Anxiety due to anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep getting anxious about anki because sometimes I don’t have time to do the cards after looking at the lecture. I sometimes can’t concentrate on lectures because I get anxious at times. Should I just drop it and learn things the old school way (taking notes and making outlines etc.)?

It’s just that when I did use it, it helped me remember things well on quizzes/exams. It helps me learn things well.

Am I stressing out and worrying too much? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't imagine getting through medical school without Anki tbh; however, if it is negatively impacting you, and you are able to do well without Anki, then go for it.

I managed to cut down on my anki anxiety by prioritizing getting through as many cards in the AM as possible. I downloaded the mobile app to do cards while at the gym, in elevators, etc, which has also helped.

Reactions: 6 users
Anki helps me worry a bit less actually, because I don't have to spend time trying to figure out what lectures I need to review and if I missed anything. As long as the card is in the deck and unsuspended, I'll get to it when it's time.

How many cards are you doing on average per day? Do you have a limit set on new cards per day? How much time are you spending on lectures, and what else is taking up your day? I know some schools have lots of required stuff but you shouldn't be in a situation where you don't have any time to do Anki, assuming Anki is your primary study method.

One other thing you could do: install the postpone card reviews addon to Anki. This allows you to delay all of your reviews by however number of days you need to, so you don't have to come back to an enormous number of cards if you have to miss a day or want to take a week off. Ideally you wouldn't need to use it much, but you could use it if you have to, and it might help with some of your anxiety if you know there's a way to keep Anki going without being overwhelmed even if you aren't able to get to your cards on a certain day.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't imagine getting through medical school without Anki tbh; however, if it is negatively impacting you, and you are able to do well without Anki, then go for it.

I managed to cut down on my anki anxiety by prioritizing getting through as many cards in the AM as possible. I downloaded the mobile app to do cards while at the gym, in elevators, etc, which has also helped.
This has been key for me too. Can't do any cards after class when my brain is fried. Wake up a couple hours earlier, make your coffee and grind out your flashcards. It will pay off huge long term.

Reactions: 1 users
The beauty of Anki is that you don't need to get it right the first time. If you don't know, just move on. Keep moving on.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think your lectures are important? Not meaning that sarcastically lol

My lectures were useless. I never listened to them and just skimmed the powerpoints the night before the tests to try to pick up odd facts that might be tested. Studying off of board prep materials alone was enough to keep me in the top 1/4 of my class. IMO, if anki is causing a problem with lectures, I'd just give up the lectures.

The beauty of Anki is that you don't need to get it right the first time. If you don't know, just move on. Keep moving on.

I hate ANKI but I have noticed this with people who succeed with ANKI. They're grinders who are able to shrug off getting things wrong. They guess, move on, guess better next time, repeat, get it spot on eventually.

I hate ANKI but I have noticed this with people who succeed with ANKI. They're grinders who are able to shrug off getting things wrong. They guess, move on, guess better next time, repeat, get it spot on eventually.
exactly. It works only if you're ok with moving on without knowing it the first several rounds OR FOR SEVERAL DAYS even, but you trust that eventually it'll stick.

And this works because the stuff that is more difficult to memorize may not be important to memorize in the first place, so what happens if you move past the low yield stuff and remember the high yield stuff.

But I find that with Anki, it reduces making logical connections. That's the difference between an A and a B. You can memorize your way to a B, but to get an A you need logic and memory which is difficult. However, logic and time management is more difficult to standardize with studying.

So I use anki to guarantee a B first and if I have additional time, I'll study more logic stuff.
But I'm totally totally fine with a B, so I use anki.

Anki forces me to continually confront my mistakes. Our brains feel more comfy studying the things we grasp and know well, but anki's algorithm is the exact opposite; you spend all the time being uncomfortable.

That's why it works, but it's work.

I keep getting anxious about anki because sometimes I don’t have time to do the cards after looking at the lecture. I sometimes can’t concentrate on lectures because I get anxious at times. Should I just drop it and learn things the old school way (taking notes and making outlines etc.)?

It’s just that when I did use it, it helped me remember things well on quizzes/exams. It helps me learn things well.

Am I stressing out and worrying too much? :(
Get the anxiety taken care of, stat.

This is why you're a PhD and not a physician. lol. Imagine telling a patient to "get over" their anxiety.

To OP, what's the worst that will happen if you miss an Anki card? Anki is a learning tool, not an assessment tool. Just stick with it. Consistency is the only thing that matters when it comes to Anki.
I often point out that reading comprehension is extremely important to medical students for their exams, boards and Beyond.

Please point out where I told the OP to get over their anxiety issues

• Haha
This is why you're a PhD and not a physician. lol. Imagine telling a patient to "get over" their anxiety.

To OP, what's the worst that will happen if you miss an Anki card? Anki is a learning tool, not an assessment tool. Just stick with it. Consistency is the only thing that matters when it comes to Anki.

Reading comprehension was not your strength in this moment...that said I think you jumped the gun here Goro. From prior posts, I gather you mean pretty well when you advise people to seek help. I do the same many times. In this case, we have no evidence to differentiate between normal anxiety studying induces and anxiety which is interfering with OPs ability to study. I suppose OP should clarify.

OP I've noticed lot of people have success with ANKI. It's spaced repetition which is the recipe for learning a lot of new terminology, definitions, and information that goes along with it. If you need someone to tell you this, there is nothing wrong with going to lecture, sitting in the first row, taking notes on your hand-outs, and then after lecture customizing your study technique to lectures. If it's anatomy muscles/etc with insertion/origin/function, etc. or pharm with MOA, side effects, index flash cards may be your go to...meanwhile if it's a lecture on ABGs maybe practice questions is a better idea. If it's several diseases, maybe making a table to compare and contrast them will be high yield. Incorporate groups study to gain insight into things other people are realizing that you aren't. You don't need to use ANKI if you find that you're struggling with it.

Last edited:
If it's helping you, then you might be able to find some time for it? If you can't find any time for it, then you already have your answer.

Anki isn't the only way to do well. Making notecards and studying from those is also helpful, especially when spaced repetition is incorporated. However, I've found that it's way more time intensive to be making flash cards than to just either make an Anki card or using a pre-made deck.

Reactions: 1 user