Any advice? Words of encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbars005

Reaction score
Hi everyone... I was hoping someone might have some words of encouragement or advice for me.
I have been an aspiring doctors for a long time. Even after I’ve explored other options this is the only career I feel excited about. Unfortunately I had a rough go during college due to family and personal issues... my mental health got just about as bad as it gets. I self-harmed through out almost all 4 years (almost at the 1 year free mark now though), I also had gotten very close to ending my life..
I’ve been doing better, thank God,for the past year and improving myself. However, my GPA still shows all the times I let school go (sGPA: 2.34 cGPA:2.8)

I’ve been told numerous times to give up and do something simple because I’m not made for it. I just got my first rejection letter from a masters program that I was hoping I would get into and help me improve... certain member of my family took the news worse than I did. I was told I’m a lost cause, a failure and a disappointment. They also told me to stop taking advice from others “because they want to succeed and make you fail”. I don’t know who to believe/trust... on one hand they’re my family and, should, want what’s best for me. On the other hand, I don’t think my friends would want to bring me down...

Is it worth it for me to try anymore? I’ve given everything to take back the times depression won over me and yet the effects are still there. How can I improve myself? Is it even possible?

I was so proud of myself for not self-harming for a year and having been free of depression for the last six months... but I’ve had a hard June so far and I’m slipping back and idk what to do. Please... if you have any advice... please?

Members don't see this ad.

We at SDN take self harm very seriously.
We cannot offer more than to encourage you to think of your health first and re-consult your physician or therapist regarding your "slippage."
There are many ways to be of service.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.