Another Navy Family Practice and flight surgery question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RugbyJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice in the past. I have two more questions if anyone has an answer.

1. This was asked in a civilian FP thread, and I know that in different parts of the country PF physicians have different roles. In some places they can work in ERs, moonlight on medicine and/or peds floors or serve as a hospitalist, perform C-sections once certified, etc. In the military, can family physicians extend their roles as such? Or is it mostly an outpatient clinic style that you are working? Can someone help explain the exact job description and what one can expect in this position?

2. What is the difference between a senior flight surgeon and junior flight surgeon's role? I emailed OH who put me in touch with someone who answered a few of my questions about doing a FP residency before flight surgery vs. after and he said that "Being a jr (before residecy) is more fun than being a senior (after residency)," but he did not really explain why. I have been meaning to call him, but my phone died, so figured I would post here first. In case the above didn't make sense, the question is what are the pros and cons of doing a GMO before vs. after finishing a family practice residency?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the great advice in the past. I have two more questions if anyone has an answer.

1. This was asked in a civilian FP thread, and I know that in different parts of the country PF physicians have different roles. In some places they can work in ERs, moonlight on medicine and/or peds floors or serve as a hospitalist, perform C-sections once certified, etc. In the military, can family physicians extend their roles as such? Or is it mostly an outpatient clinic style that you are working? Can someone help explain the exact job description and what one can expect in this position?

2. What is the difference between a senior flight surgeon and junior flight surgeon's role? I emailed OH who put me in touch with someone who answered a few of my questions about doing a FP residency before flight surgery vs. after and he said that "Being a jr (before residecy) is more fun than being a senior (after residency)," but he did not really explain why. I have been meaning to call him, but my phone died, so figured I would post here first. In case the above didn't make sense, the question is what are the pros and cons of doing a GMO before vs. after finishing a family practice residency?

Thanks!

FPs in the Navy have the opportunity to full spectrum Family Medicine. In our community hospitals, they typically do. I have friends who are credentialed to do C-sections and the OBs tend to be very supportive. What you practice and what procedures you do is limited by which spot you practice, but there are often opportunities to continue areas of practice you don't want to lose. Although I have only had one job that required OB, I still manage to keep current on my OB and deliver 1-2 babies per month. I do it because I enjoy it and feel it is important.

It is mostly a matter of priorities.

Pros for GMO
Your still considered green and less tends to be expected of you.
There tends to be a wider selection of billets. Once you are BC, the Navy wants you in FP spots, not FS. Some do fill FS spots, but they tend to have more administrative responsibilities.

Cons for GMO
You get paid less. Once you finish residency you get ISP and BCP. This is over 15K per year. Nothing to sneeze at.
You know more. You are a more seasoned doc and will be more comfortable in a sole provider role.