Anxiety about clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyitsme5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm a rising D3 and terrified of being in clinic and seeing patients. I have not seen my first patient yet, so how do you recommend that I prepare?

Tbh it's a mess because I don't remember much from my didactic courses and I was never great in preclinic sim lab anyways. Any tips are appreciated. Is youtube helpful for watching procedures before you try to do them? I have been assisting the more senior students, but may never have the chance to watch everything a few times before I do it. Any tips for how I should be seated, cheek retraction, being able to see the best I can in a patients mouth?

I definitely regret not being a better student in D1/D2, but here I am, and all I can do is try my best now.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, everyone. I'm a rising D3 and terrified of being in clinic and seeing patients. I have not seen my first patient yet, so how do you recommend that I prepare?

Tbh it's a mess because I don't remember much from my didactic courses and I was never great in preclinic sim lab anyways. Any tips are appreciated. Is youtube helpful for watching procedures before you try to do them? I have been assisting the more senior students, but may never have the chance to watch everything a few times before I do it. Any tips for how I should be seated, cheek retraction, being able to see the best I can in a patients mouth?

I definitely regret not being a better student in D1/D2, but here I am, and all I can do is try my best now.

Thanks!
New D3 here, I started clinic a month ago so I don't have much advice for you, but 1 thing: never ever forget retracting the cheek and the lip. I was too focused on working the teeth that I forgot to retract and I ended up lacerating my patient's lip with the high speed. I did it twice my 1st week of clinic. I suggest putting a cotton roll into the vestibule of your working area to retract.

Reactions: 6 users
New D3 here, I started clinic a month ago so I don't have much advice for you, but 1 thing: never ever forget retracting the cheek and the lip. I was too focused on working the teeth that I forgot to retract and I ended up lacerating my patient's lip with the high speed. I did it twice my 1st week of clinic. I suggest putting a cotton roll into the vestibule of your working area to retract.

thanks for the tip! woah, congrats on making it through! I can't imagine doing so much operative my first week. at my school, most of us are just doing treatment planning for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the tip! woah, congrats on making it through! I can't imagine doing so much operative my first week. at my school, most of us are just doing treatment planning for a while.
Somehow I got lucky and was able to do about 2 operative every week since I started. After a month I have done 8 operative procedures while most of my classmates had zero or only one. On the other hand I still don't have any crowns or dentures planned right now while lots of my classmates have started on those. Eventually everything will come, just be patient. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!
Don’t get too caught up with what everyone else is doing. Go at your own pace. Sure, you have requirements to fulfill and only so much time, but you are there to learn. Use your faculty as needed. Some will be better than others. But try not to compare yourself too much. It’s normal to be nervous. Your hands will shake at some times. You will make mistakes. Just try and always take care of the patient and do the right thing. Skills and confidence will come.

Reactions: 1 users
You could just wing it, but if you're willing to put in a couple hours just watch your seniors do a couple of exams and cleanings. When they hand you a patient you just do exactly the same thing in exactly the same order.

Reactions: 1 user
Imagine yourself in the chair - be gentle and explain to the patient what to expect.
Remember the danger of pinching the soft tissue, when working, especially during extractions and placing appliances in the mouth
Prepare well for the appointment. Make sure all your supplies are nearby and you know what you are doing and how to do it - do not rely on help of faculty or classmates
Never rush. Give enough time for every procedure
Be gentle giving injections
Project confidence, even if inside you are a wreck
Be respectful, but firm
Keep in mind, that everyone of us been through this kind of anxiety

Reactions: 2 users