Another Hit Piece by Yglesias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxxor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does he write about things he doesn't know anything about? I can't believe I just wasted time reading that.

Reactions: 4 users
Yglesias is an idiot. If it was just some get rich quick scheme, you'd see dentists all over the place taking medicaid patients. My dad (a dentist) has always said that they're more unified as a profession than physicians when it comes to these BS attacks from midlevels, big government liberals, etc. At some point, we'll need to fight for our profession, hopefully before it's too late. I still get ticked when I see students I go to school with talking about how great AMSA is, etc... No amount of free stuff could get me to join that crackpot organization.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What a load of tripe.

I still cannot fathom that there are MDs out there that think NPs can deliver the same quality of care, 1 for 1. I still cannot believe NPs think they're just as good. Go to medical school- see if your ass isn't handed to you.

I'm sure every fool reading this garbage must think the prestigious Institute of Medicine speaks for all MD-kind.

"it could be a huge windfall for doctors that increases wait times for everyone else — unless, that it, we switch some of the bad laws doctors have used to rig the system in a way that lines their pockets at the expense of patients."

2 questions.

1. what does "that it" mean in this sentence? I'm not familiar with this expression.
2. bad laws doctors have used to rig the system in a way that lines their pockets at the expense of patients - ouch. I'm not sure I understand the technique...could someone explain this step by step?

"it could be a huge windfall for doctors that increases wait times for everyone else — unless, that it, we switch some of the bad laws doctors have used to rig the system in a way that lines their pockets at the expense of patients."

2 questions.

1. what does "that it" mean in this sentence? I'm not familiar with this expression.
2. bad laws doctors have used to rig the system in a way that lines their pockets at the expense of patients - ouch. I'm not sure I understand the technique...could someone explain this step by step?

1. "it" = "is"
2. You're on your own on that one. Inflammatory buzzspeak. No substance, but sure does sound like it could mean something to the uninitiated.

1. Typo. It probably should be that is

2. His entire thesis is that scope of practice laws are anti-patient and serve to enrich us. Never mind that the regulations served to ensure quality standards.

Reactions: 1 users
So, this writer is just blogging? Has no one editing his work or even proofreading - and we're taking him seriously?

Does anyone read that crap? I know roughly 200 people, none of them know what "Vox" is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I dont know why, but "i know roughly 200 people" is the funniest thing I have read on sdn in a long time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not surprised. This guy is known for pumping out MULTIPLE "articles" every day that are frankly some of the most embarrassingly researched pieces I've ever read. His modus operandi is to let some crazy angle pop up into his head then just start typing up whatever bull he can to support it, as fast as possible.

The sad part is, these days "writers" and "bloggers" don't have to worry about actually being close to correct or anything. All that matters is the # of clicks that their word salads get, and we all click on it to see what kind of bat**** crazy they came up with up today.

The joke is on us.

Not surprised. This guy is known for pumping out MULTIPLE "articles" every day that are frankly some of the most embarrassingly researched pieces I've ever read. His modus operandi is to let some crazy angle pop up into his head then just start typing up whatever bull he can to support it, as fast as possible.

The sad part is, these days "writers" and "bloggers" don't have to worry about actually being close to correct or anything. All that matters is the # of clicks that their word salads get, and we all click on it to see what kind of bat**** crazy they came up with up today.

The joke is on us.

This is what I figured. Delete this thread, no more clicks for him.

I still get ticked when I see students I go to school with talking about how great AMSA is
5ce12.jpg

2 questions.

1- he meant "that is"

2- This one is simple, just like the ads on the side of many webpages, "insurance companies hate this little known loophole in the law that will reduce your premium by 80%" . Yglesias must know a secret loophole in the law that allow doctors and dentist to double earnings at twice the speed.....see anastomoses?....simple

Apparently, Ezra Klein of the Washington Post created Vox.com. Small world.

Matthew_Yglesias.jpg

Harvard - degree in philosophy.

"started blogging in early 2002, while still in college, focusing mainly on American politics and public policy issues, often approached from an abstract, philosophical perspective. He was one of the supporters of the Iraq war."

I don't read blogs, but is it against the code of conduct to proofread, Mr. Yglesias?

So, this writer is just blogging? Has no one editing his work or even proofreading - and we're taking him seriously?
None of us take him seriously. He is taken seriously by Democratic lawmakers and Obama.

