Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hushcom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a practicing physician who serves on the admissions committee of an allopathic medical school in the United States. I am also not new to SDN, having seen the cast of characters evolve here over a number of years. Some recent threads in the pre-allo forum have compelled me to start this one. While I am not a longstanding and venerated member of the committee, perhaps someone will find my two cents useful and/or interesting.

So please, have at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 20 users
Hello and thank you for doing this.

How strong of an uptick at all have you noticed in the strength of this year's app class?

Do you have any suggestions on how to figure out your specialty?

What is your specialty if you do not mind disclosing and what do you feel is the greatest challenge to it in the next 20-30 years? What about physicians in general?

As an interviewer, what is your preferred interview format, MMI or traditional and why?

Thanks again!

Hey hushcom,

Thanks for volunteering to do this. I'm pretty sure a lot of pre-meds (including myself) often feel that this process as pretty random and incoherent. If you would be so kind as to share, in as much detail as you're allowed, to discuss how interview invites/acceptances are conducted at your school it would be much appreciated (in regards to a 'point system' or discussions on a particular applicant, or anything else relevant!).
Thank you again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you and your colleagues feel about an applicant that has enrolled or completed an SMP at a D.O. school? Would it ever possibly hurt the applicant applying to M.D. schools, even if the applicant has done well in the SMP?

First of all let me say thanks for doing this. During your time as a member of the committee, what has been the number one thing that you saw potential medical students mess up either on their application or interview that caused them not to get a seat.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you decide on applicants post-interview?

What is your favorite drink while reviewing applications?

Reactions: 11 users
First of all let me say thanks for doing this. During your time as a member of the committee, what has been the number one thing that you saw potential medical students mess up either on their application or interview that caused them not to get a seat.

That is a difficult question to answer. The evaluation of each applicant is complex, and therefore the reasoning behind every decision is multifactorial. I have occasionally seen some instant app-killers, though, which most often relate to unsavory behavior on the interview day. Personally, my biggest turnoff is probably a failure to learn from past mistakes. Nobody has a perfect application, and the inability to see or care about one's shortcomings suggests a level of immaturity that I am not comfortable with.

Reactions: 15 users
How do you personally look at 1-2 week "mission trips" to foreign countries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello and thank you for doing this.

How strong of an uptick at all have you noticed in the strength of this year's app class?

Do you have any suggestions on how to figure out your specialty?

What is your specialty if you do not mind disclosing and what do you feel is the greatest challenge to it in the next 20-30 years? What about physicians in general?

As an interviewer, what is your preferred interview format, MMI or traditional and why?

Thanks again!

1. I have not noticed a change, but I am not involved in screening.
2. Keep an open mind, don't make any assumptions before you try them out via clerkship, and (above all) remember that your career is going to last a long time. Go with what you enjoy.
3. That's for another thread.
4. I have no experience with MMI, although it would not surprise me if it does a better job than traditional.

Reactions: 1 users
Does you med school accept international students? if it does, what would you deem essential for international students to have in order to be considered for an interview and an acceptance?

Thanks

How do you personally look at 1-2 week "mission trips" to foreign countries?

The first several I saw were impressive, in part because I never did anything like them. There was some novelty. After some time, consideration, and conversations with wiser committee members, I see most of them as dime-a-dozen application fluff, usually undertaken by privileged students at institutions with well-oiled premedical machines. But (there is always a but) I do think it is possible for someone to have a meaningful experience doing medical work in another country, so in the end you have to look at each one and weigh it on its merits. First impression is usually fluff, though.

Reactions: 21 users
Glenlivet, Glenfidditch, or Macallan, perchance?

Oban. The stuff in my cabinet is virtually impossible to find without a transatlantic flight.

Reactions: 13 users
What was the worst thing an interviewee has done, both in the interview and in his app?
What about best?

What quality is most important to you, such as altruism, sincerity, etc, when interviewing?

How you formulate an assessment.

In a way that is as unique as every applicant, I suppose. I generally write a draft assessment soon after the interview, including any details that I am likely to otherwise forget. Then I come back several days later and review the application and my draft again to see if my impression has evolved. That extra time usually brings some additional clarity, especially to cases that I find problematic for one reason or another.

