Another "PS idea" thread...any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCdannyLA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've written a rough copy of my PS...

I basically wrote about why and how my passion is to become a reconstructive surgeon that treats children born with birth defects/disabilities, children that were abused, etc.

I guess what I was wondering was...would that be "too specific" for a PS? Do adcoms expect an essay of why I want to become a doctor "in general"..or is it okay to write about such a specific goal that I hope to achieve via medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

UCdannyLA said:
So I've written a rough copy of my PS...

I basically wrote about why and how my passion is to become a reconstructive surgeon that treats children born with birth defects/disabilities, children that were abused, etc.

I guess what I was wondering was...would that be "too specific" for a PS? Do adcoms expect an essay of why I want to become a doctor "in general"..or is it okay to write about such a specific goal that I hope to achieve via medicine?

If your past experiences pushed you towards a specific field, then write about it and support your ideas with anecdotes. You can mention in your conclusion that although your experiences have guided you to field X, you are open to new experiences and will consider other fields as you mature as a medical student. Good luck!

If your specific, compelling life experiences have pushed you in that direction, it's a good idea.

If it's more of an abstract concept of "what a terrific and fulfilling job would be," then don't write it.