Reactions: 2 users
Why does he write about things he doesn't know anything about? I can't believe I just wasted time reading that.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox...efends_the_doctors_cartel.html?wpisrc=sl_ipad

One thing you might think would be an opportunity for left-right synergy on health care policy would be the idea of opening up the basic elements of medical practice to people other than highly paid doctors. Medicine isn't interior decorating and the case for some occupational licensing is pretty clear. Still, doctors are very scarce, very highly trained, and very expensive so it seems clear that there's money to be saved by letting nurses and physicians' assistants and other lower-paid personnel take on a larger share of the market for health care services. At the margin, rules preserving certain lines of business as the exclusive purview of MDs is just one of the ways that rich people use the government to pad their own incomes.

Tom Coburn, a staunch conservative and a medical doctor is someone I might have looked to for leadership on this topic. Unfortunately, it looks like he's a friend of the doctors' cartel first and a free marketer second:

Ezra Klein: You talk about needing more primary care, one possible option would be deregulating the licensing structure, letting nurse practitioners do more, letting Minute Clinics take a larger role, but that’s not something you hear from the left or the right.

Tom Coburn: I think scope of practice and licensing is a state issue. The federal government, if you read the Constitution, has no role in that. But you never see the downside of less than well trained physicians in the care. It sounds really neat that I can use a nurse practitioner, but I don’t think nurse practitioners or physician’s assistants should practice alone without a physicians. No one ever studies the long-term consequences. Can you, with two years of training as a PA, compete with somebody with eight years of medical training?

It seems to me that's the question can you with two years of training as a PA compete with somebody with eight years of medical training? We'll never know if it's illegal. But I think common sense is that, yes, there is a segment of the health care services market that can be adequately served by nurse practitioners or phyisicians' assistants practicing alone. I would note the important point here that Coburn doesn't deny that there are patients who can be competently treated by non-doctors. What he denies is that non-doctors should be legally allowed to treat those patients without a full-fledged MD getting a cut of the profits.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Neurospeed is right, joke is on us. The public doesn't look into vox or whatever, they read something and assume it's the fact. And the AANP is cashing in big by painting this picture (or propagating a long standing bias). What does Joe Blow know about scientific studies? Outcomes based medicine? What life as a PCP is really like? That a Doctor in one's name does not make one a Medical Doctor?

They know what they are told. Story of mankind.

Neurospeed is right, joke is on us. The public doesn't look into vox or whatever, they read something and assume it's the fact. And the AANP is cashing in big by painting this picture (or propagating a long standing bias). What does Joe Blow know about scientific studies? Outcomes based medicine? What life as a PCP is really like? That a Doctor in one's name does not make one a Medical Doctor?

They know what they are told. Story of mankind.
Yup, and they keep repeating the phrase that NPs and Physicians have the same (if not better) outcomes till they're blue in the face to where every fool keeps repeating it, including Yglesias, a Harvard grad all in the name of cost containment. What he fails to mention (or most likely doesn't know) is that NPs are fighting for EQUAL reimbursement with physicians, thus evaporating any savings.

Has the AANP come out with that officially?

I am pretty impressed that he has a wikipedia page.

Usually they are good about deleting self-promotion spam. I have a hard time believing anyone would sit down and put together a legit wiki page about him -- other than himself, "that it".

I can't even believe this guy has traction. We're taught reference and fact-check everything that we write. This guy's argument isn't based in real life. He doesn't offer the perspective of a clinician, which I think is necessary. Everyone references the study that suggests that nurse practitioners have greater satisfaction. So what? I think that it is irresponsible to take interpret satisfaction (a subjective measure) for clinical competency. In fact, I will suggest that they are mutually exclusive.

And this is why good public education is a prerequisite for any organized society. But no, bring on the Common Core math curriculum. Let's dumb everyone down just a little more.

Just because a NP has a nice beside manner doesn't mean she/he has the clinical skills to manage patients autonomously. I also think it is irresponsible to suggest that there are a subset of patients that NPs can treat by themselves "NPs do 85% of what doctors do". In theory for the average outpatient primary care provider this may be true if every patient was static and had a 85 or 15 stamped on them. However, NPs don't have the diagnostic acumen to differentiate the 85% from the 15% and manage a patient if they move from the 85% to the 15%. Lastly, I think it's irresponsible to market "Minute Clinics" and related "stop-gap" care as a panacea to the primary care physician shortage. We need more physicians plain and simple. Each meeting with a health care provider should be high value.

