Any advice/opinions would be appreciated on my circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldtime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether or not I have any chances of getting into med schools with my scores and circumstances. Also, should I try to explain in detail some issues I faced senior year?

I'm two years out of college and have been working in venture capital investing in technology and biotechnology companies for over a year.

My gpa is pretty low: Science gpa is 3.2 and overall is 3.4. My mcat score is 42 (14 BS, 14 PS, 14 VS).
My senior year spring quarter, I wasn't able to submit a take home final on time which led to two very damaging affects:
1. I received a D on my final which was most of my grade, so I received a D in the class.
2. That class was my last required class, consequently, the late submission prevented me from graduating on time. I managed to apply to graduate again once my grade for the class was processed and graduated in the coming fall quarter.

I had other things going on during that year. My parents were unable to support me for tuition and books, so I was tutoring and working campus jobs every day along with my other commitments as a staff member in a freshmen dorm and laboratory assistant. And this probably sounds like another excuse but my parents were battling over my younger siblings' custody, so I was heavily involved in that my senior year. I know that none of this actually excuses my late take home final, as I should not have let other matters affect my academics and I should have been better at managing my time. So, I'm unsure whether I should try to explain my situation in my application since I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. At the same time, I realize the D and late graduation are major weaknesses in my application and may need to be addressed.

Any advice would be highly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You would get a better response to this in the "What Are My Chances" forum. :)

Killer MCAT, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was hoping to get some opinions on whether or not I have any chances of getting into med schools with my scores and circumstances. Also, should I try to explain in detail some issues I faced senior year?

I'm two years out of college and have been working in venture capital investing in technology and biotechnology companies for over a year.

My gpa is pretty low: Science gpa is 3.2 and overall is 3.4. My mcat score is 42 (14 BS, 14 PS, 14 VS).
My senior year spring quarter, I wasn't able to submit a take home final on time which led to two very damaging affects:
1. I received a D on my final which was most of my grade, so I received a D in the class.
2. That class was my last required class, consequently, the late submission prevented me from graduating on time. I managed to apply to graduate again once my grade for the class was processed and graduated in the coming fall quarter.

I had other things going on during that year. My parents were unable to support me for tuition and books, so I was tutoring and working campus jobs every day along with my other commitments as a staff member in a freshmen dorm and laboratory assistant. And this probably sounds like another excuse but my parents were battling over my younger siblings' custody, so I was heavily involved in that my senior year. I know that none of this actually excuses my late take home final, as I should not have let other matters affect my academics and I should have been better at managing my time. So, I'm unsure whether I should try to explain my situation in my application since I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses. At the same time, I realize the D and late graduation are major weaknesses in my application and may need to be addressed.

Don't make excuses, just explain the situation and describe what you learned from it. I had a low GPA as well, but my MCAT (34, good, but nowhere near yours, :laugh:) and good EC's saved me I think.

Your sky-high MCAT will probably guarantee a couple interviews given you have the requisite EC's and apply broadly. Represent yourself well in the interviews and I think you'll be fine.

Wow OP, a 3.4 with a 42 is a very unique situation, from a quick glance at published statistics from the AAMC there have only been about 100 people with stats similar to yours in the past couple of years. I won't even hazard a guess at your chances but good work with the MKitten.

A 42 MCAT will definitely buy you some love. I'd be surprised if you can't wrangle at least a few interviews at MD schools..

DO programs will take you in a heartbeat, no questions asked.