Another chances thread from Fl (long)...should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GhostInTheShell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all...long time lurker, first time poster! So here is my story

To be honest I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life until only couple of months ago I found podiatry :love: BUT here are the bad news :(

I have changed majors >computer science > computer engineering. I pick these majors because I wanted to work with my hands. But the deeper I look into those majors the more I realized that I didn't want to be part of it. I also have no bachelors degree (only AA), but I have more than 118 credits and I only need orgo 2 to complete the requirements.

Here is the really bad part....I'm good at chemistry/bio/physio/math/etc, but I seriously suck at physics. Due to engineering being mostly phsyics/math, my gpa overall is very low (2.5 :( ) in university, if you average it out with college and uni course is like a 3.0), but my science gpa is 3.5 :) . I also don't feel like finsihing a bachelors because I found podiatry, and finishing a bachelors will most likely take another 1.5 years or so and it will be a waste of time when I could have gain experience in the field.

So my question is should...if I do apply what will be my chances of getting in? How should I approach this and essay? My number 1 choice is Barry :love: since I live in Miami, but any other will be good as well. I also haven't taken the mcat but i'm planning to take it this april.

Thanks in advance!:)

EDIT: Also I'm scare of applying due to my low overall gpa :(

Members don't see this ad.

As a biomedical engineering grad, I know how difficult engineering courses are. No offense to bio, but EMAG, Signals and Systems, and Eng. Math are FAR more difficult than the undergrad science courses. What I would recommend is that you absolutely KILL the MCAT. A score over 30 would allow you your pick of schools (although scholarship money would probably be unavailable). Good shadowing is also extremely important; if you do decide to not get a bachelor's and you find Podiatry isn't for you, you'll be in debt a lot of money and only hold an Associate's degree. If you're planning on applying this year, you NEED to kill the mcat. If this is for next year's cycle, I would recommend you take as MANY upper division science courses as you can. From what I can tell, your basic sciences are strong (not THAT challenging) and you've struggled in upper division engineering courses. If you rack up a solid GPA from 3000 level courses, the committees will know that you can handle the science work that comes with Podiatry school. Anyways, just my 2 cents... I could be completely wrong :confused:

Yeah I need to get a really high score in the mcat to be consider :( Should I talk about this on the essay or is it better to let it be?

Ok so i went to the aacpmas page and found a link on how they calculate the gpa.

With this in mind...I calulate my overall gpa as follow

3.67 = 33/9 >> 4.0 = 60/15 >> 4 = 27/8 >> 3.56 = 57/16 >> 2.73 = 30/11 >> 2.875 = 23/8 >> 3.75 = 60/16 >> 3.21 = 45/14 >> 2.18 = 24/11 :scared: >> 4.0 = 56/14 (this semester if everything go as plan)

So by this I calculated that my gpa is 3.4....but they might probably ask of the bad semesters right? :(