Another Chances....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireHydrants

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year of college and i feel as though i slacked off quite a bit and my gpa is a lousy 3.1. not to mention my math/science gpa is a 2.5. i actually can't wait for school to start again because i feel so driven to improve my grades and i'm planning on taking a lot more math/science courses to boost my math/science gpa - i just feel kind of doomed because i was a hard worker in high school and this to me is like failing.

it's true that colleges notice an upward trend in grades, right? are my chances for going into med school already blown? and what are the average gpas that make it into a decent med school (not necessarily top 10 or anything) just a normal medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

FireHydrants said:
I just finished my freshman year of high school and i feel as though i slacked off quite a bit and my gpa is a lousy 3.1. not to mention my math/science gpa is a 2.5. i actually can't wait for school to start again because i feel so driven to improve my grades and i'm planning on taking a lot more math/science courses to boost my math/science gpa - i just feel kind of doomed because i was a hard worker in high school and this to me is like failing.

it's true that colleges notice an upward trend in grades, right? are my chances for going into med school already blown? and what are the average gpas that make it into a decent med school (not necessarily top 10 or anything) just a normal medical school?

If you can improve over the next three years, you're still fine. Average GPA for med school is somewhere around a 3.5, but that's the average so some get in with a bit lower, others higher. But people often find that the same study methods that worked in high school don't work in college, so you probably need to shake up things. Frankly, since you are struggling with math/science, my inclination would be to lower (not raise) your load of such courses, take fewer at a time, and take them at a pace you can handle, until you pull a semester of stellar grades. Only then should you step it up a notch. Your BCPM will inch up slowly under this method, but at least it will be going in the right direction. The worst thing you can do is take a ton of hard science classes at once and get a C in all of them. That creates a pretty deep hole to try and climb out of.

FireHydrants said:
I just finished my freshman year of high school and i feel as though i slacked off quite a bit and my gpa is a lousy 3.1. not to mention my math/science gpa is a 2.5. i actually can't wait for school to start again because i feel so driven to improve my grades and i'm planning on taking a lot more math/science courses to boost my math/science gpa - i just feel kind of doomed because i was a hard worker in high school and this to me is like failing.

Errr, did say high school?

As far as I know, med school won't see your HS grades.

I applaud you for wanting to get good grades in HS. Nothing wrong with that.

My advice, learn balance.

There is nothing wrong with studying hard and taking advanced science, but the most successful people are those who learn the value of work and play.

:luck:

dislaimer: If you are a troll ignore my advice and go lie on a train track. :smuggrin:

---------------------------

edit: I re-read your post and figured you just made an error when you said High school in the first line. In that case, learn balance, and what Law2Doc said!

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on where you go and how much motivation you got to pull up those grades. i think everyone is motivated to pull up their grades or do well on this forum. you just need to actually do it.

anyways your options arent screwd. just a bit behing in my opinion. also dont take more math and sciences. how about first taking one and then seeing how you do before throwing yourself in the gauntlet? :) sciences are no walk in the park.

sunnyjohn said:
Errr, did say high school?

dislaimer: If you are a troll ignore my advice and go lie on a train track. :smuggrin:

Agreed with the above quoted.

If you are a freshmen in highschool you don't need to worry about this stupid stuff. Just worry about getting into college first. Med school admissions is based on what you do in college NOT HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

gujuDoc said:
Agreed with the above quoted.

If you are a freshmen in highschool you don't need to worry about this stupid stuff. Just worry about getting into college first. Med school admissions is based on what you do in college NOT HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

haha no no, i mean i'm a freshman in college not high school. :laugh: sorry my mistake...lol.

FireHydrants said:

r u in hs or college? the first line says your done with freshmen year of HS, and then you say you were a hard worker in hs? does that mean you graduated?

Regardless, if your in college, and your done with freshmen year, dont worry. Do well in your up comming sophmore classes, it was freshmen year, poeple tend to not do so well. But you still have two solid years before you apply. A 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat will be good, but dont sweat it. There are many things to the acceptance than just grades.

FireHydrants said:
haha no no, i mean i'm a freshman in college not high school. :laugh: sorry my mistake...lol.

Oh then I APOLOGIZE for calling you a troll.

Wow we are all soooooooooooo confused on this post.

But that said...............

Now that we have cleared up the symantics, I've had quite a few friends who started with a rough freshmen year and were able to pull their GPA up. Upper trends in GPA are highly looked at as long as you can explain where your difficulties were and what you did to improve upon them. So focus your energy on increasing it.

Oh and do well on the MCAT.

jon stewart said:
r u in hs or college? the first line says your done with freshmen year of HS, and then you say you were a hard worker in hs? does that mean you graduated?

Regardless, if your in college, and your done with freshmen year, dont worry. Do well in your up comming sophmore classes, it was freshmen year, poeple tend to not do so well. But you still have two solid years before you apply. A 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat will be good, but dont sweat it. There are many things to the acceptance than just grades.

He made a mistake when typing and said highschool accidentally. He's in COLLEGE.

I re-read your post and figured you just made an error when you said High school in the first line. In that case, learn balance, and what Law2Doc said!

:love:

Kiss and make up???

Remember as you go back into classes, everyone wants to bring up their grades when they see crappy numbers like that, but not many people actually go forth with it.