Listen, people in general are not aware of the differences in seeing a "Minute Clinic" NP and a physician. I think "stop-gap" care will only increase medical costs because large portion of patients may still need to see a physician anyway! You're working two jobs, have two kids. You want to get an appointment. You need a physician. You can only get a minute clinic appointment... That's not ideal. NPs are doing a great job taking care of patients in rural and urban areas where physicians don't want to go. But that's not ideal. The ideal is for everyone to have access to a physician. The ideal should be empowering physicians to provide better primary care.

They're two logics:

Poor: Physicians have low satisfaction. Physicians are leaving primary care. Let's use NPs

Good: Physicians have low satisfaction. Physicians are leaving primary care. Let's empower physicians to be better.

The expansion of NPs will lead to a tiered health system which will hurt who? You guessed it! The rural and urban poor.

Last edited:
I can't even believe this guy has traction. We're taught reference and fact-check everything that we write. This guy's argument isn't based in real life. He doesn't offer the perspective of a clinician, which I think is necessary. Everyone references the study that suggests that nurse practitioners have greater satisfaction. So what? I think that it is irresponsible to take interpret satisfaction (a subjective measure) for clinical competency. In fact, I will suggest that they are mutually exclusive.
Apparently higher patient satisfaction is associated with higher patient mortality (http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1108766 among others), but then again I find my dead patients complain less than the ones that are still alive.

Once again want to throw out an invitation to anyone interested in discussing this issue to please PM me. There's a group of about 30-40 of us in a private Facebook group discussing this issue and forming a group to serve as a well-researched counterweight to the claims made in articles like this and the AANP. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the link to the Facebook discussion group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew_Yglesias.jpg

Harvard - degree in philosophy.

"started blogging in early 2002, while still in college, focusing mainly on American politics and public policy issues, often approached from an abstract, philosophical perspective. He was one of the supporters of the Iraq war."

I don't read blogs, but is it against the code of conduct to proofread, Mr. Yglesias?

I like when he uses facts in an abstract and philosophical way.

But he went to the The Dalton private school and Harvard, isn't that enough?

@DermViser In all seriousness, he's not a good writer. He must have really good connections. We need to start writing ourselves.

Once again want to throw out an invitation to anyone interested in discussing this issue to please PM me. There's a group of about 30-40 of us in a private Facebook group discussing this issue and forming a group to serve as a well-researched counterweight to the claims made in articles like this and the AANP. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the link to the Facebook discussion group.
Did last week. Check your inbox.
@DermViser In all seriousness, he's not a good writer. He must have really good connections. We need to start writing ourselves.
In all seriousness, just flooding the net with articles arguing the position would probably be the best way to go. As long as your sources don't have some easy target like being too old that the average schmuck will understand, it's fine. Most people won't understand methodological shortcomings or statistical power. Hell, write a few, then start referencing previous opinion pieces as sources. I've seen worse. Remember, in a democracy, winning is purely a matter of numbers. Doesn't matter if the reasoning is good.

Did last week. Check your inbox.

In all seriousness, just flooding the net with articles arguing the position would probably be the best way to go. As long as your sources don't have some easy target like being too old that the average schmuck will understand, it's fine. Most people won't understand methodological shortcomings or statistical power. Hell, write a few, then start referencing previous opinion pieces as sources. I've seen worse. Remember, in a democracy, winning is purely a matter of numbers. Doesn't matter if the reasoning is good.

Oops, my bad. Not sure how I missed you. Watch out for a message today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I puked in my mouth a few times with the smarmy implied "scam" being perpetrated intentionally by physicians on the poor, which simply doesn't happen, he is correct though that physicians can expand what we do if we allow for the use of mid-levels. And it's probably in many ways better to let them work on their own. Why? You get to take on a piece of THEIR liability if you have to sign off on everything they do, and checking their work will only lead to more busy-make-work for physicians and we have enough the way it is. Let the mid-levels sink or swim on their own if they want. Truth is most will still work for and under a physician, especially in the sub-specialty world where they can see all your lab medication follow ups, freeing the physician to deal with more thought and complex issues as well as new patient consults. If they have a question, they can run it by you, but otherwise their decisions are THEIR decisions.