Another "How to Manage" Scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Altruist

Hoodledooer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This one isn't as interesting or puzzling as Paseo's, but hopefully this will encourage more folks to post scenarios. Please forgive any inaccuracies, it's been 7 months since I was on the streets and I'm sure my memory of this call isn't perfect.

You and your partner are dispatched to a small, rural hospital for a cardiac arrest. The hospital is 45 minutes away by ground. (Due to weather, flights are grounded.) "No sweat," you figure. "They'll cancel us before we get there by ground." Your partner, a newly minted EMT-P, drives closer and closer, and no word from dispatch. You pull up to the hospital, swearing quietly to yourself as you radio in your arrival time. "I wonder what is going on here?" you think, as you put your gear on the cart to go inside.

You're waved (enthusiastically) into a hospital room near the small hospital's emergency room. You find a 52 year-old, obese woman being ventilated by BVM. A sinus rhythm shows on the monitor with a rate of 110. O2 sat is reading 99%. A 22 g. IV is present in the right hand with NS running in by pump at 150 mL/hr.

The nurses tell you the patient is an alcoholic well-known to them, and had asked to be admitted for detox. She was transferred to a hospital room in preparation for longer-term care at a treatment facility. An IV had been started, and 2 mg Lorazapam IV had been given.

From here, the story gets sketchy. Your best guess is that the patient had retched (nurses say she did not vomit) and gone unresponsive. The nurses say the patient had no pulse, and they began chest compressions on the hospital bed. They relate the monitor showed asystole at this point, though in the hustle, no one had thought to print out a strip. After ~5 minutes of CPR, (no meds given) the patient had regained a strong pulse with a sinus rhythm but remained unresponsive. The EMT relates the patient was apneic initially, but eventually she began spontaneous respirations 5 minutes before your arrival.

The local FP physician relates he had not attempted airway control because of the patient's excellent oxygen saturation and his admitted lack of experience managing airways.

Your initial assessment:
GI= ~90 kg woman in respiratory failure
MS= unresponsive to sternal rub and clavicle pinch. No corneal brush reflex.
Airway= Oral airway in place. Good chest rise with BVM ventilation.
Breathing= ~4-6 spontaneous respirations per minute, assisted and augmented to a rate of 12 by BVM with 100% oxygen. Good chest rise.
Circulation= skin cool and clammy. Radial pulse strong and regular, matching sinus rhythm on monitor. Nail beds pale. O2 sat 98-99%. BP - 106/55 by machine.

The emergency physician at the main hospital where you are based (45 minutes away) has accepted the patient. What do you do from here?

Members don't see this ad.

So, we have good chest rise and fall with good saturations. Does what we see on the monitor and pulse oximeter pleth correlate with what we palpate? Make sure we are effectively oxygenating and ventilating, and the patient actually has a pulse. Edit: I assume all of these match up based on the monitor = pulse comment.

Then, once we are sure the airway and circulatory status is present and accounted for, let's attempt to gather additional history:

Any allergies?
Does she take any medications?
Any other meds on board, doses, and times last given?
Any medical or surgical history?
Any history on what she was doing prior to admit?

In addition, do we a have a current blood sugar?

We can also look at having a runner fetch her medical records and do we have any radiology and laboratory diagnostics available to include ABG's and XII lead? Since we have a doc present, what are his thoughts and or suggestions regarding management and diagnosis?

While this is going on, do a head to toe exam, (HEENT, Cx, CV, Abd, Neuro, and so on...) Lets do a good airway assessment and LEMON exam as well.

Thanks for another scenario!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I stop working in rural EMS and get back to the city. Im a paramedic not a magician.

Any allergies?
Does she take any medications?
Any other meds on board, doses, and times last given?
Any medical or surgical history?
Any history on what she was doing prior to admit?

In addition, do we a have a current blood sugar?

We can also look at having a runner fetch her medical records and do we have any radiology and laboratory diagnostics available to include ABG's and XII lead? Since we have a doc present, what are his thoughts and or suggestions regarding management and diagnosis?

While this is going on, do a head to toe exam, (HEENT, Cx, CV, Abd, Neuro, and so on...) Lets do a good airway assessment and LEMON exam as well.

Pulse matches the monitor and the O2 sat pleth. They get the chart for you:
Allergies: PCN (unknown reaction)
Meds: HCTZ prescribed. Pt. had told the nurse she had stopped taking it 2 months ago. Statin. Pt. not taking that, either.
Past medical history: Alcoholism. In and out of treatment. Admitted for detox several times in past 2 years following husband's death (in an MVC). HTN. Obesity. Hyperlipidemia. No major surgeries.
Last intake: Said she'd been drinking vodka unknown amounts per day but the nurses tell you "she always drank a lot", last drink ~4 hours before coming to the hospital.

Fingerstick sugar: 160 mg/dL. (post-arrest)

CBC had been done, which came back all values in range. (drawn pre-arrest)

CMP: (pre-arrest)
BUN elevated
Creatinine high end of normal (~20:1 BUN:creatinine)
K towards low end of normal
AST and ALT significantly elevated (no surprise there)

No x-rays were ordered prior to your arrival.

12-lead: Nothing acute. Maybe a hemiblock, but nothing that blows you away. No ST-elevation or depression.

Gag reflex not formally checked, but OPA is well tolerated.
LEMON
Look external: Plenty of chin fat. No facial hair noted. Tongue appears normal size.
Evaluate: >3 fingerbreadths between incisors, hyoid-to-chin ~2 fingers, thyroid to hyoid <2 fingers.
Mallampati: My partner said 3. (I would have said 4, in retrospect.)
Obstructions: none noted. Jaw mobile.
Neck mobility: Good. No cervical kyphosis noted.

