Any advice for a Future Premed Student (THis fall)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amherstguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forums. I just wanted any advice about anything regarding the whole premed experience. I am going to be a premed at Amherst College this fall. My first semester I am taking a First year seminar, elementary spanish, chemistry and calculus. Any advice on grades, ecs's, anything...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

study hard, get off to good start, get some experience, study for the MCAT, blah blah blah, you can go back and see hundreds of threads on med school admissions pointers.

But first above all, find something that interests you and you're good at ENJOY YOURSELF while you're in college. Although you don't ever want to slack off at any point, the most important thing you're going to learn about in the next 4 years is yourself, so take notes and pay attention.

Hi! Welcome to SDN!

Most importantly: study hard and play hard. Make sure to have a balance, always. Take classes that you like and not ones that you think med schools will like.
Get involved and take advantage of everything college has to offer.

Be happy and enjoy! :clap:

Need nething: pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice:

Not every person who says they are going to be pre-med when they start freshman year ends up still being pre-med when they graduate. Don't be one of these wash-outs. Never falter, never waiver, never give up.

Oh, by the way, being pre-med is easier than a lot of people think. Have some fun while you're in college.

also - make sure you really want to do medicine.
this might get me flamed - but I feel like too many people look to medicine without a realistic understanding of themselves. i've worked for a year coming out of school and by the time I start school, I will have worked for two. it is SOOO worth it. it really gives you a much broader perspective.
so my point is try and keep an open mind because yeah ok, medicine is cool - but there are a lot of really cool things out there too, so dont be afraid to try them.
but always always always get good grades.
the classes arent hard - really, they're not. someone's getting A's that should be you. a B+ is mediocre and anything less is a failure. hard core, I know, but thats the calibre of student that you will be competing against.

Drink lots of orange juice.

I think the first couple years you really gotta pay your dues. If you perform well and ignore the distractions, you'll be much less stressed later. But yea, there's nothing like college and you should enjoy your 4 years. I guess it's finding a balance between the two. But by the time you apply, it will be even more competitive so getting good grades seems almost mandatory.

Oh yea, seek out volunteer and research positions asap. Of course, you gotta want to do these things. It really helps to get a head start, especially with the volunteer thing, to know what you do and do not enjoy.