Any benefit to applying before Oct. 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ckdgusdl88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that ERAS will let me send off applications starting September 15, but Dean's Letter will not go online until October 1.

Is there any benefit to applying before October 1, since the application won't be complete at least until then?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed before, but essentially it would be of your best interest to apply as soon as ERAS opens. Even though derm programs make offers later than other specialties (most interview offers start coming in November ), you don't want to risk it. Programs may start screening applicants earlier this cycle, you never know. If you are waiting on a couple of LORs, you can still submit your application and upload letters later on. If you are waiting for the Dean's letter only, I would definitely encourage you to go ahead and submit your application. Most PDs can predict how your Dean's letter is going to look like based on your transcript, LORs, and if you are AOA.

I understand that ERAS will let me send off applications starting September 15, but Dean's Letter will not go online until October 1.

Is there any benefit to applying before October 1, since the application won't be complete at least until then?
Dermatology residencies will be taking their time when it comes to evaluating applications. They will be going thru it with a fine tooth comb, unlike other specialties (i.e. Internal Medicine). That being said your Dean's Letter release is irrelevant in this case bc all schools have to release it on Oct. 1 and can't release it earlier. What's holding back your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been discussed before, but essentially it would be of your best interest to apply as soon as ERAS opens. Even though derm programs make offers later than other specialties (most interview offers start coming in November ), you don't want to risk it. Programs may start screening applicants earlier this cycle, you never know. If you are waiting on a couple of LORs, you can still submit your application and upload letters later on. If you are waiting for the Dean's letter only, I would definitely encourage you to go ahead and submit your application. Most PDs can predict how your Dean's letter is going to look like based on your transcript, LORs, and if you are AOA.

Agreed, get it in as early as possible

And again, the more competitive (read: cushy) internship year programs will start screening right away

Reactions: 1 user
I'd just submit on September 15th. If you're applying in dermatology you're also applying to Prelim/Transitional programs and those places actually send out a lot of their interview invites the first 2 weeks of the match. Some places, by October 1st....there aren't any interview spots left. Your prelim application should be (roughly) identical to your derm application with the exception of specific recommendations and/or another personal statement if you're going to write another one.

Most people I've heard of delay so because of recommendation letters. If you're waiting on something like 1-2 recommendation letters, you can always submit with the ones you have and have it automatically send out the rest once they're received (hopefully before October 1st). That way you get reviewed and your application picked up promptly.

I waited maybe a week or so before I submitted ERAS since I was waiting for a change in status of one of my publications. I agree with everyone above that you don't need to wait for recommendation letters. You aren't going to decrease your chances at derm by waiting, I can't say for sure about competitive prelim spots. However if you have something that could make an actual difference in your CV such as a publication to be accepted then I would say it's worth it to wait a bit.

Thanks everyone. Nothing's holding me back in particular. I am hoping to have 2 more "submitted for publication" by the time I apply, but that kinda rests on the attending.

Maybe this is just me (and maybe you shouldn't take my advice), but if you're planning to submit an article a week or two after the September 15th deadline I don't think it's unfair to put "submitted" on your application. No one is going to put much weight on those "publications" anyway. A lot of people would just ignore an research publication unless it's "published" or "accepted/in press".

Maybe this is just me (and maybe you shouldn't take my advice), but if you're planning to submit an article a week or two after the September 15th deadline I don't think it's unfair to put "submitted" on your application. No one is going to put much weight on those "publications" anyway. A lot of people would just ignore an research publication unless it's "published" or "accepted/in press".
I agree. I don't remember what the choices are, but waiting to submit your app based on changing the status of your pubs is silly.

I get where all of you are coming from and I've seen attendings just count pubs. In fact, most just count. If you are at 7 or 8 and waiting will mean you get to double digits, then it's worth it. My opinion is that the only reason it is worth it to wait would be to add some submitted manuscripts. You could submit early and put submitted but you better be sure you follow through and truly submit.

I did not submit until the end of the 2nd week of Sept when the applications could have been submitted on Sept. 1 and I did just fine with interviews.

I get where all of you are coming from and I've seen attendings just count pubs. In fact, most just count. If you are at 7 or 8 and waiting will mean you get to double digits, then it's worth it. My opinion is that the only reason it is worth it to wait would be to add some submitted manuscripts. You could submit early and put submitted but you better be sure you follow through and truly submit.

I did not submit until the end of the 2nd week of Sept when the applications could have been submitted on Sept. 1 and I did just fine with interviews.

is it worth it to wait to see if any submitted pubs will become accepted? i guess we would have about 2 weeks until dean's letters go out. of course, journals can take forever and there's no way to know if 2 weeks would make a difference:(

is it worth it to wait to see if any submitted pubs will become accepted? i guess we would have about 2 weeks until dean's letters go out. of course, journals can take forever and there's no way to know if 2 weeks would make a difference:(

I don't think 2 weeks would make a difference. Just go ahead and submit. If any of your publications become accepted, it's a point of conversation at the interview

I can be so OCD that I made sure to get my apps in the day ERAS opened. Any additional information was uploaded as it came in (Dean's letter, publications, etc.)
I just figured first come, first served... Prelim apps were really important to get out quickly. I personally see no reason to wait ;)

Your prelim application should be (roughly) identical to your derm application with the exception of specific recommendations and/or another personal statement if you're going to write another one.

I was planning on applying to prelim programs with the same letters and recs as for my derm application. Why would someone change recommendations or write a different personal statement?

I was planning on applying to prelim programs with the same letters and recs as for my derm application. Why would someone change recommendations or write a different personal statement?
Prelim programs know you're applying derm and not going for categorical IM. No need at all to have your letters changed or your personal statement changed.

Reactions: 1 users
I can be so OCD that I made sure to get my apps in the day ERAS opened. Any additional information was uploaded as it came in (Dean's letter, publications, etc.)
I just figured first come, first served... Prelim apps were really important to get out quickly. I personally see no reason to wait ;)
can you change publication statuses after eras is submitted?

Yes. My acceptance of my JAAD publication came through in mid October and I uploaded it then.
Did you upload your application before then, and then just changed it October 1? I'm not familiar bc I just submitted and wasn't aware you could change it after submitting.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you upload your application before then, and then just changed it October 1? I'm not familiar bc I just submitted and wasn't aware you could change it after submitting.

I think you can change it, but that doesn't mean the program receives it. From the sense I've gotten, you don't "send" programs information after submitting. You can update your application but the program will only see it if they choose to re-download it. In other words, if they download your application on October 10th to review and you upload something on October 15th, they probably aren't ever going to see that anyway.

I think you can change it, but that doesn't mean the program receives it. From the sense I've gotten, you don't "send" programs information after submitting. You can update your application but the program will only see it if they choose to re-download it. In other words, if they download your application on October 10th to review and you upload something on October 15th, they probably aren't ever going to see that anyway.
Ah, ok, they have to RE-download it. It's not automatically updated. Not to mention they probably just print it out anyways so any updates online are useless.

Ah, ok, they have to RE-download it. It's not automatically updated. Not to mention they probably just print it out anyways so any updates online are useless.
As I recall, my updates became topics of conversation during interviews.

As I recall, my updates became topics of conversation during interviews.
Yes, I personally don't believe derm faculty make interview decisions based on submitted vs. accepted. It is something you can weave into interviews, however.