Another nervous grad school applicant; feedback appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mambamonk87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya, I was hoping to get some feedback from all the distinguished members of this forum! I'm sorry to clutter the forum with another one of these "prospective grad student, am I gonna make it??" threads, but I'm desperate and quite nervous at the moment.

My UGPA is 3.405 right now (this is what's making me so worried, blah), and I'm taking the GRE's in a week or so. I've taken a bunch of practice GRE's online and I think I'll hit around 1200+, thinking 650 Verbal/700 Quant. I'm also going to take the Psychology GRE Subject test.

I've worked in two labs at my school (UC San Diego), one drug & addiction lab and one perception lab (specifically language and reading perception). Total of maybe a year and half with both combined.

I'm also a Psi Chi staff member.

So I'm looking for a doctorate level program, focused primarily on clinical psychology, with research involving drug/addiction disorders. I wouldn't mind working in some sort of clinic or rehab centers for addicts.

I've gone to my counselors, but none of them have really told me much more than what I've found in books and in forums like this one, so I was hoping some of you guys could help me out, i.e. suggesting certain schools or programs, ways to narrow down my search, letting me know my chances into getting into a Psy.D or Ph.D program, and what schools to avoid (Alliant).

Any feedback would be so appreciated that I'd be tempted to send you a fruitbasket with all the works! :thumbup: Seriously. :)

EDIT: One last thing. I'm not tied down to any locations, really, but I'd like to be in an urban area. I'm from Los Angeles so I'm a city boy at heart.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without a lot more data, it would be hard to say what your chances are.

1. Without GRE and UGPA, it would be hard to say, a 4.00gpa and a 700 V+Q GRE would probably kill your app. Alternatively a 1400 GRE and a 3.40 gpa would have an entirely different result.

2. Without specific target schools, it's even harder to say.

3. No one will really care about Psi Chi... just my opinion. Lab work and leadership is much more important.

Good luck, you'll be fine if you get the 1350 GRE you estimate you are capable of doing.

So what kind of program are you seeking, training-wise? Research-oriented, or balanced?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick responses! Really appreciated. And I'm definitely going to crack down hard for those GRE's to make up for my GPA.

I'd say I'm looking for a balanced program, but one that leans towards clinical training and practice. I've also heard that clinical psychologists tend to work with more highly pathological clients than counseling, which is one reason I'd like to go the clinical route.

My biggest concern with picking schools to apply to is knowing the differences between big universities and small schools, private or public, or what a professional school is, etc.; stuff that people who've already applied might know about. If anything, I'd like to know the things I should avoid doing, I guess. I'm just not completely sure what to look for.

Some schools I've looked at:

UCSB's CCSP program (clinical ph.d)
Joint UCSD/SDSU clinical ph.d program
Pepperdine (but I don't know if I'd do the Masters there) psy.d
Boston U clinical ph.d
Rutgers psy.d

I would do a PsycInfo search for your research interests and see which names all come up, then determine if they are at a program that meets your training needs.

I'd say I'm looking for a balanced program, but one that leans towards clinical training and practice.

Such a rarity...

Most PhD programs are slanted in the other direction. But still, some that are focused on research often do lots of that research in psychotherapy development, mechanisms, and outcomes.

Thanks for the quick responses! Really appreciated. And I'm definitely going to crack down hard for those GRE's to make up for my GPA.

I'd say I'm looking for a balanced program, but one that leans towards clinical training and practice. I've also heard that clinical psychologists tend to work with more highly pathological clients than counseling, which is one reason I'd like to go the clinical route.

My biggest concern with picking schools to apply to is knowing the differences between big universities and small schools, private or public, or what a professional school is, etc.; stuff that people who've already applied might know about. If anything, I'd like to know the things I should avoid doing, I guess. I'm just not completely sure what to look for.

Some schools I've looked at:

UCSB's CCSP program (clinical ph.d)
Joint UCSD/SDSU clinical ph.d program
Pepperdine (but I don't know if I'd do the Masters there) psy.d
Boston U clinical ph.d
Rutgers psy.d

I'm also looking at balanced PhD programs, and BU is one of my top choices. They work largely on a mentorship model, meaning that your research interests have to be in line with that of a faculty member who is taking students in the fall, and that they then accept you to work in their lab.

Thanks for the info!

Have you looked at all at UCSB's CSSP program? I like the fact that there are multiple areas you can study, and the ability to switch from program to program is such a rarity at the doctoral level. And the fact that it's APA accredited and the internship rate is high sounds great as well.

Does anyone know anything about the CSSP program? I saw the thread about it from that person who seemed to be promoting it, but I was wondering if anyone here has heard about it through peers or word of mouth (i.e., reputation as a school, faculty, student body, etc.)?

I'm also looking at balanced PhD programs, and BU is one of my top choices.

Not sure what the Insider's Guide says, but my impression of BU is that it is very research oriented and not "balanced" in the sense that people here typically mean.

Could be wrong, I suppose.

Thanks for the info!

Have you looked at all at UCSB's CSSP program? I like the fact that there are multiple areas you can study, and the ability to switch from program to program is such a rarity at the doctoral level. And the fact that it's APA accredited and the internship rate is high sounds great as well.

Does anyone know anything about the CSSP program? I saw the thread about it from that person who seemed to be promoting it, but I was wondering if anyone here has heard about it through peers or word of mouth (i.e., reputation as a school, faculty, student body, etc.)?

