Any advice would be appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anthony78001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
Since this site has been helpful in answering any questions I've had about applying, I thought I'd ask for advice about which schools I'd have the best chance of being accepted into. I am applying to med schools as well as masters programs. If I have overlooked any programs I might be able to get into please let me know. I've taken practice MCATs and have score between 27-30 assuming I obtain a score in this range when I take the MCAT in August, what are my chances? Thank you for any advice.

Some stats
3.19 Science and overall GPA
5 years of paid clinical experience in a hospital
2 semesters of research experience
Have shadowed numerous physicians, I've shadowed the physician writing the D.O LOR since 2009.

Schools applying to

Medical Schools
• Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- 1) Erie, PA 2) Brandenton, FL
• Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
• Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences-WA
• Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine- 1) New York, NY 2) California 3) Nevada
• West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
• Lincoln Memorial University- Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine- TN
• Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
• Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine- IN
• Campbell University of Osteopathic Medicine- North Carolina
• Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine- Colorado
• Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
• William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Master’s Programs

Barry University-Biomedical Science Degree
University of South Florida-MS in Medical Science
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine-MS Biomedical Science
Touro COM- MS Interdisciplinary Studies in Biological and Physical Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine at any one of them

Hey everyone
Since this site has been helpful in answering any questions I've had about applying, I thought I'd ask for advice about which schools I'd have the best chance of being accepted into. I am applying to med schools as well as masters programs. If I have overlooked any programs I might be able to get into please let me know. I've taken practice MCATs and have score between 27-30 assuming I obtain a score in this range when I take the MCAT in August, what are my chances? Thank you for any advice.

Some stats
3.19 Science and overall GPA
5 years of paid clinical experience in a hospital
2 semesters of research experience
Have shadowed numerous physicians, I've shadowed the physician writing the D.O LOR since 2009.

Schools applying to

Medical Schools
• Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine- 1) Erie, PA 2) Brandenton, FL
• Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine- Ft. Lauderdale, FL
• Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences-WA
• Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine- 1) New York, NY 2) California 3) Nevada
• West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
• Lincoln Memorial University- Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine- TN
• Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
• Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine- IN
• Campbell University of Osteopathic Medicine- North Carolina
• Rocky Vista University, College of Osteopathic Medicine- Colorado
• Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
• William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Master’s Programs

Barry University-Biomedical Science Degree
University of South Florida-MS in Medical Science
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine-MS Biomedical Science
Touro COM- MS Interdisciplinary Studies in Biological and Physical Sciences

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have an MCAT score yet. Most people score close to their range of practice scores, but I actually scored well below my average (35-36 average, 30 real deal). I was sick when I took it, but nobody cares...my score is my score.

Anyway, all that just to say, focus on the MCAT and get 26+ at least and you should do fine. If you do get in your range, you'll be fine.

Normally I'd advise against PNWU for most folks because they are VERY regionally biased (though for all I know you could be from the PNW), but the one thing that seems to get people interviews there from outside the region is clinical experience...

There are a few others, depending on MCAT I'd recommend AZCOM, Western (either campus), ATSU (either campus).

Goro, with him taking his MCAT in August and getting a score in September--do you not feel that that would be a little late?

Goro may say differently, but I don't as long as the applicant is ready to submit the moment the MCAT scores arrive. I was in this position 3 years ago and didn't even end up submitting till Oct (sept MCAT) and most all schools I contacted assured me I wasn't too late. Some of them were barely starting to interview at that point.

Nope..it's a long interview cycle. If he interviews in Jan/Feb as opposed to Oct/Nov, he'll still be OK. Now, I wouldn't recommend waiting until January, though.

Goro, with him taking his MCAT in August and getting a score in September--do you not feel that that would be a little late?