Another step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roadandradio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I did not read the example patient note carefully before taking CS, and my HPI was only a paragraph. So for all of the cases, in my HPI, I did not have a section for PMH, SH, FH, meds/allergies, social history. However, I had asked all of this to the patient. And my paragraph included pertinent things. The PMH and SH was included in the first liner.
Has anyone does this and passed? I am getting really worried, and I don't know what will happen if I fail.
I thought I had a good differential for all the cases and thought I was empathetic. However, for few of the cases, I forgot to summarize but I went over the plan and counseled.
I also forgot to take the foot rest out initially for 2 of the cases but remembered after a minute or so.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about the footrest, as long as you eventually pulled it out you'll be fine. Sounds like you could be ok with your paragraph too, as long as the information is in there in some form or another (you don't have to have a separate section or line break for everything). If you didn't include it at all (ex: if they said they are allergic to penicillin and you left that out because you didn't think they needed antibiotics) that might be more of a problem, but who really knows what the grading breakdown is and whether it's more important to just ask about it or if documenting it "correctly" is essential too. Bottom line is that you can't change how you did on the test, so try and put it out of your mind until the score comes out (easier said than done, I know).

Reactions: 1 user
So, I definitely didn't break my HPI into lines and included it as one big paragraph (didn't realize that was even a problem!). I ran out of room plenty of times so usually included only very pertinent parts of PMH/SH/FH, etc. I also didn't know this footrest thing was a big deal either. Other than being courteous when I asked a patient to get off of the exam table for me, I am 98% sure I didn't not adjust the footrest at all.

...AND I DID TOTALLY FINE ON STEP 2 CS. I was at the upper end of "higher performance" on my scoresheet for every category. So moral of the story is: chill. You are probably okay. Honestly I didn't even know there were so many things to worry about (i.e. footrest) and did absolutely fine. Good luck, hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
My HPI was also a single paragraph, but I covered standard parts of H&P. I passed as well.