Anthropology research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done some digging, but no older threads I could find seem to be recent within the past decade.

My school has few and far between research opportunities in the sciences - ~12,000 undergrads and very few positions available. I'm almost finished my junior year and STILL can't find research even though I've been trying very hard to find a preceptor here. I just found something that sparked my interest but isn't your typical science research.

In my medical anthropology class, we have discussed a multitude of topics, many in the current healthcare system. One in particular is underserved areas, which I know is a large topic of conversation nowadays in medicine, especially primary care. I have a large interest in primary care (or EM) in underserved areas of the country. Would conducting a research project related to this be sufficient research experience that medical schools will look for? I can tie it into personal experience and to why I want to be a physician, and the current biomedical model.

To be clear, by the time I apply I'll have ~2000 volunteer hours as an advanced EMT, with more paid work as an advanced EMT. My shadowing will also be >100 hours, so "knowledge" about the field and patient care experience is not a concern.

I know I need research, but I just can't manage to get into a lab. All in all, will this type of anthropology research suffice?

Please, be brutally honest! I appreciate any and all input.

-A.

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine dude. Do the the anthro research. Anthro lends itself to very cool stories, which will be great material for your statement and on your interview day. Talking about PCR bands and p values can be awfully dry, but talking about a cool survey of the patient experience in a ED may be very informative and lively.

Let me further say that research is a positive aspect of the application not because it is inherently linked to some bench or pipette. Research shows that you have the capacity for independent commitment to a challenging topic of inquiry, rigorous and critical thought, function at a higher level than text book memorization.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research can be in anything. Does not have to be bench or basic science focused. In fact, as was mentioned, it so much more fun to talk about non-lab stuff in a sea of premed machines. If you're gonna do this though, you gotta go deep and have substantial things to speak about when the time comes.

Some adcoms will favor laboratory research. Some adcoms will favor hypothesis-driven research whether lab based or otherwise. Exploratory research in something other than the natural sciences will be a stretch with some adcoms. That said, some research is better than none.