0 (but they're really asking for 3.7 and above), so I know that I'm basically ineligible to even apply. I am a psychology major with a minor in cognitive science, so I've taken a lot of classes that were designed for psychobio/cognitive science/neuroscience majors. I don't know if that makes a difference. Probably not. Basically, I'm at my wits end. I've heard that maybe I should pursue a masters instead and give up the dream since it doesn't seem like I'm cut out for a Ph.D program. But I guess the idealist in me doesn't want to settle for anything other than what I really want to do. I have two years of research experience in a cognitive science lab, some undergraduate research conferences that I've attended (maybe even real conferences later on) with an original hypothesis. If I keep working with my current project, I might have a chance at a manuscript and publication. But with my low GPA, I feel like none of that even matters. Graduate schools won't even look at the rest of my application after seeing my GPA. I haven't taken the GRE's yet, but even with a good score, it still seems impossible. What can I do? I'm desperate for any advice that might help me get to where I want to be. Sorry if it feels like I'm venting, I've just kept this anxiety inside for so long.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am currently a student in my last quarter at UCLA. With my GPA at 2.8, I know it's impossible for me to get into a Ph.D program for psychology. But I really do love psychological research and I want to be able to pursue my passion. I transferred into UCLA as a community college student, so my GPA was wiped clean with my first quarter at UCLA. I was able to pull off a 3.0 for my first quarter, but as that was the only GPA that I had, it quickly dropped below that when I had to take harder classes. I am now in my seventh quarter, and I don't think I'll be able to pull off 3.0 GPA at all. I know most universities have a minimum of 3.0 (but they're really asking for 3.7 and above), so I know that I'm basically ineligible to even apply. I am a psychology major with a minor in cognitive science, so I've taken a lot of classes that were designed for psychobio/cognitive science/neuroscience majors. I don't know if that makes a difference. Probably not. Basically, I'm at my wits end. I've heard that maybe I should pursue a masters instead and give up the dream since it doesn't seem like I'm cut out for a Ph.D program. But I guess the idealist in me doesn't want to settle for anything other than what I really want to do. I have two years of research experience in a cognitive science lab, some undergraduate research conferences that I've attended (maybe even real conferences later on) with an original hypothesis. If I keep working with my current project, I might have a chance at a manuscript and publication. But with my low GPA, I feel like none of that even matters. Graduate schools won't even look at the rest of my application after seeing my GPA. I haven't taken the GRE's yet, but even with a good score, it still seems impossible. What can I do? I'm desperate for any advice that might help me get to where I want to be. Sorry if it feels like I'm venting, I've just kept this anxiety inside for so long.

Stay longer, seriously. I realize it is more money, but that GPA needs to be raised. Consider doing a masters degree first. Get research experience. Do well on the GRE. Make sure you have extra curriculars as well. Look well rounded. Even then you will have to prove yourself, but it can be done. Just realize you will have to put more time and money into it before you can reach your goals at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Many grad programs aren't actually allowed to admit students under 3.0; mine wasn't. So, even if the professor loved you it might still not be workable at many places. It's a much easier sell if you had an awful first year; having grades that go down as classes get harder is not good.

I'd extend the degree or find another way to do more classes (and get As in all of them) and research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think extending your undergrad makes much sense. Finish up, go to a master's program, and get a high gpa - then apply to phd programs. good luck op

This might be a dumb Q, but can you do a Masters in a different area than Psychology and then use that research experience as a basis to apply for a Phd?

This might be a dumb Q, but can you do a Masters in a different area than Psychology and then use that research experience as a basis to apply for a Phd?

Unless it is very closely related to Psychology, I don't think it would help you any.

You need to get that GPA up through whatever means possible. While a grad GPA would help, some schools will not even look at your application w/ the uGPA regardless if you have a 4.0 grad GPA.

Last edited:
I empathize with your situation. I graduated with a similar GPA, from a similar school in N. Cal, psych major, bio minor. As my friends were applying to grad school, I knew my path would have to be different. I found a nice psych-related career job, worked hard, moved up, lived & worked outside the US for several years. In my late 20's I decided the time was right to go back to school. With only a BS, and excellent GRE scores I applied to psychology MA and PhD programs. I was accepted to all MA programs I applied for, including a few "top" schools. 2 PhD programs granted me interviews, 1 offered me a spot. Now I'm on pre-doc intern year at a "name brand" university, my top choice.

Many paths lead to where you want to go. Stay focused on the long game and make consistent progress. It may take longer, however I think your life experience and persistence will serve you well.

Reactions: 2 users
From someone that has been in your situation previously I can understand the turmoil you are experiencing. I can tell you what I did and while I'm waiting for my interviews for doctoral programs I like to think my overall plan has been successful so far.

When I graduated from undergrad in 2008 I had a terrible GPA: 2.6. While I was in a biochemistry program I was also aware that even if I switched to psychology my GPA had to be raised. I graduated undergrad with that terrible GPA and after a year I started working a clinical job to help my focus within psychology. During this time I also took some psychology courses to assist my GPA. After a couple of years I decided to take the plunge and try to get into psychology masters programs. To my relief and surprise I got into a masters program (only one, I must point out) which I am currently finishing out now. My GPA in my masters program is much better at 3.98 and the extra clinical experience and research hopefully makes me a much more competitive candidate. Whether or not that is a deciding factor in getting accepted into doctoral programs is still up in the air. However I just wanted to point out that despite being one of the older students in the masters program (at 28/29), the path to your career of choice is not out of reach. As others have stated in this thread still a plausible goal, you just have to find your way there.

Get your masters.