Another 'What are my chances' thread- Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justanotheruser2244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
I just graduated from a Canadian university with an average of about 67% which translates into a 2.3 GPA on the OMSAS scale. My MCAT was a 24, which admission reps have told me was the average for applicants to Caribbean schools. However, I am still retaking it this July with hopes of getting a higher score. I am wondering if there is an hope of being accepted to a Caribbean school with my low GPA.
Do any of you know students who have been admitted with such a GPA? Do I have any chances getting into the Big 4? If not, what do you guys recommend to improve my application??

Any response or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance guys!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to sound annoying and simplistic, but apply and find out.

Sometimes people with "special circumstances"get noticed and accepted. You just have to ask yourself this: can I handle the material? It's going to come at you faster and harder than it ever has. Like drinking from a fire hydrant. Only you know your deficiencies and challenges and what has kept your scores down. Everything else being equal, that's the main thing that people care about in medical training: scores (GPA, MCAT, in-service exams, board certification, etc.).

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Skip here. I think there is a chance that you will be accepted to one of the big 4, they might make you take an additional "intro to medicine" type semester or in the case of SGU, might put you in the MPH to MD program. However, use your retake exam in July as an opportunity to prove to yourself that you can handle the rigor of a medical education.