Another Video of Shoplifting at Rite Aid emerges as store Forced to Shut down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
This is crazy. Rite Aid has had a do not engage policy for at least nearly 2 decades.

Another video of shoplifting at Rite Aid emerges as store forced to shut

By Dana Kennedy

January 26, 2022 | 2:15pm

Shoplifters are so unconcerned with being arrested in the city that one of them stopped to chat with The Post after ransacking a Manhattan drug store — which is closing for good because of the out-of-control crime scourge.

The Rite Aid at the corner of 8th Avenue and 50th Street in Hell’s Kitchen will close Feb. 8 because of the rampant pilfering, said store sources who claim thieves have ripped off more than $200,000 worth of merchandise in the past two months alone.

But the shocking epidemic of shoplifting around the city has devastated this store, which sits across from two subway stations and has been a staple of the neighborhood for at least 20 years. A Post reporter saw other men shoplifting from the 24-hour location with ease at all hours of the day and night last week.

“They come in every day, sometimes twice a day, with laundry bags and just load up on stuff,” one store employee told The Post, as two other employees stood by nodding in agreement. “They take whatever they want and we can’t do anything about it. It’s why the store is closing. They can’t afford to keep it open.”

The shoplifting epidemic has gone on unabated for months across the city. In October, one crook was nabbed and is finally in jail after being let go for his own one-man shoplifting spree in Queens, with 46 arrests. Retail theft complaints in the city have jumped 36 percent from 2020 to 2021, according to the most recent NYPD data.
Theft of anything under $1,000 is considered a misdemeanor, which has led to crooks cleaning out the store.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
let it shut down. businesses that fail to adapt to the changing environment deserves to fail. store go in and out of business all the time due to a variety of factors. Maybe in their place an independent pharmacy will pop up and they will have better theft deterrent measures.

I am happy to see all these big chain pharmacies fail and shut down. Screw CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aide lol

Reactions: 6 users
That's what most cough and cold sections look like right now everywhere. I feel like that photo may be disingenuous.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$200,00 in two months? There had to be employee theft as well.

That’s incredible. Basically unbelievable. I wonder what the store sales were in the same time period.

What do they do with all that stuff? Sell it at flea markets? How much Tylenol does one need?

There is no consequence for retail theft and most property crime in todays world. Not enough police, not enough prison guards. Catch and release I guess

Goooooood. Get all these chain stores out of business.

In all seriousness though, the thieves know what they are doing. They know exactly how much they can steal without being given a felony charge. As long as they don't put their hands on anyone, or steal more than a certain amount, they know if they get arrested, they will be released in a couple of hours with a court summons instead of being hauled to Rikers Island. And they know these stores have policies to not confront the shoplifter.

I'm just waiting to see someone steal a bunch of covid home test kits without knowing/realizing/being completely oblivious to the thought of being labeled as a thief. Be like, "nah man, Biden said he's got me covered" or some B.S. regarding confusion from the news regarding "free" home test kits

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'm just waiting to see someone steal a bunch of covid home test kits without knowing/realizing/being completely oblivious to the thought of being labeled as a thief. Be like, "nah man, Biden said he's got me covered" or some B.S. regarding confusion from the news regarding "free" home test kits
I initially laughed. And then I gradually became sad at society when I realized this could actually happen.

Isnt this because all the criminals are back out on the street? Isnt this happening throughout California as well?

What do they do with all that stuff? Sell it at flea markets? How much Tylenol does one need?
There are fences that usually buy the stuff in bulk and then it is resold either in bulk on the black market or directly to individuals in black market shops that are usually run out of someone's apartment or house. Prices are often half what one would pay retail in the makeshift shops but largely the stuff is resold online these days on Ebay, Facebook marketplace, or other hard-to-trace marketplaces.

Reactions: 2 users
$200,00 in two months? There had to be employee theft as well.

That’s incredible. Basically unbelievable. I wonder what the store sales were in the same time period.
It could go either way. Most stores in my suburban district have about 400 to 500k of inventory and gross around 220-250k a month. I have to assume a store in an urban center has sales above half a million a month and could have massive theft of high MSRP items like OTCs, cosmetics, ect. I do wonder what type of security cages and such they were using though.

Also, I'm sure the theft numbers are at full retail value and not the actual acquisition cost. Still I agree 100k a month seems insane.

Usually organized theft rings will sell online, the boosters (the ones doing the actual shoplifting) are just the first step of many. They usually turn over their stuff to middle-men, then up to distributors, who will hawk things online. They used to do flea markets, but internet is more discreet.

I don't blame the emoployees - if you want to steal from my store - have at it, I will report you, but I sure as hell am not gonna get in an altercation to save my company's tylenol.

Reactions: 3 users
I know of a CVS front store employee who ran down someone stealing toothpaste and he got stabbed... It's freaking toothpaste, let them have it.

I was always taught to actually make sure the thief left with at least $500 worth of controlled substances to get the Feds involved. Robbed enough times to see the difference in MN. In AZ, they shoot robbers, don't they (and those of you in the know, I worked literally the night shift after the infamous Mesa and Dobson passed prescription forgery and have a particularly mordant story about how that got cleaned up).