Any Audiology Applicants Fall '08?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got letter from Montclair State University.:)

The progam is 25 minutes away, but 118 credits are required to graduate.

I will still go to an upcoming interview.

My GRE was not the greatest but the essay was comprehensive.

My recs came from a Ph.D., an M.D., an Ed.D., and an Assistant Dean.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got letter from Montclair State University.:)

The progam is 25 minutes away, but 118 credits are required to graduate.

I will still go to an upcoming interview.

My GRE was not the greatest but the essay was comprehensive.

My recs came from a Ph.D., an M.D., an Ed.D., and an Assistant Dean.

Very true. I increased my GRE......still below yours but completed phonetics, basic audiology, and hearing science with A's. I became a COHC, and joined the American Auditory Society. I took greater care in writing the essay this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is unfortunate that people are trying to use gender and nationality to perhaps explain away admissions decisions with which they disagree. I would argue that this is not the case. At Vanderbilt, there are 0 male first year AuDs. There are 0 second year AuDs. The first sign of unfair pro-testosterone bias is in the third year, where there are 2 males out of a class of 13! Surely this rampant bias must be stopped. As for international students, during my application process, I spoke with a graduate professor on the phone who expressed the sentiment that it is less likely that an international student would be admitted. This is due to the increased complexity of them joining the program. It is easier for a person to come from Louisiana than London. Though this was not a Vanderbilt professor, I do note that there are no foreign students in Vandy's audiology. Also, there are no admitted foreign students at Vanderbilt, U of Memphis, University of Tennessee-Knoxvile, or Purdue, that I am aware of. I was admitted to all those programs and have asked about the other admitted students. Perhaps my sample size is too small. Perhaps the male-female ratio of every program I have ever looked at is also an outlier, because they are all overwhelmingly female. What is more likely, however, is that the few males attempting to go into the field have a very specific, definable reason for doing so. This is more conducive to the writing process than a more generic desire to help people. Just as males in nursing can often recount a specific moment in time where they set there mind to joining a female dominated field, to perhaps a lesser extent, the same is true of males in Audiology. All of this is to say that we should not blame a bias towards others for our rejections. Instead, we should admit to ourselves that we will not always win. That is fine.

I am going to visit U of Memphis next week if anyone would like any information about the program. I also have tons of information about Vanderbilt, as I have already taken some grad classes.

I would like to ask you opinion about programs, since you are doing the same type of research I am. Have you heard good things about UTK's program? I went to visit but I am looking for some outside opinions from people not connect to UTK (if possible any specific university. I am having a hard time finding an unbias opinion on the quality of programs. I do not want to assume that they are equal (even though the professors at each have said so thus far) without seeking out several untainted opinions.

Also have you heard anything about East TN states program? Gallaudet's? UConn's?

THANKS!!

I have done a good bit of research about UTK and ETSU, because I thought of both of them as potential schools. In the end, I applied to only UTK out of the two. The reason for doing so was primarily based upon location. It is not that I have some great need for nightlife, but because the diversity of experiences at ETSU I felt would be somewhat limited. With the small number of people in the vicinity, I find it unlikely I will randomly have contact with the numbers and types of patients that I want. Perhaps someone who has attended their program can correct me. Also, with a smaller school comes less funding for the program. I don't mind taking loans, but I want my program to have all the equipment and facilities that it needs. I worry that while perhaps the medical school helps in this regard, the Audiology program might be overshadowed. It seems to me to be the type of town where ABRs would be the first test for neuropathy instead of MRIs. This won't do unless one is looking to continue working in the same type of small town. As for UTK, my only concerns are the lack of funding for the fourth year externship and the dearth of concentrations. As I recall, the only one available at UTK is habilitation. While tinnitus is my first choice of study, it is not available in tennessee. Therefore, I want to focus on cochlear implants. As I see it, this cannot be done to any great extent at UTK. Other than that, the medical center looks like it will provide a wealth of clinical experiences. Perhaps UTK is more standard and Vandy is abnormally good. I don't know, as vandy is my main experience. I am declining Purdue due to its 5 year AuD requirement and probably declining UTK due to the lack of their funding me. Being from Nasvhille, I am very fond of UTK, so I have nothing against them. As one of my Aud profs told me, all decent schools will get you a job just as easily. The difference between them is how many job offers you'll have to choose from. Therefore, it is down to U of Memphis and Vandy. Neither is funding me and the difference between costs is about 60k. I'll be at Memphis for the Midsouth Audiology Conference on thursday and friday, so I'll check out the school and let you know what I think.

