Another(!) MS4 program list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacher2md

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry to add to the deluge of MS4 threads, but as ERAS is closing in, I'd like your input about my list of programs. Specifically, I could use help in stratifying these into Reach/Probable/Safety. I'd also like your completely subjective opinions about these programs.

My info:
Ms4 at Top-30 MD school. Average pre-clinicals; Step1-249; awaiting Step 2. Mostly Honors in 3rd year, with 3 HP's. 2 publications, neither in anesthesia.

I prefer the Southeast or a city with nearby mountains/skiing.

My list in no particular order:

South/Midatlantic:
-UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, Georgetown, GWU,VCU, Maryland, JHU

Outdoorsy cities:
-UW, OHSU, UCSF, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, UNM, Arizona

Are there any of the above that will give me a significantly better training experience than others? Or does it not matter? I'm a pretty self-motivated learner, but I really enjoy faculty that are invested in teaching. I plan to do a fellowship in Critical Care or Peds.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can we not combine all these threads into one megathread?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, sorry to add to the deluge of MS4 threads, but as ERAS is closing in, I'd like your input about my list of programs. Specifically, I could use help in stratifying these into Reach/Probable/Safety. I'd also like your completely subjective opinions about these programs.

My info:
Ms4 at Top-30 MD school. Average pre-clinicals; Step1-249; awaiting Step 2. Mostly Honors in 3rd year, with 3 HP's. 2 publications, neither in anesthesia.

I prefer the Southeast or a city with nearby mountains/skiing.

My list in no particular order:

South/Midatlantic:
-UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, Georgetown, GWU,VCU, Maryland, JHU

Outdoorsy cities:
-UW, OHSU, UCSF, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, UNM, Arizona

Are there any of the above that will give me a significantly better training experience than others? Or does it not matter? I'm a pretty self-motivated learner, but I really enjoy faculty that are invested in teaching. I plan to do a fellowship in Critical Care or Peds.

Thanks!

Very nice list of programs. IMHO, one of the main reasons of the interview is to ask these types of questions, availability of Pediatric fellowship for example, and to see if the program is a good fit for you. You can add another 5-8 programs to your application then I think you are all set.

IMHO, these are very good programs and can easily lead to any type of fellowship at say CHOPS:

1. Stanford
2. Duke
3. UCSF
4. JHU
5. Penn (add this one)
6. Wash U (add this one)

Here is your second list of still very good programs:

1. Wake
2. UVA
3. UNC
4. OHSU
5. Georgetown/GWU
6. UW
7. Colorado
8. Utah
9. Maryland
10. Arizona
11. UNM

Blade has put together a good list. Current resident at Wake here and I am very happy with the training and mentorship. Personally would rank UNC and Penn lower...but all programs are very good.

Blade has put together a good list. Current resident at Wake here and I am very happy with the training and mentorship. Personally would rank UNC and Penn lower...but all programs are very good.

Penn has a great name. UNC has Chapel Hill which I'm fond of.

The OP mentioned "Peds fellowships" and Penn/CHOPS has one of the best in the world.

http://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/general-anesthesiology/fellowship#.V9S8nZgrL1s

We provide our residents with the best possible training at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, so that we can provide our patients with the best possible clinical care

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/anesthesiology-residency/residency/index.html

Last edited:
Want to be a real superstar? Do a second year at CHOPS and I expect your academic career is on solid ground:

Optional second year fellowships are available upon acceptance, including:
  • Pediatric Cardiac Anesthesiology Fellowship
  • Medical Education Training
  • Mentored Research Training
  • Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain

UNC had some sort of provisional or reduced accreditation issues recently.

Reactions: 1 user
UNC received a 2 year accreditation cycle in 2010 for having their interns go over hours due to the large number of ICU months during their intern year. One of which was particularly brutal. Interns no longer do most of these rotations due to the limit the ACGME imposes on max number of ICU months during intern year. They currently have the max 5 five-year review cycle, although the whole accreditation system has recently changed.

Any more info on this?

6. Wash U (add this one)

I agree with adding Wash U. I interviewed there for peds fellowship and it seemed VERY good (for both overall and peds training). Also I'd add Vanderbilt for the same reason. Both are also great at adult critical care, per OPs other interest.

Thanks!

All of those places probably will give you good training in CC or peds... I'd say just go where you get a good feeling, and where the residents seem happy. Some places seem much more generous with the "extra" stuff and less prone to exploit residents as a work force. It's always a good sign if they have a good academic fund and generous attitude sending you to anesthesia conferences, for example. The opposite is a place that wants to work you to death to get the 3pm CRNA by 2:30 so they don't get upset.

It's also helpful to go somewhere with a lot of connections - to that end somewhere with a relatively well staffed and academically involved peds/CC faculty will be helpful.

UNC received a 2 year accreditation cycle in 2010 for having their interns go over hours due to the large number of ICU months during their intern year. One of which was particularly brutal. Interns no longer do most of these rotations due to the limit the ACGME imposes on max number of ICU months during intern year. They currently have the max 5 five-year review cycle, although the whole accreditation system has recently changed.

Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Very nice list of programs. IMHO, one of the main reasons of the interview is to ask these types of questions, availability of Pediatric fellowship for example, and to see if the program is a good fit for you. You can add another 5-8 programs to your application then I think you are all set.

IMHO, these are very good programs and can easily lead to any type of fellowship at say CHOPS:

1. Stanford
2. Duke
3. UCSF
4. JHU
5. Penn (add this one)
6. Wash U (add this one)

Here is your second list of still very good programs:

1. Wake
2. UVA
3. UNC
4. OHSU
5. Georgetown/GWU
6. UW
7. Colorado
8. Utah
9. Maryland
10. Arizona
11. UNM

Thanks for the advice, Blade! I'll definitely check out Penn and WashU.

All of those places probably will give you good training in CC or peds... I'd say just go where you get a good feeling, and where the residents seem happy. Some places seem much more generous with the "extra" stuff and less prone to exploit residents as a work force. It's always a good sign if they have a good academic fund and generous attitude sending you to anesthesia conferences, for example. The opposite is a place that wants to work you to death to get the 3pm CRNA by 2:30 so they don't get upset.

It's also helpful to go somewhere with a lot of connections - to that end somewhere with a relatively well staffed and academically involved peds/CC faculty will be helpful.

Good point-- I plan to interview at all of these places, so I'll keep these questions in mind.

Thanks, everyone, for the input.

These threads are getting annoying. I don't understand what you didn't get from the 5 other threads that are basically the same.