Any 4 yr OMS for me - just get me in!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybobnomore

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 3rd yr with GP in mind, i took the NB part 1 just to pass and got an 88. Now i want to do OMS b/c i finally got to do rounds in the dept. and loved it.

i know i basically shot myself in the foot for not studying hard for boards and instead surfing all day...but is it too late for me to get into a OMS program? what are my chances if i did some externships/research?

i'd like to get in ANYWHERE!

Members don't see this ad.

billybobnomore said:
As a 3rd yr with GP in mind, i took the NB part 1 just to pass and got an 88. Now i want to do OMS b/c i finally got to do rounds in the dept. and loved it.

i know i basically shot myself in the foot for not studying hard for boards and instead surfing all day...but is it too late for me to get into a OMS program? what are my chances if i did some externships/research?

Its simple, retake your boards and do an intern year somewhere you may eventually want to match. If your good and a hard worker, you'll be fine. You just added an extra year to your training.

billybobnomore said:

There has been a gradual shift in the last couple of years. I've noticed the programs which have had positions go unmatched were mostly 6 year programs. Now from talking to program directors, the four year programs have become a little more competitive than they used to be. This I understand is cyclical. 10 years ago 6 year spots were far more competitive. The above advice is critical...retake boards (shoot for a 90) and spend a year at a program being an intern. Extern a few times before you become a licensed dentist (it is hard to do after you have completely graduated from dental school).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a 1 yr OS intership and impress the faculty. Some programs also give you a GPR certification for completing the intership which is an added bonus.

I do believe that in a few years the 4yr programs are going to be supercompetitive so act asap.

What OMFScardsFan said.

billybobnomore said:

You decided to surf instead of study for boards? This confuses me because surely you were going to study for more than one day regardless. The other thing is that making it through an OMS residency will probably be the most intensive and rigorous thing you've ever done. It would be my advice to make sure your priorities are in order before trying to embark on such a demanding task.

billybobnomore said:

I think its hit or miss. I got a 94 and was in the top 10-15. Guess what, i didnt match. So there is no hardcore number that you need. I must say though, I was pretty confident at the interviews and maybe it showed.........Drillin, fillin, and content.

inyomouf said:
I think its hit or miss. I got a 94 and was in the top 10-15. Guess what, i didnt match. So there is no hardcore number that you need. I must say though, I was pretty confident at the interviews and maybe it showed.........Drillin, fillin, and content.
If you had a 94 and top 10-15 your attitude must have sank you. My professional opinion.

So I guess a 91 won't get you a 6yr position especially if you were a sub 3.0 undergrad club member? Does anyone have any advice?

inyomouf said:

How many interviews did you attend and what are you doing now (did you reapply)?

shabu2 said:
So I guess a 91 won't get you a 6yr position especially if you were a sub 3.0 undergrad club member? Does anyone have any advice?

From our programs standpoint, your undergrad GPA is worth about 2% of the total equation. Don't sweat it! No one will ask you what happened 7 years ago in physics that you got a D (the petty stuff-don't sweat it). Dental school, NBI, externships, 4 OMFS letters of recommendation (the meat and potatoes-hope you have it!). Got it?

esclavo said:
From our programs standpoint, your undergrad GPA is worth about 2% of the total equation. Don't sweat it! No one will ask you what happened 7 years ago in physics that you got a D (the petty stuff-don't sweat it). Dental school, NBI, externships, 4 OMFS letters of recommendation (the meat and potatoes-hope you have it!). Got it?

Doesn't the entrance into the medical school depend on the medical school committee at most programs? Also, I hear they like candidates with at least 95 Part I because no one has failed USMLE I with a 95+ part I.

shabu2 said:
Doesn't the entrance into the medical school depend on the medical school committee at most programs? Also, I hear they like candidates with at least 95 Part I because no one has failed USMLE I with a 95+ part I.

Some schools such as Vandrerbilt and Emory will require a specific undergrad gpa to recieve 6 year oms interviews (per their med school). Most other 6 year programs out there only require you get 90 on the boards, because there was some study done that did a correlation between board scores and passing the usmle step 1.

Yah-E said:
How many interviews did you attend and what are you doing now (did you reapply)?

I got 8 interviews. Vandy, Alabama, Emory, Jax, UF G, Case, VCU, and Louisvillle. I ranked them in about that order more or less. I a reapplying this year again after being in privates for 2 years. I am elated with general dentistry but still have the OS burn. Applying to 15 programs.

inyomouf said:
I got 8 interviews. Vandy, Alabama, Emory, Jax, UF G, Case, VCU, and Louisvillle. I ranked them in about that order more or less. I a reapplying this year again after being in privates for 2 years. I am elated with general dentistry but still have the OS burn. Applying to 15 programs.

Good luck, perhaps we'll bump into each other in the interview (if I get any) trails! :thumbup: