another internship after gmo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as a hypothetical, if I do a TY and a GMO, would I have to repeat internship year for a pediatrics residency (if I stay in the army)? thanks.,

Members don't see this ad.

You would most likely be given some credit for internship, but still have to extend your residency by several months, as you return as a 'resitern' after your TY internship. If Peds is what you want, but you got a TY, then try to work with your TY PD and the Peds residency PD to figure out how to maximize what you can get from your internship. See if you can take electives/selectives in the PICU or NICU, get an internal medicine ward month changed to a Peds ward month, etc. You are not the first person to do something like this.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

You would most likely be given some credit for internship, but still have to extend your residency by several months, as you return as a 'resitern' after your TY internship. If Peds is what you want, but you got a TY, then try to work with your TY PD and the Peds residency PD to figure out how to maximize what you can get from your internship. See if you can take electives/selectives in the PICU or NICU, get an internal medicine ward month changed to a Peds ward month, etc. You are not the first person to do something like this.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

All true, but I'll just warn the OP to say that your residency is not obligated to accept the relevant rotations from your internship. Most will do it, particularly a relatively benign specialty like pediatrics. However, I've seen someone go into ortho who was forced to repeat an entire intership, even though he completed a surgery internship initially and there was tremendous overlap between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not aware of peds ever having gotten particularly competitive in the Army (as it has occasionally gotten in the past in the Navy) so I would venture that this is probably unnecessary speculation, but:

Agree with Psychbender about his recommendations. Also agree that you will have some make-up time as a "resiturn" (probably more as a previous transitional as opposed to a previous peds intern). As a resident at a Navy hospital we had one guy (who was an excellent resident) who had to repeat the whole year even though he'd done a peds internship because he'd been out in GMO land for too long (did a FS and UMO tour), so duration away from training may also factor in.

Slightly O/T: are you particularly worried about not matching into peds?

Thanks for the replies y'all. To be frank, I'm about 75% set on peds. I was hoping to use the TY to solidify my decision. Although, I'm not 100% sure I want to repeat my intern year or any part of it. It appears that the peds intern years are almost all peds, so coming off a Ty I'd have to repeat at least 6 months ...

I have a classmate from internship who did just what you describe. Transitional year, but then applied for peds in the fall and got accepted to start at our program right after the end of TY, so she didn't have to do GMO. She had to repeat the entire intern year, no credit for TY, even the peds month. However, this is the best part, since she was repeating internship that year actually counted as a year of payback of her commitment! It was an internship, so it didn't incur obligation like residency training, but since it wasn't her first internship, she was paying off 1 year of HPSP that year.

I have a classmate from internship who did just what you describe. Transitional year, but then applied for peds in the fall and got accepted to start at our program right after the end of TY, so she didn't have to do GMO. She had to repeat the entire intern year, no credit for TY, even the peds month. However, this is the best part, since she was repeating internship that year actually counted as a year of payback of her commitment! It was an internship, so it didn't incur obligation like residency training, but since it wasn't her first internship, she was paying off 1 year of HPSP that year.

Whoa that is cool!

why so man?

IMHO, if you are quite likely to be offered a straight through spot like in Peds, its best not to interrupt your training and be a one year wonder. I guess if you are on the fence about peds or want something more competitive like a pediatric subspecialty or something, yeah it makes sense to go GMO for a few years. I don't know about the Army, but in the AF it seemed like there were actually more operational type jobs for those who were board certified in something. Plus the borded folks could choose their track, leadership, clinical, etc after one tour. If I remember correctly you are prior service also, so you already have some operational experience and needn't be in such a hurry to get out in the field. Also, the pay is better.