Another one of those "do you think i'll get in" posts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLeyeGUY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.0 with about a year and a half to go. Have biochem, Physics II, A+P, Calc I prereqs left. Def could rock a 3.2 overall and a 2.8 mat sci GPA.

Spending summer working on Kaplan OAT books. Good test taker. Feel like I could def get a slightly above average grade. Have been scoring well on practice tests.

I go to school and work full time (sux). Worked 1 1/2 years for a national optical chain (LC) and currently 2 years for and independent optical group. Throughout this time I have racked up about 3 years total pre-testing for several docs (auto-refractor, tonometer, vis. field, retinal camera etc.). I have worked in the laboratory generating and finishing hundreds of pairs of lenses, as well as becoming lensometer certified. Have also become proficient in dealing with insurance companies (coding/billing).

Was looking for some input on how my overall profile looks. I know that my GPA is below average and that my strong point (work exp.) is not necessarily a make or break for admission. Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated.
:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you've got a pretty clear idea of what you're capable of. Obviously, you wanna bring up the GPA as much as possible, and make sure you're fully prepared for the OAT. It's not an impossible exam by any means, especially if you're a good test taker-- just takes some prepping.

Your experience will help you in the sense that you probably have a great idea about why you want to get into the field (personal statement), and have hopefully built some strong relationships with practicing optometrists (letters of recommendation). It'll also help when you get to the interview part of the process.

As far as realistic expectations, a 2.8 science GPA is pretty low, and I'm assuming it's currently lower than that and you're hoping to pull it up to a 2.8. If you're going to apply for the 2011 cycle, you have plenty of time to make sure you apply EARLY in the cycle. If possible, try to take more upper level science courses in the mean time to show that you can handle the workload (even if that means doing a post-bacc).

Good luck :xf:

GPA 3.0 with about a year and a half to go. Have biochem, Physics II, A+P, Calc I prereqs left. Def could rock a 3.2 overall and a 2.8 mat sci GPA.

Spending summer working on Kaplan OAT books. Good test taker. Feel like I could def get a slightly above average grade. Have been scoring well on practice tests.

I go to school and work full time (sux). Worked 1 1/2 years for a national optical chain (LC) and currently 2 years for and independent optical group. Throughout this time I have racked up about 3 years total pre-testing for several docs (auto-refractor, tonometer, vis. field, retinal camera etc.). I have worked in the laboratory generating and finishing hundreds of pairs of lenses, as well as becoming lensometer certified. Have also become proficient in dealing with insurance companies (coding/billing).

Was looking for some input on how my overall profile looks. I know that my GPA is below average and that my strong point (work exp.) is not necessarily a make or break for admission. Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated.
:smuggrin:

Hey.
Yeah, Just apply early. I got in to 4 schools (applied to 6) with lower marks. I had a 2.9 GPA and 310 OAT (with one score being 280) so I think it is definitely possible. I applied early and had good extra curriculars so stay positive.

Best of Luck!