Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonedrone14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...I'm a super confused third year in search of advice. I've been all about ortho and getting everything ready to apply for that, but I did two weeks of trauma and spent a lot of time in the ED and really was surprised at how much I enjoyed that also. So now I have a dilemma...I've already done my ortho rotation for 3rd year and loved it...but also loved being in the ED. The one caveat is that at my school the trauma team which was all surgery residents handled all the trauma codes...in a place without a surgery residency, is this often the case? Or as an EM attending outside of academia, would I be running the trauma?

I've been reading this forum all day as I don't know much about EM with the exception of my two weeks spent there...so any advice that yall have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Trauma is a very small part of EM.
If that is the only part you like, do not go into EM.

Trauma is run differently depending on where you work.
Some places EM docs do a lot, some places they don't even walk into the trauma bay.

I see. And yeah at my school they don't come into the trauma bay.

I guess I just need to do some shadowing and see what different places are like. I wasn't a fan of the continual radiation exposure from the c arm in ortho so I guess there are drawbacks to everything and nothing will be a "perfect" fit.