I too am slightly irritated by professors' unwillingness to speak candidly about programs. When you get accepted by a program, you should be offered a student or two to speak with. This is invaluable. If it isn't offered, you should ask. Rankings are only so helpful, because they are based on research output, not clinical audiology training. Therefore, get what you can out of professors, make sure your decision is financially feasible (You'll only make 50k when you graduate), visit if you can, and speak with students. These are the things that I am trying to do. I can tell you later if it worked out.

I have done a good bit of research about UTK and ETSU, because I thought of both of them as potential schools. In the end, I applied to only UTK out of the two. The reason for doing so was primarily based upon location. It is not that I have some great need for nightlife, but because the diversity of experiences at ETSU I felt would be somewhat limited. With the small number of people in the vicinity, I find it unlikely I will randomly have contact with the numbers and types of patients that I want. Perhaps someone who has attended their program can correct me. Also, with a smaller school comes less funding for the program. I don't mind taking loans, but I want my program to have all the equipment and facilities that it needs. I worry that while perhaps the medical school helps in this regard, the Audiology program might be overshadowed. It seems to me to be the type of town where ABRs would be the first test for neuropathy instead of MRIs. This won't do unless one is looking to continue working in the same type of small town. As for UTK, my only concerns are the lack of funding for the fourth year externship and the dearth of concentrations. As I recall, the only one available at UTK is habilitation. While tinnitus is my first choice of study, it is not available in tennessee. Therefore, I want to focus on cochlear implants. As I see it, this cannot be done to any great extent at UTK. Other than that, the medical center looks like it will provide a wealth of clinical experiences. Perhaps UTK is more standard and Vandy is abnormally good. I don't know, as vandy is my main experience. I am declining Purdue due to its 5 year AuD requirement and probably declining UTK due to the lack of their funding me. Being from Nasvhille, I am very fond of UTK, so I have nothing against them. As one of my Aud profs told me, all decent schools will get you a job just as easily. The difference between them is how many job offers you'll have to choose from. Therefore, it is down to U of Memphis and Vandy. Neither is funding me and the difference between costs is about 60k. I'll be at Memphis for the Midsouth Audiology Conference on thursday and friday, so I'll check out the school and let you know what I think.

I too am slightly irritated by professors' unwillingness to speak candidly about programs. When you get accepted by a program, you should be offered a student or two to speak with. This is invaluable. If it isn't offered, you should ask. Rankings are only so helpful, because they are based on research output, not clinical audiology training. Therefore, get what you can out of professors, make sure your decision is financially feasible (You'll only make 50k when you graduate), visit if you can, and speak with students. These are the things that I am trying to do. I can tell you later if it worked out.

:thumbup: Thanks a bunch. I have come to the same conclusion, and seeing how I will be moving a family financially feasible is a must.

I am finishing up the Au.D. program at Vanderbilt now. I also went to Northwestern for undergrad. I would be happy to answer any questions about these programs. It would be nice to be able to tell people what I wanted to know before coming here (that my overly school-spirited tour guides wouldn't answer). :)

I am finishing up the Au.D. program at Vanderbilt now. I also went to Northwestern for undergrad. I would be happy to answer any questions about these programs. It would be nice to be able to tell people what I wanted to know before coming here (that my overly school-spirited tour guides wouldn't answer). :)

When you were looking at schools who besides Vandy did you apply to? Also since you have been in the AuD program have heard about any up and coming programs?

In regards to Northwestern: How is the cost of living in Chicago?

I just got back from the Midsouth Conference and spent two days visiting the U of Memphis if anybody needs any information.

When I was applying I applied to the following schools.

