Another "Help me decide" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wowza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to be adding another one of these threads to this forum, but I really need some help in deciding between UCSD and UCLA. I am incredibly happy to have been accepted to both, but want to make sure that I make a well informed decision. I loved the people at UCSD and how transparent they made their admissions process. La Jolla is also very beautiful and students there were some of the nicest I have ever met. Patient population, however, seemed to be largely comprised of low-income Hispanic speaking communities or geared towards someone interested in geriatrics. UCLA, on the other hand, appears to be in a more urban environment with a very diverse patient population. It is also ranked higher for both primary care and research so perhaps more prestige? But I was kind of put off by what their interview day was like and didn't get a chance to meet a lot of the students because of the way my interviews were scheduled. I really loved both schools and couldn't be more honored to have been accepted, but need some help since I can only attend one in the end. I think I'd be happy at either, but want to make the best decision I can. Anyone else in this same predicament or have had to decide between the two? What did you guys end up doing? I know others would kill to be in my shoes right now, I was like that too only a few short months ago myself, but please help out first. I've been a long time reader (though first time poster) and have always loved the advice everyone has given to others. It would be awesome if you guys could help me on this one! Thanks in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to be adding another one of these threads to this forum, but I really need some help in deciding between UCSD and UCLA. I am incredibly happy to have been accepted to both, but want to make sure that I make a well informed decision. I loved the people at UCSD and how transparent they made their admissions process. La Jolla is also very beautiful and students there were some of the nicest I have ever met. Patient population, however, seemed to be largely comprised of low-income Hispanic speaking communities or geared towards someone interested in geriatrics. UCLA, on the other hand, appears to be in a more urban environment with a very diverse patient population. It is also ranked higher for both primary care and research so perhaps more prestige? But I was kind of put off by what their interview day was like and didn't get a chance to meet a lot of the students because of the way my interviews were scheduled. I really loved both schools and couldn't be more honored to have been accepted, but need some help since I can only attend one in the end. I think I'd be happy at either, but want to make the best decision I can. Anyone else in this same predicament or have had to decide between the two? What did you guys end up doing? I know others would kill to be in my shoes right now, I was like that too only a few short months ago myself, but please help out first. I've been a long time reader (though first time poster) and have always loved the advice everyone has given to others. It would be awesome if you guys could help me on this one! Thanks in advance! :D

which is cheaper?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSD for not much reason other than I would rather go there than UCLA.

Why do people keep making these school choice threads in Pre-Allo and not in School Specific?

UCSD for not much reason other than I would rather go there than UCLA.

Why do people keep making these school choice threads in Pre-Allo and not in School Specific?

I didn't know it was supposed to go there...I always see them here so just thought I'd follow the crowd :D Is there a way I can move it now?

And why UCSD over UCLA? Did you just like the area better? Oh and thanks for the rapid responses thus far. You guys are great! :D

Not sure...I think total for UCLA was like $54,000ish/year..probably about the same for UCSD?

damn. are you OOS? and is that tuition + living expensives + etc? tuition alone cant possibly be 54k, can it?

damn. are you OOS? and is that tuition + living expensives + etc? tuition alone cant possibly be 54k, can it?

Ahahahaha no! Thankfully I am in-state so that 54K is including everything I believe...or at least hope...

I didn't know it was supposed to go there...I always see them here so just thought I'd follow the crowd :D Is there a way I can move it now?

And why UCSD over UCLA? Did you just like the area better? Oh and thanks for the rapid responses thus far. You guys are great! :D

Oh, I wouldn't take my opinion - I've never even been to California. :laugh:

I could just see myself in San Diego way more than I could see myself in LA. I would jump at the chance for either, though.

Good luck, I will now stop with my worthless opinions. :luck:

I'd attend second look then decide.

I'd say UCLA is the stronger school overall, but UCSD wins in terms of city. San Diego is so beautiful. I'd probably choose UCLA though, because I'd want to be at the relatively stronger program and there isn't grading at UCLA.

I'd say UCLA is the stronger school overall, but UCSD wins in terms of city. San Diego is so beautiful. I'd probably choose UCLA though, because I'd want to be at the relatively stronger program and there isn't grading at UCLA.

What's your definition of "stronger"?

I'd attend second look then decide.

:thumbup: I totally agree with this. I think you'd be doing yourself a disfavor if you tried to decide before going to second look. It seems you mentioned that you were put off by UCLA's interview day, but I heard that they are really good about second look. I would wait until then before making any concrete decisions. But no matter what, they are both great schools so congrats as I also don't think you could really go wrong no matter which one you choose! :D

Hmmm...I am also interested in what you meant by "stronger". Is this based off of rankings or other considerations?

:thumbup: I totally agree with this. I think you'd be doing yourself a disfavor if you tried to decide before going to second look. It seems you mentioned that you were put off by UCLA's interview day, but I heard that they are really good about second look. I would wait until then before making any concrete decisions. But no matter what, they are both great schools so congrats as I also don't think you could really go wrong no matter which one you choose! :D

UCLA runs their interview day like HMS. Basically, they imply to you "we're an elite school and we don't care if you come here or not." lol, just look at how UCLA schedules its interviews.

I'd pick UCLA. My friend goes to UCSD and hates it, but is basically there only for the weather.

Hmmm...I am also interested in what you meant by "stronger". Is this based off of rankings or other considerations?

UCLA matches better, has better research opportunities and has been doing a true P/F curriculum for far longer than UCSD (just starting). Also, the medical facilities at UCLA are probably the best on the entire west coast. RR med center is also incredible and beautiful. Just my opinion though.

do UCLA, trust me. Quality of life is MUCH better here from what I hear about UCSD. And forget about interview day. You only get a very limited picture of what a school is like from interview day. And don't be influenced by little matter-of-chance events like meeting someone that you like on interview day. That stuff doesn't matter worth squat. Each school will have people that you identify with and those that you don't, and the students that you meet on interview day are a very small collection of the overall population. Here are the things that matter in picking a school in no particular order of relevance

- Overall enjoyment of the area
- Proximity to family
- Cost
- Where you want to end up (like 80 percent of our 4th years stay in california)
- Curriculum (not pass/fail BS, but how many hours you actually spend in class)
- Other things that I'm not thinking of right now

Things that don't matter
-prestige, ranking, blah blah blah

Don't be fooled by our poor interview day- UCLA is an absolutely fantastic school in nearly all respects. I can't think of any classmates who would dispute this. I'll be hanging out with you guys at second look, so feel free to message me/talk to me there. Peace!

do UCLA, trust me. Quality of life is MUCH better here from what I hear about UCSD. And forget about interview day. You only get a very limited picture of what a school is like from interview day. And don't be influenced by little matter-of-chance events like meeting someone that you like on interview day. That stuff doesn't matter worth squat. Each school will have people that you identify with and those that you don't, and the students that you meet on interview day are a very small collection of the overall population. Here are the things that matter in picking a school in no particular order of relevance

- Overall enjoyment of the area
- Proximity to family
- Cost
- Where you want to end up (like 80 percent of our 4th years stay in california)
- Curriculum (not pass/fail BS, but how many hours you actually spend in class)
- Other things that I'm not thinking of right now

Things that don't matter
-prestige, ranking, blah blah blah

Don't be fooled by our poor interview day- UCLA is an absolutely fantastic school in nearly all respects. I can't think of any classmates who would dispute this. I'll be hanging out with you guys at second look, so feel free to message me/talk to me there. Peace!

Veaselhaufen, can you tell me more about the girls at UCLA?

Status
Not open for further replies.