The first several I saw were impressive, in part because I never did anything like them. There was some novelty. After some time, consideration, and conversations with wiser committee members, I see most of them as dime-a-dozen application fluff, usually undertaken by privileged students at institutions with well-oiled premedical machines. But (there is always a but) I do think it is possible for someone to have a meaningful experience doing medical work in another country, so in the end you have to look at each one and weigh it on its merits. First impression is usually fluff, though.
Thank you. Great answer. I am always interested to see if adcoms (outside of the well-informed group on SDN) actually know how the business of "mission trips" works.

Hushcom, thanks for info so far. My question relates to being on an alternate list. At this point, is there anything that an applicant could/should do in order to increase the chances of being accepted?

What was the worst thing an interviewee has done, both in the interview and in his app?
What about best?

Worst: put a personality disorder on display.
Best: I don't know, every so often someone just kills the interview, which is always a pleasure to see.

NuttyEngDude said:
What quality is most important to you, such as altruism, sincerity, etc, when interviewing?

There is no single quality, as best I can I take a measured look at the entire person.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hushcom, thanks for info so far. My question relates to being on an alternate list. At this point, is there anything that an applicant could/should do in order to increase the chances of being accepted?

Years ago I would have said a letter of interest was a waste of paper, but my tune has somewhat changed. I would write a brief but sincere letter to the school, and contact my interviewer(s) via email to express continued interest. The odds of it working are slim, but a polite and reserved gesture should not hurt, either.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm sorry, I misunderstood. How does the committee decide which applicants to accept? It seems like most people do reasonably well at the interview.

Thoughts on thank you letters after the interview? Email/handwritten/neither? Do most people send you one?

And thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge/insights here!

I'm starting to draft my personal statement, so I was just wondering:
1. How often is the personal statement a deciding factor?
2. Any advice in terms of what works/what does not work?
3. How many people focus on extracurricular activities and is it better to complete avoid mentioning activities?
Thanks!

Hey hushcom,

Thanks for volunteering to do this. I'm pretty sure a lot of pre-meds (including myself) often feel that this process as pretty random and incoherent. If you would be so kind as to share, in as much detail as you're allowed, to discuss how interview invites/acceptances are conducted at your school it would be much appreciated (in regards to a 'point system' or discussions on a particular applicant, or anything else relevant!).
Thank you again!

The overall process is not random. You can look at the AAMC data showing success versus GPA/MCAT and instantly see that it is not random. The process within a given school however, can be utterly capricious. That's why you apply to multiple schools, because between them the variance smooths out and allows stronger applicants to (generally) get admitted while weaker ones (generally) do not. It is obviously an imperfect process, but imperfection is the price of involving humans in something.

I cannot really go into the details of my committee's workings, but it would not add much to the general knowledge if I did.

Thoughts on thank you letters after the interview? Email/handwritten/neither? Do most people send you one?

And thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge/insights here!

I get my share, which I appreciate but they do not sway my opinion one way or the other.

Oban. The stuff in my cabinet is virtually impossible to find without a transatlantic flight.

Solid choice. I've only had the 14 once but I very much enjoyed it. What's the rarest you have?

I'm starting to draft my personal statement, so I was just wondering:
1. How often is the personal statement a deciding factor?
2. Any advice in terms of what works/what does not work?
3. How many people focus on extracurricular activities and is it better to complete avoid mentioning activities?
Thanks!

1. Some committee members feel they can commune with the personal statement and divine a lot of information. Others say they are so often written by someone other than the applicant as to be useless. A committee member at another school once told me that she does not read them at all. So it could either be meaningless, your salvation, or something in between. Satisfied?

I read them with the intent of uncovering any serious mental pathology. Once or twice a year I get one that is truly moving. The rest are essentially interchangeable.

2. Too vague to answer in a reasonable fashion, and the answer would be too specific to me.

3. Not sure I understand this one.

Does you med school accept international students? if it does, what would you deem essential for international students to have in order to be considered for an interview and an acceptance?

Thanks

We do not. A green card and you are good to go, but short of that forget it. Sorry.

1. Some committee members feel they can commune with the personal statement and divine a lot of information. Others say they are so often written by someone other than the applicant as to be useless. A committee member at another school once told me that she does not read them at all. So it could either be meaningless, your salvation, or something in between. Satisfied?

I read them with the intent of uncovering any serious mental pathology. Once or twice a year I get one that is truly moving. The rest are essentially interchangeable.