1. Northwestern
2. Vanderbilt
3. University of Washington
4. University of Maryland
5. University of Texas-Austin
6. University of Texas-Dallas
7. UCSD/San Diego State
8. UNC-Chapel Hill
9. University of Arizona
10. JMU

I got into all of them except for UNC (I was waitlisted). I visited UT-Austin, University of Washington, and I also visited Gallaudet (but decided not to apply afterwards)

As far as cost of living in Chicago... In Evanston (where your classes will be) I would expect to pay around 1000 for a not so nice one bedroom (read: no air conditioning, maybe a laundry room in the building, probably have to pay 100 or so extra a month to park a car, no dishwasher, etc.). Although I would say you can get a two bedroom for not much more maybe 1200-1500. I am also basing these estimates on when I graduated from there which was 2005 so it be worse now.

If you are willing to go farther away from school it gets a little better. Roger's Park is a neighborhood where a lot of graduate students live. It is undergoing gentrification so its kind of patchy, but overall safe enough and only a couple of miles from campus. A one bedroom in there would probably be about 800 or so.

Hope that helps

1. Northwestern
2. Vanderbilt
7. UCSD/San Diego State
8. UNC-Chapel Hill
9. University of Arizona
10. JMU

I got into all of them except for UNC (I was waitlisted). I visited UT-Austin, University of Washington, and I also visited Gallaudet (but decided not to apply afterwards)

As far as cost of living in Chicago... In Evanston (where your classes will be) I would expect to pay around 1000 for a not so nice one bedroom (read: no air conditioning, maybe a laundry room in the building, probably have to pay 100 or so extra a month to park a car, no dishwasher, etc.). Although I would say you can get a two bedroom for not much more maybe 1200-1500. I am also basing these estimates on when I graduated from there which was 2005 so it be worse now.

If you are willing to go farther away from school it gets a little better. Roger's Park is a neighborhood where a lot of graduate students live. It is undergoing gentrification so its kind of patchy, but overall safe enough and only a couple of miles from campus. A one bedroom in there would probably be about 800 or so.

Hope that helps

What made you not apply to Gallaudet? I will not be able to visit before I have to make my decision, so I'd love to hear about what you thought of the program, facilities, and faculty. Thanks :thumbup:

Mainly because I would feel unsafe living there. It is a pretty rough neighborhood (think: one set of bars across the windows was not sufficient). They have a gate around the university and a security guard at the gate, but he is deaf and I walked right by him without him noticing. Then I decided to go back and ask a question and I scared the **** out of him. So that didnt make me feel very safe. They also really want you to live in the dorm the first year if you don't know sign language and the dorms are really not very nice. I really didn't get a whole lot of information about the program at that open house. They didn't even show us the clinic. Sorry that wasn't more helpful

Xxx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from these schools? The wait is killing me!

University of North Texas
Northeastern
University of Northern Colorado
Akron/Kent (Northeast Constortium)

I've also applied to Northern Colorado and haven't heard anything yet, but after talking with a few other applicants at an interview at another school I decided that it wouldn't be the place for me in any case due to the nature of the location, but best of luck if you're looking to go there!

X

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I was doing a Google search on Au.D. program rankings and this forum popped up and I decided to join in on the fun :)

I wasn't really interested in being too awfully far from home, so I applied to UNC-Chapel Hill, ETSU, UTK, and Vanderbilt. I got into the first three and waitlisted at Vanderbilt, which surprised the heck out of me. :laugh: I figured they would reject me straightaway!

Right now I'm deciding between UTK and UNC... I've visited both and have been offered significant funding at UTK (would have to pay full tuition at UNC but I'm in-state so it's not that bad I suppose) but cannot seem to make a decision for the life of me. Glad to know I am not alone in this!

If anybody has any opinions on the strengths of the programs at UTK and UNC (for example, things you may have heard from professors, doctors, etc.) please share!

Good luck everyone with your decision-making!

PS- AuDTNstudent... I am pretty sure I had ETSU interviews (and Applebees!!) with you. Either that or you have someone running around out there with an almost identical school choice list and life situation! Haha :laugh:

Probably! LOL :laugh: How did you find out about UTK's funding you? I have asked but have not heard anything for sure yet. I am leaning towards them anyways though.