Yeah, I have been looking at it, and by the looks of their website it seems like a great fit for me. I haven't heard anything, really, except I know some of Mike Furlong's work, and he's very prominent in the field of positive psychology. In briefly researching their faculty, though, it seems like they are more school/counseling than clinical based. I could be wrong, though.

Not sure what the Insider's Guide says, but my impression of BU is that it is very research oriented and not "balanced" in the sense that people here typically mean.

Could be wrong, I suppose.

Hmm, I'll have to look at this Insider's Guide. I haven't heard of it before, where can I find it??

BU has always been my dream school (for any topic of study haha) and so I hope that's not true!!

Hmm, I'll have to look at this Insider's Guide. I haven't heard of it before, where can I find it??

BU has always been my dream school (for any topic of study haha) and so I hope that's not true!!

You can get it on Amazon or pretty much any book-selling website like that. Definitely useful.

You can get it on Amazon or pretty much any book-selling website like that. Definitely useful.

Well, I looked it up in my older edition just out of curiosity. At that time, BU listed themselves as a 5 on a scale from 1-7 (7 being the most research oriented). I think the self-report method is somewhat misleading, however. Heck, even Yale only lists themselves as a 6 and everyone agrees they are the paragon of a "research oriented" program. Living in Boston, I know that BU is very research focused, with their grad students spending considerable time working in labs.

This is nothing against BU, as I happen to like research myself. They have good clinical opportunities. However, it's simply not the type of program you want to go to if you don't want to do research. Nor is it the type of program that will accept you if you don't have tons of experience in that area.

Sorry. Most people find that schools they dreamed of as an undergraduate look very different when applying to grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I looked it up in my older edition just out of curiosity. At that time, BU listed themselves as a 5 on a scale from 1-7 (7 being the most research oriented). I think the self-report method is somewhat misleading, however. Heck, even Yale only lists themselves as a 6 and everyone agrees they are the paragon of a "research oriented" program. Living in Boston, I know that BU is very research focused, with their grad students spending considerable time working in labs.

This is nothing against BU, as I happen to like research myself. They have good clinical opportunities. However, it's simply not the type of program you want to go to if you don't want to do research. Nor is it the type of program that will accept you if you don't have tons of experience in that area.

Sorry. Most people find that schools they dreamed of as an undergraduate look very different when applying to grad school.

Yeah, I know. I couldn't even apply there undergrad since I wanted to do something else at the time and they didn't have a program for it.
Anyway, thanks for the info. It helps a lot getting other people's opinions about the schools you're applying to. :)

Whom are you interested in at BU?

am I gonna make it??
My UGPA is 3.405 right now (this is what's making me so worried, blah), and I'm taking the GRE's in a week or so. I've taken a bunch of practice GRE's online and I think I'll hit around 1200+, thinking 650 Verbal/700 Quant.

If you make a 1350 on your GRE you will get an interview at almost every school you apply to! Your GPA isn't bad. At least not bad enough to exclude you.

I am not sure if you are looking for programs that focus on empirically validated treatments or not. If you are, try to focus on programs that are CBT or BT focused. Some great examples: LSU, Auburn, West Virginia Univ, Florida State, Univ of New Mexico.

If you make a 1350 on your GRE you will get an interview at almost every school you apply to!

Well...let's not go crazy there ;). The numbers aren't the most important part of the application, after all. I'm living proof that a moderately high GRE score will not get you an interview everywhere.

To Mambamonk, I agree that your GPA will not exclude you at most places. You have good research experience, so concentrate on finding a school where you fit well and on making a solid case for yourself in your SoP.

Well...let's not go crazy there ;). The numbers aren't the most important part of the application, after all. I'm living proof that a moderately high GRE score will not get you an interview everywhere.

To Mambamonk, I agree that your GPA will not exclude you at most places. You have good research experience, so concentrate on finding a school where you fit well and on making a solid case for yourself in your SoP.

I agree. I was just saying that a 1350 GRE will make a lot of places give your application a thorough look and they will be willing to overlook weaknesses in other areas.

Okay blah.

I got a 1290 on my GRE's (610 Verbal, 680 Quant). Sucks because I didn't even finish the Quant section! I had 2-3 problems left when time ran out. My nerves probably killed me there.

Anyway, now that I have a GRE score to throw into the mix, how does my application look?

I love you guys, btw. This site is beyond great for all of us jittery grad school applicants. <3

Okay blah.

I got a 1290 on my GRE's (610 Verbal, 680 Quant). Anyway, now that I have a GRE score to throw into the mix, how does my application look?

You will do great! Make sure you research the profs you want to work with before going on the interviews. Also, have an idea (topic) of what you would like to work on in grad school.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! *Sure could use as much confidence as possible right now, lol*

Interestingly enough, I've started to delve into some counseling psychology topics that seem to be borderline sociology:

Biculturalism
Socioeconomic & Ethnic Disparities
Ethnic factors in career choices

Yet they're the research topics of some professors I'm looking into for counseling psych. Would you guys happen to know of any other psychology professors at your respective campuses doing similar research?

Biculturalism
Socioeconomic & Ethnic Disparities
Ethnic factors in career choices

Yet they're the research topics of some professors I'm looking into for counseling psych. Would you guys happen to know of any other psychology professors at your respective campuses doing similar research?

Amy Copeland at LSU does some SES research.