Another what are my chances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeGuy92

Undergrad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just want to see where I stand in your (the student doctor network community) opinion. I am a Biology-major senior with 114 current units and who has about 23 science units left to graduate (will graduate in 2015). I will be applying this summer to enter in 2015 and have not taken the OAT yet. I plan to begin studying for the OAT in May and take it in August(3 months). What will be a good OAT score to strive for? Also, I am unsure whether Psychology fits into the Science GPA or not so I included with/without Psych GPAs. Also, I received 2 F's in freshman year and never retook the classes(one in Geology, one in Introductory English). After freshman/sophomore year, I worked really hard to get good grades to raise my GPA. Honestly, my ideal three schools would be SCCO, Western and Midwestern. I would not mind attending any school but the closer to CA, the better. But anyways, here is my info:

GPA:
Cumulative GPA 3.31
[Bio/Chem/Math/Phys]GPA: 3.53
[Bio/Chem/Math/Phys/Psy] GPA : 3.47

Extracurricular Activity :
- 75+ hours volunteering at a local non-profit vision therapy clinic. Administer various vision therapy techniques on patients.
- 75+ hours volunteering with/shadowing an optometrist at two of his private practice; one in a middle class community/ one in the lower class community. Administered VA (pre-tests) for patients and shadowed doctor during diagnosis.
- Member of college pre-optometry club for 2 years; Treasurer for 1
- Organized 2 fundraisers to raise funds for the non-profit vision therapy clinic mentioned above
- Attended the VisionWalk and a few other types of similar events
- Worked part time as a valet of a hotel for the past 3 years

Letter of Recommendations:
- 1 from an Optometrist
- 1 from my school's pre-professional health committee
- 1 from my Biochemistry II professor

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated but please be professional and respectful. Thanks everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Shoot for over 300 on all sections of the OAT. You look good as a candidate on a cursory glance of your paragraph above :D

I agree with @drumstix! Do well on your OATs, put forward decent essays for your applications, and you'll definitely get interviews! And as long as those interviews go well, you should get acceptance at many schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice guys, it's very helpful. Also, it's best to apply early correct? Can a person apply multiple times during the same cycle if they were rejected already? Especially if they took more classes which would change the GPA.

Yes, your chances are much better the earlier you apply. You can apply to as many schools as you want if that's what you're asking. If a school denies your application, you would have to wait until the next cycle to apply to that same school again.