[answered]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachesandoranges

Reaction score
[answered last year]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think it’s fine; alternatively, you could use a generic phrase such as “racial slur”.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the answer to this is dependent on a combination of the context in which it is used and your abilities as a writer. Could be powerful, but also could offend someone. Go for it if you are confident, but it could potentially rub someone the wrong way. I agree with the poster above that substituting it with “racial slur” could be a potential alternative.

Reactions: 1 user
You got called a name and that is the focus of your essay about becoming a physician?

... Please..

Focus on your desire to become a physician, it will be better received.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
You got called a name and that is the focus of your essay about becoming a physician?

... Please..

Focus on your desire to become a physician, it will be better received.
The essay question literally asked about their experience as a minority…

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a minority too, but we're already overrepresented in medicine, lol.

My point was: Use being "the other" for something powerful and positive: discrimination and being the first in my family etc...

Not, "I got called a bad name and that's why I want to be"

Just sayin'. I understand that those kind of slurs are.. frankly.. invitations to violence. Some folks just need a paddlin'. But they aren't what make us take the path to becoming a physician.

Questions like this come up now and then and can be found with the search feature. This is one thread from last year's cycle:

Yes, we discussed this last year.

I would not quote hate speech terms. Treat secondary essays like written interviews. If you wouldn't say it to an interviewer, don't write it "for effect." I agree with @sirspamalot 's suggestion to find a more positive perspective of being "the other," especially in creating an affirming community or culture.

I'm a minority too, but we're already overrepresented in medicine, lol.

My point was: Use being "the other" for something powerful and positive: discrimination and being the first in my family etc...

Not, "I got called a bad name and that's why I want to be"

Just sayin'. I understand that those kind of slurs are.. frankly.. invitations to violence. Some folks just need a paddlin'. But they aren't what make us take the path to becoming a physician.
I'm definitely not saying that my desire to be a physician stems from this experience, just that it did expand my perspective. Keeping my answer vague here intentionally. I also recognize I am ORM, and I note this.