Another diversity statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llmmii

Reaction score
I've been reading through some past threads for advice on writing the diversity statement since I'm struggling with it. The advice I've curated boils down to diversity doesn't necessarily mean talking about ethnicity or race for example. It can also focus on what unique qualities or experiences you have to offer.

That being said, something I've considered talking about is attending a Christian high school despite being of a different faith. I wasn't sure if religion is a frowned upon topic in essays or if talking about this type of experience, in general, would be frowned upon. If I followed this path, I would be focusing on what I learned about by being exposed to different religions. I wouldn't want to focus on the differences between the religions.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that sounds interesting if you stay clear of religion and maybe focus on the overall culture (?) aspect of it. On the other hand, not sure if this will be any better than a typical essay talking about helping out at an inner-city food pantry and the culture/lifestyle differences brought to light by it. Also, Christian high school reads like cozy upper middle class to me... but that might just be me.

I think that sounds interesting if you stay clear of religion and maybe focus on the overall culture (?) aspect of it. On the other hand, not sure if this will be any better than a typical essay talking about helping out at an inner-city food pantry and the culture/lifestyle differences brought to light by it. Also, Christian high school reads like cozy upper middle class to me... but that might just be me.

The "cozy upper middle class" part is definitely also something that concerned me. The flip side of mentioning an experience like that is that it does suggest a privileged upbringing.

I think it has the potential to be a great essay. I wouldn't worry about the fear of going to a Christian high school becoming synonymous with privilege. You could either avoid that aspect of the school or even lean into it, stating you realized you came to this school due to privilege but this only exacerbated a feeling of not being grateful for the opportunity when you didn't quite fit in.

In addition, I think that it could be really inspiring to the reader to see what spirituality means to you and how it has helped you maintain balance and keep an open-mind. If you have any experience with different denominations while volunteering or shadowing you could even touch on some of the issues facing medicine in regards to faith. Some Jehovah's witnesses for example do not accept blood products due to their religion.

Reactions: 1 user