X

Last edited:
When choosing between UNC-Chapel Hill and UTK, the answer for me and those first years I have spoken to, is a resounding UNC. Though I have not heard anything near as dramatic as the undergraduate's experiences, UTK seems to be an up and coming program, that is not quite their yet. As we are entering in the Fall, we want a program that is already on top of its game. This info about UTK's reputation is coming from the professors of the other schools I am spoken with. As for my personal experience with UTK, I did find that they took a very long time returning emails and that not all emails were even returned. The fact that they took so long to return an email from a student that they had accepted might indicate some level of disorder. However, you can draw your own conclusions. The bottom line I have gathered from professors is twofold: There are very few Audiology programs that will be pleasing aesthetically (UW, UNC, WashU, Vandy). Great educations can be garnered from schools with broken ceiling tiles and 1970's wallpaper. U of Memphis comes to mind. Therefore, look at the professors and the types of audiologists that those professors produce. If you like what you see there, then go. Second, one will get a job just as easily from one top level school as another. The differentiation comes in the form of how many job offers one has upon graduation. We will all likely be working. Therefore, do not pay an additional 60K, because we think the name of a school and slightly superior rankings will take us to the next level. Your performance in your first position determines how great of a second position you receive, not your diploma. UTK is a fine school and I believe we could all learn to be highly competent audiologists through their program. However, frequent changing of professors and other general disorder is all a part of the growing pains any rising program will endure. I simply choose to avoid those pains if possible. Long story short, were I deciding between UTK and UNC and money was no matter, the answer is UNC 100/100. However, one should be very wary of heavy loans. None of us here will ever likely be rich.

X

Last edited:
They sent me an e-mail around the same time I got my acceptance letter in the mail from them, saying I qualified for some funding through a GA job. I have inquired as to the specifications but so far haven't gotten a response back. Do you remember when their notification deadline is? Is it April 15th or April 1st???! :eek:

They told me April 15th. I got my email of acceptance before the letter came but they didn't mention anything about assistance. I hope that doesn't mean bad news!!!

With a decent starting salary being in the 50k range, how much debt are you guys willing to accept? 50k? 80k? 100k? This is a major issue for me in choosing a particular school. It is an interesting question for those of us with less than comprehensive funding.

With the accept/decline deadline one week away, where has everyone decided to go? Hopefully this forum hasn't died one week too soon!

With the accept/decline deadline one week away, where has everyone decided to go? Hopefully this forum hasn't died one week too soon!

I've given notice to the University of TN that I will be attending there. My decision came down to either Gallaudet or UTK, I went with UTK because of there proximity to my hometown, debt vs. quality, job availablity for my husband and the cost of living there with my family.

Anyone else goning to be in my class?

X

Last edited:
I've decided on Chapel Hill! I just have to mail in my deposit and not forget. haha

I have three classmates going to UTK for Au.D. and one for speech, and they are sweet and awesome girls. I know you will enjoy their company :)

How is it going for everyone else?

congrats elcobb on choosing UNC! that was my top choice but i got waitlisted. at this point i'm thinking i might take a year off to do some clinical work (right now i only have research experience) in a speech and hearing clinic to see whether i'd like audiology or speech path better. i'd go into either field for the same reason (helping kids with language delays due to hearing loss/any other reason) but i'm still on the fence.

Hey! I was wondering if anyone is going to Auburn University for their Au.D? I am looking into housing and wondering if anyone who's accepted is also looking into a place to live around the campus!! Thanks

UIowa, anyone else with Midwest flavor?

With four days to go before the deadline, I am down to Vanderbilt vs. University of Memphis. I got a GRA position at Memphis, so it would be free. I am still trying to work out money at Vanderbilt. I guess I will be deciding late Monday night!

So today's the day... Where's everyone going?

UTK 1

copy and update with your info.

So with over 5000 views on this thread, only two people have actually decided which school they will attend?

So with over 5000 views on this thread, only two people have actually decided which school they will attend?

many have declared their intent throughout the thread.

I've decided on Chapel Hill! I just have to mail in my deposit and not forget. haha

I have three classmates going to UTK for Au.D. and one for speech, and they are sweet and awesome girls. I know you will enjoy their company :)

How is it going for everyone else?

Congrats el

I am a student at UNC so if you have any questions before the Fall rolls around, feel free to send me a message and I can give you my email address.

I just came across this website- otherwise I would have answered your questions earlier in the application/decision process. :)

Good luck to everyone making your decisions!