2. Too vague to answer in a reasonable fashion, and the answer would be too specific to me.

3. Not sure I understand this one.

....LIKE?!

I'm seriously very curious. What kind of mental pathology can you learn from a personal statement? Are you talking about people writing something along the lines of 'my grades are bad because ADD/depression'... or are you saying you can figure out some true psychopaths?

Reactions: 9 users
What amount of extracurricular activities is sufficient to be accepted into medical school?
How important is doing research for getting into medical school?

Thanks!

Hey, doctor. Thanks for taking the time to address our questions!

What's your opinion, if any, on the early decision program?
When y'all look at "leadership", are positions with titles what you like to see, or can someone label an activity as being involved in leadership even if they have no official title?
It's an old one, but: Is cGPA a better overall indicator of med school success than sGPA?
If someone has no hospital experience but has worked in a small clinic for several years, are they at a disadvantage?
Would you find being a classically trained musician to be a good plus for an applicant? <-- Maybe I have that going for me!

I'll think of some more, later, assuming you will still be willing to answer by then. I don't want to swamp you. Thanks, again, @hushcom

Last edited by a moderator:
....LIKE?!

I'm seriously very curious. What kind of mental pathology can you learn from a personal statement? Are you talking about people writing something along the lines of 'my grades are bad because ADD/depression'... or are you saying you can figure out some true psychopaths?

I was being a little facetious, but sometimes people do put bizarre things in their personal statements.

Thanks for your previous answer!

You said "Some recent threads in the pre-allo forum have compelled me to start this one"
Are there any big misconceptions about the admissions process you see circulating around the pre-allo board? You touched on the non-randomness earlier--any other main ones?

@hushcom, how effective is an upward trend for students who had 'rough starts' academically? And is, let's say a 3.7-4.0 GPA in the last 3+ yrs of schooling enough to make up for a poor start that may have taken place 5-7 years ago?

When looking at an applicant, how would you rate these three in order of importance: cumulative gpa, science gpa, MCAT?

Given that med schools typically offer acceptances to about 30-50% of interviewees, and given that a majority of interviewees do reasonably well on interviews (is this a false assumption?), how does the admissions committee decide whom to ultimately accept, if interview performance is insufficiently determinant?

To what extent does an applicant's familial connections strengthen his or her application?

1- Do you look at an applicant's other acceptances in your decision process? (i.e. if they are accepted to a "better" school, are you less inclined to accept them?)
2-Is admissions school specific? Does your school have a higher acceptance rate/interview rate for certain schools?

I was being a little facetious, but sometimes people do put bizarre things in their personal statements.

Most bizarre thing you can remember in someone's personal statement?

I am a practicing physician who serves on the admissions committee of an allopathic medical school in the United States. I am also not new to SDN, having seen the cast of characters evolve here over a number of years. Some recent threads in the pre-allo forum have compelled me to start this one. While I am not a longstanding and venerated member of the committee, perhaps someone will find my two cents useful and/or interesting.

So please, have at it.

Hi! So unique q about my app. It seems that my statistics are such that I am in limbo (not reject but not the best candidate) at top (1-10 ranked) schools but also being considered as "will not realistically go here" at mid and low tier schools. This has been very frustrating for me this cycle, as schools have reached out to me (one sent a personalized rejection letter stating that I was a great applicant but it was important for them to interview and accept students who would seriously attend). I am wondering if you have any insight on this-if top schools put me in limbo and mid-low (purely based on ranking) put me in "will not go here let's not waste an interview on this person" pile, how the heck am I supposed to get in anywhere! I already contacted schools saying I would love to attend but they just don't believe me!!!

Last edited:
Have you ever given negative feedback about an applicant because their opinions (political, religious, etc.) differed from your own?

What amount of extracurricular activities is sufficient to be accepted into medical school?
How important is doing research for getting into medical school?

Thanks!

1. Depends on your schedule and other commitments. An applicant who is working his/her way through school while taking a full load in a rigorous major will obviously have less free time. I generally like to see people who have made sustained contributions to their ECs over longer periods of time, even if the average hours/week is not very large. The applicant who does 20 ECs at 10 hours each is less appealing.

2. Depends on the school. I consider it a bonus but not essential. At some top tier institutions it is probably almost necessary to survive the screen.