Head-to-toe... not much to say. You notice bruising on the backs of the hands, and some small bruises scattered throughout the body, especially the right shoulder, which has a ~3 in. diameter bruise. She has that look about her of having had a rough life.

The attending physician seems eager to help, but you get this vibe that the sooner you leave, the happier he will be. His differential is basically MI and drug overdose.

ABG, x-rays, and other labs are available, but they have to phone the lab tech to come in from home to run them, which will be a 10-15 minute delay before she reaches the hospital.

I stop working in rural EMS and get back to the city. Im a paramedic not a magician.

:laugh: Yeah, there's a reason I'm a student these days. I miss it sometimes... but not as much as I thought I would.

Most likely a difficult airway. Now, we need to decide how to manage her. I assume the only providers that can go are my partner and myself? So, managing an airway with a single person for 45 minutes is a very risky move.

With the elevated LFT's, did the facility run coags?

Are we able to easily identify landmarks in the event we need to transition rapidly to a surgical option?

What equipment and modalities do we have available? If we can easily keep her at 99% with BLS modalities, it may be worth discussing comfort levels and doing an attempt at laryngoscopy utilising ELM and having a bougie on hand.

If possible, have her prepped for a surgical transition and have our backups out and ready to utilise. If we have any video devices such as the Glidescope, I would look at using them. An ILMA would be a good backup option to consider as we have a shot at intubating through it. If that is the case, I would leave the ILMA in place after successful intubation and opt out of using the stabilising rod to pull the ILMA.

Hard to decide what caused her problem. Retching and then going into asystole with quick recovery sounds like it could just be excessive vagal tone. Was a neuro exam done? What was her GCS? What were pupils + pupillary light reflex like? Any papilledema or other findings seen on fundoscopy?

So basically...the question is how to manage her airway and leave the outlying facility. Gag is weak or absent, so attempting DL without drugs is acceptable IMO. Or nasal intubation. A trap here might be an esophageal obturator of some sort. Varices are a possibility. LMA? Gum Bougie?

This is other darned if you do, darned if you don't scenarios. If you don't get invasive and she pukes, you should've intubated her. If you do get invasive and she crumps, you look like a fool. So what did you do?

This is other darned if you do, darned if you don't scenarios. If you don't get invasive and she pukes, you should've intubated her. If you do get invasive and she crumps, you look like a fool. So what did you do?

That's true. Pretty much how I feel about it after the fact. I definitely felt like we had no choice but to manage the airway, but at the time I wondered if I was just going to have to extubate her in 10 minutes when she finally came around.

You guys all hit the main points I (purposely) left out to make it a little more ambiguous. Pupils were unreactive (but not blown, so far as I remember), GCS of 3. No idea about papilledema, as a medic I didn't use an ophthalmascope. My partner got our medical director on the phone, who told us to RSI and transport.

By the time my partner got back and told me this, the patient's spontaneous resps were like 10-12, with decent depth, but irregular. Still tolerating the oral airway. EMT and I trial her on a NRM and sats stay in the 97-98% range. GCS still 3.

My partner had been through some supervised intubations as part of his orientation, and he oozed invincibility out of every pore, so he asked if he could do the tube... and against my better judgment, I said sure. We set up for a tube, and I drew up meds, but I figured we probably wouldn't need them at the moment. We had the bougie out, and combitube as a backup, with a surgical cric kit if we needed it.

My partner pulled off the NRM, pulled out the oral airway, put a miller blade (his favorite) in the mouth, and before you can say "oh F," she bites down on it. He quickly pulled back, but the very tip of the blade was still between her teeth. Good thing she had an overbite or I think she'd have broken some teeth... he angled the blade forward and managed to get it out.

So now, she's still unresponsive, with a clenched jaw, still breathing erratically through her nose and teeth in a very, very weird kind of way. EMT starts bagging her again.

My partner was kind of shaken up by this and told me to try, so I told him to give our induction doses of fentanyl and versed. She's satting okay and still breathing, and looking at her I just get the bad feeling, and I told him to hold off on the sux for now. I pictured myself trying to explain to my medical director why I paralyzed somebody with a difficult airway who was still breathing... I figured the prudent approach might be just to snow her. I angled the head of the bed up towards me while I was at it.

Once her jaw unclenched, I went in and had a pretty terrible view. Grade III/IV-ish. With some ELM/BURP maneuver-type stuff, I could see the back of the glottis and the very back of the cords. Bougie made it in, followed by the tube. Confirmed placement with ETCO2, secured as well as we could, set up a transport vent, and asked for a CXR. Once we had that, we hustled back home.

Her INR was elevated because of liver failure, and she had a subarachnoid bleed. On the drive home, her spontaneous resps went down, down, down... Right pupil soon is blown. By the time we got to the hospital, left pupil has followed. She never regained consciousness. Pulled off the vent 2 days later surrounded by her family. I'm still not sure what the hell happened at the facility, but on the ride back to the hospital, I saw that the nurse had recorded the patient's request for an aspirin for her headache when she was admitted... I think they'd passed it off as a hangover.

I wonder if I should have just RSI'd... it also occurs to me that I took a huge gamble by not giving Vec prior to our transport. That would have been about perfect duration of paralysis given our transport time. If she had woken up, and pulled the tube, I would have been screwed.

I'd say your management was perfectly acceptable, with the exception of allowing your partner to attempt (which you already said was a mistake). How do you feel about paralytics and increased ICP? The studies I have seen seem to be somewhat weakly supported. IIRC, there is a weak association between increased ICP and vec, and a stronger association with sux. What data have you seen?