Hello,
Anyone has any opinion about Minnesota and North Texas? Will the rank affect for finding externship sites?:)

The University of Tennessee is identifying which areas to cut to make up for a $21.1 million shortfall. It means sharp cuts on the Knoxville campus, including the elmination of three academic programs.
The Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology; the Industrial and Organizational Psychology graduate program in the College of Business; and the dance program in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences are all on the chopping block.
Those cuts require approval by the Board of Trustees at the June 19-20 meeting.
There were also cuts by leaving 44 unfilled faculty and staff positions empty and through reductions in planned maintenance, contracted services, travel, and technology and instructional resource purchases.
Cuts at UTK come to $11.1 million in all.
UT President John Petersen said the budget proposal is based on limiting proposed tuition increases to 6 percent. Both the budget and proposed tuition increase are subject to trustee approval.
Cuts occurred across the board:

• UT Chattanooga - $2.6 million
  • UT Martin - $1.9 million
  • UT Health Science Center - $2.6 million
An additional $3 million was cut from the Space Institute, the Institute for Public Service, the Institute of Agriculture, and system administration.

The University of Tennessee is identifying which areas to cut to make up for a $21.1 million shortfall. It means sharp cuts on the Knoxville campus, including the elmination of three academic programs.
The Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology; the Industrial and Organizational Psychology graduate program in the College of Business; and the dance program in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences are all on the chopping block.
Those cuts require approval by the Board of Trustees at the June 19-20 meeting.
There were also cuts by leaving 44 unfilled faculty and staff positions empty and through reductions in planned maintenance, contracted services, travel, and technology and instructional resource purchases.
Cuts at UTK come to $11.1 million in all.
UT President John Petersen said the budget proposal is based on limiting proposed tuition increases to 6 percent. Both the budget and proposed tuition increase are subject to trustee approval.
Cuts occurred across the board:

• UT Chattanooga - $2.6 million
  • UT Martin - $1.9 million
  • UT Health Science Center - $2.6 million
An additional $3 million was cut from the Space Institute, the Institute for Public Service, the Institute of Agriculture, and system administration.

:eek: I heard that they will be phasing us out over the next two to three years. BUt it's a four year program for those of us that are class of 2012! :scared: Does anyone out there have any more info on this, or any inside info. I wonder if we will be able to start our degree or if they will just cut us off? I also wonder if they do allow us to start our program will we be able to finish it?

1. Northwestern
2. Vanderbilt
7. UCSD/San Diego State
8. UNC-Chapel Hill
9. University of Arizona
10. JMU

Hope that helps

Hi I am new member. What did you think of University of Texas at Austin?

I am in the AuD program at Ohio University and love it. If anyone has any questions feel free to send them my way.

Hi,

I am considering audiology as a career option and hoping to get into one of the 2-year masters programs in australia. I chose it because it is a low-stress 1on1 9-5 job and I find helping people rewarding. I am also hearing-impaired and admire my audiologists. I was good at physics and maths in high school. I was previously a mechanical engineer but was so stressed out with solving mechanical problems, group meetings and tight deadlines. I just can't handle the stress in the corporate world. I was unhappy.

I want to ask for everyone's advice on the difficulty of audiology subjects.

Can I survive the course given that I had difficulty memorising biology/anatomy terms and concepts in high school?

Any tips on studying biology/anatomy subjects?
How about succeeding clinical work subjects?

I have good long term visual memory, but not short-term memory such as remembering people's names, etc.

Thanks everyone..

Hi,

I am considering audiology as a career option and hoping to get into one of the 2-year masters programs in australia. I chose it because it is a low-stress 1on1 9-5 job and I find helping people rewarding. I am also hearing-impaired and admire my audiologists. I was good at physics and maths in high school. I was previously a mechanical engineer but was so stressed out with solving mechanical problems, group meetings and tight deadlines. I just can't handle the stress in the corporate world. I was unhappy.

I want to ask for everyone's advice on the difficulty of audiology subjects.

Can I survive the course given that I had difficulty memorising biology/anatomy terms and concepts in high school?

Any tips on studying biology/anatomy subjects?
How about succeeding clinical work subjects?

I have good long term visual memory, but not short-term memory such as remembering people's names, etc.

Thanks everyone..