Another Q for aprogDirector - Early ERAS Submission = ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spartan 2BE DOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi almighty APD,

I know other SDNers have this same question. I was told that the earlier you submit your application, the sooner interviews roll in. Well, I submitted on the first day and my entire application was complete mid-sept (except MSPE).

So, all applications are downloaded and printed by the programs. Are these sorted in any particular order? Such as the date the application was downloaded? Or is it random? The reason I ask is that what if programs don't review the applications until mid-October or better yet, wait until NOV 1st. Is it possible that the invites may have all been handed out before they get to my application, if mine is randomly sorted at the bottom of the pile. Or is there a system, where the applicants who submitted earliest will be reviewed first after the MSPE is released?

I know you would be generalizing because you can only speak for IM residency and for your program. After all the ERAS filters, what's the "real" process?

Spartan

Members don't see this ad.

the situation you propose seems highly unlikely to me. why would a program risk losing out on a great candidate because of chance only? i've said this numerous times before: as much as we candidates freak out about this process, programs are just as nervous about making sure they get good employees for the next 3+ years.

i would think that if a program waits until Nov 1 to even look at apps (highly unlikely in my opinion, anyway), then they're going to look at all applications submitted prior to the application deadline before deciding whom to invite.

The applications are sorted any which way we want. The ERAS software allows us to filter the applications (i.e. limit applications to those with Step 1 and 2 scores reported, for example) and then sort those applications in whatever order you want (By date of application, or backwards by middle initial, or whatever). The default sort is by last name.

In any case, programs will review all applications received. We may create filters to help "rule out" those applications which do not meet minimum criteria.