Anxiety as a Low-Grade Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontraddy2020

Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is a bit of a read

Hello,

So I am a relatively young (23 going on 24) non traditional applicant. It has actually been a bit of a ride for me and medicine. I had been pre-med in undergrad but was in it for the wrong reasons (parental pressure, comfortable salary, pride). I had also been diagnosed with depression and anxiety at this time which put a lot of emotional stress on my life. Long story short, I realized this wasn't what I wanted, at least not in this way, and decided not to pursue medicine unless I returned to it on my own terms. However, I decided this late (second half of junior year), and my grades were already less than stellar because I just wasn't truly motivated to study. I was in a major I didn't truly care for and pursuing a career that I wasn't sure I wanted. I picked up a second major in Human Development and started doing far better. I was engaged in the classes and became a very strong student. It was through these courses that dealt with societal issues that I learned how important healthcare was to individual success. And ultimately through this major, a non-science major, that I began to recommit to the idea of medicine. After my double degree was complete, I pursued work experience in various fields, nonprofit through Americorps, and then a temporary job as an administrative assistant in a college advising office, and then as a medical scribe in a clinic. I was already creating a path to med school but my medical scribe job was what really pushed me to want to be in the field. It was not a typical emergency room scribe job, as we were in a clinic and it was extremely hands on. I did vitals, ran tests, and assisted with procedures. I was able to see medicine put into practice and feel at least one aspect of the field. I won't ramble on about this job (because I can). But I had to leave after 4 months because I was attending graduate school 3 hours away. I got a job in a Detox clinic to get some clinical experience from a different spectrum of treatment and I believed I was on the right track in terms of experience for medical school.

Recently I've been feeling unsure of my path. I am currently enrolled in a Graduate Health Systems Science Program in order to gain some knowledge and experience I feel will be useful in my career. I'm doing well in the program, but I've been wondering if I should have done a post-bacc instead to boost my undergrad science GPA which is around a 3.0/3.1. I'm getting ready to take the MCAT in April, and I've been studying (shooting for a 514 or above) but I'm starting to feel as though even with a good MCAT score I won't get in. I feel like if I get to the interview stage I could prove myself a worthy candidate. But at this point I don't know if my current grades will even get me there. Should I drop out of my Masters and pursue a Post-bacc? or stick with my path, work hard, and hope for the best?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've already invested time and money into your master's, I can't say it would be wise to drop out and not finish. I also think it may be difficult to explain to adcoms why you dropped out of your masters to boost your gpa 0.1- 0.2 units. It sounds like you're still soul searching. At this moment I would focus all of your energy on your MCAT, get your score, and then really think hard about whether or not you're prepared to take on the sacrifices required to become a physician. Are you trying to do this just to prove to yourself that you can? Or do you really feel like becoming a physician will fulfill you more than any other career?
I would also strongly recommend not mentioning your depression and anxiety in your upcoming applications.

That being said, to offer you some hope:
I applied as a young non trad like yourself with a cgpa 3.3x, sgpa 3.2x, MCAT (first and only attempt) 514
So far I've gotten 6 interviews, 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and am waiting to hear back from the 6th interview.

That being said, I am by no means an expert, and my experience is purely anecdotal. After you achieve your best possible MCAT score, I would seek advice from physicians and adcom members in your area. An admissions director for my local Med school holds office hours for premeds, see if there's anything similar at med schools near you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much for your support so far. I tend to overthink, and maybe that's what I'm doing. I'll do my best to refocus and put my all into my exam. And I'll post the score and move from there.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure you are ready for the MCAT. You have a 3.0 which is very low even if paired with an average MCAT. I think you should DIY post bac to 3.2-3.3 and show an upward trend and then take an MCAT with a realistic goal of 505 at least.
Also make sure that your LORs and ECs are in line.

Disclaimer: This is a bit of a read

Hello,

So I am a relatively young (23 going on 24) non traditional applicant. It has actually been a bit of a ride for me and medicine. I had been pre-med in undergrad but was in it for the wrong reasons (parental pressure, comfortable salary, pride). I had also been diagnosed with depression and anxiety at this time which put a lot of emotional stress on my life. Long story short, I realized this wasn't what I wanted, at least not in this way, and decided not to pursue medicine unless I returned to it on my own terms. However, I decided this late (second half of junior year), and my grades were already less than stellar because I just wasn't truly motivated to study. I was in a major I didn't truly care for and pursuing a career that I wasn't sure I wanted. I picked up a second major in Human Development and started doing far better. I was engaged in the classes and became a very strong student. It was through these courses that dealt with societal issues that I learned how important healthcare was to individual success. And ultimately through this major, a non-science major, that I began to recommit to the idea of medicine. After my double degree was complete, I pursued work experience in various fields, nonprofit through Americorps, and then a temporary job as an administrative assistant in a college advising office, and then as a medical scribe in a clinic. I was already creating a path to med school but my medical scribe job was what really pushed me to want to be in the field. It was not a typical emergency room scribe job, as we were in a clinic and it was extremely hands on. I did vitals, ran tests, and assisted with procedures. I was able to see medicine put into practice and feel at least one aspect of the field. I won't ramble on about this job (because I can). But I had to leave after 4 months because I was attending graduate school 3 hours away. I got a job in a Detox clinic to get some clinical experience from a different spectrum of treatment and I believed I was on the right track in terms of experience for medical school.

Recently I've been feeling unsure of my path. I am currently enrolled in a Graduate Health Systems Science Program in order to gain some knowledge and experience I feel will be useful in my career. I'm doing well in the program, but I've been wondering if I should have done a post-bacc instead to boost my undergrad science GPA which is around a 3.0/3.1. I'm getting ready to take the MCAT in April, and I've been studying (shooting for a 514 or above) but I'm starting to feel as though even with a good MCAT score I won't get in. I feel like if I get to the interview stage I could prove myself a worthy candidate. But at this point I don't know if my current grades will even get me there. Should I drop out of my Masters and pursue a Post-bacc? or stick with my path, work hard, and hope for the best?

I took almost all of my pre-reqs at a community college. Combined with non-science courses that I performed bettter in and I still transferred with about a 2.9 GPA. I had a relatively strong upward trend, decided to do an SMP, and most recently scored a higher MCAT after taking it 6 times (higher still not being 514+). Currently, I have one DO acceptance, one MD acceptance, waiting to hear back from one interview, and 2 WLs.

Point is, I absolutely think you can do it! It sounds like you have the passion and drive, and if you do well in your SMP and on your next MCAT, I'm confident you will get into medical school :) Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want more details!

Reactions: 1 user