Any advice for a nontrad prospective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RI OT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone had any particular thoughts about this path. I'm in a career switch and want to go into OT. Until a few months ago there were no Rhode Island schools that offered a graduate program. Now New England Tech is offering an OT masters for people who have already completed their OT assistant associate's degree and are working in the field.

I need to work a day job while I'm in school, and so the OTA program to a Masters, while it looks like a five year path, is attractive. Also, not leaving the state for school is equally attractive.

I am working on pre-reqs at our community college in order to apply for a graduate program elsewhere, my original plan. I already have a liberal arts BA, ten years old, no science classes (ah... hindsight).

All this to say, any reason to not seriously consider the OTA to Masters program? I guess I'm a little concerned about NE Tech's brand new and only graduate program. One big flag I have: I don't see neuroscience anywhere as required in the course work, but I could maybe pick it up elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why do you want to do a OTA to OT path when you already have bachelor's degree? A regular masters OT program is about 2-2.5 years and I am sure you can finish all the prereqs within a year. So that saves you a lot more time than doing OTA to OT. You also don't need to finish prereqs before you apply. I would start with the science classes because most schools want to see if you can handle those, esp given your background in the liberal arts.

It looks like the NE Tech program is only for OTA's. I just need to go there and speak with someone from that program I think. thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to do a OTA to OT path when you already have bachelor's degree? A regular masters OT program is about 2-2.5 years and I am sure you can finish all the prereqs within a year. So that saves you a lot more time than doing OTA to OT.

The OP said that s/he was interested in the OTA-to-MOT program because it would allow him/her to continue working as an OTA and earn income while in school.

But, have you added up the costs and savings of each plan? It might be better to just take out Stafford and Grad PLUS loans, and do a regular MOT program. Like chupmunk said, you'd cut your schooling time in half! Most MOT programs last 2 to 2.5 years. You could be working as an OT and making twice the $ in half the time.

Obviously you know your life and your needs better than any of us, but I would really suggest looking into the details of doing a regular 2.5-year MOT degree, and seeing if you could make that work for you.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do! :luck:

Most people don't go the OTA -> OT route, especially if you all ready have your bachelors degree. It'll take you 2.5 years to complete OTA and same amount of time to complete MOT. Do you HAVE to work? Most people don't work while in OT school as it's very rigorous. I'm sure if you look though, you can find a school that will allow you to enroll part time but IMHO I think you should make the sacrifice and go for it. You'll be finished in no time.

Good luck!